History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
No Lack of Heroism in Iraq
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 12:46 PM UTC
In my local paper - The Orange County Register (California), there was an article concering a reserve officer of the OC Sheriff's Department who was being awarded the Navy Cross for rescuing several wounded Marines during a firefight. This is about the third or fourth Marine awarded this honor from California.

The Navy Cross is the second highest medal for heroism under fire other then the MOH.

AMAZING THING - This received zero press outside of Orange County .

Sad really as heros who should be honored are not.

What will the press do when the first Medal of Honor is awarded?
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 576 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 01:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What will the press do when the first Medal of Honor is awarded?

Ignore and suppress as usual my friend, ignore and suppress. Sad.
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 04:47 PM UTC
From what I have read, on various blogs, not the MSM, their are many selfless acts of heroism, and like you said- they just pass on by...

As a 50 something old fart , I am in awe of this generation of soldiers, Marines, airmen and sailors and what they are doing for this country!

mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 07:01 PM UTC
We had a local Marine from the Buffalo area that was killed in Iraq on April 14, 2004. His actions ( Cpl. Jason L. Dunham ) saved the lives of two fellow Marines when he wrestled with an Iraqi insurgent who detonated a hand grenade that Dunham covered with his helmet and body to blunt the force. He has since been recommended for the nation's highest award, the Medal of Honor. That was only published in our local paper, have'nt heard anything since.
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 02:47 PM UTC
The only source of news about what is going on in Iraq that tells the real story, not just the negative side (which admittedly does exist but does not comprise the whole, or even the majority of the story) are the Blogs, especially the MILBlogs. A LOT of the Blogs come from the troops in the field, the ones doing the fighting.

I imagine a lot of you already are familiar with this alternative and very important information outlet but if you aren't I suggest you go see what is out there for yourself!

The link below is a good jumping off point to go exploring. The news is out there, you just need to dig for it and then tell anyone who will listen what IS going on!

http://www.lt-smash.us/

Jim