_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modelling mishaps
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 04:25 PM UTC
After reading Mike McMillan's (lavgmr) thread on a CA spill and with a suggestion by GaryKato, I decided to ask of your worst mishaps in your modelling career.

Personally, I haven't had anything serious. My problems fall into "What not to do, in retrospect, with a hobby knife". I'm not dangerous, arguably, just excessive.

Jeff
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 08:33 PM UTC
I haven't made it to A&E (Accident and Emergency) yet thanks to modelling, but I've got several reminders of the sharpness of scapels on various fingers.

And I once stuck my foot to the floor with superglue - dropped the bottle and didn't notice it spilled, then put my foot on the spill....
TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 206 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 11:04 PM UTC
cutted down the tip of my finger and a model burned down due a lighter, a glass of paint cleaner and my cousin
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,185 Posts
KitMaker Network: 224 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 02:41 AM UTC
I tend to try and catch dropped things before they hit the floor by quickly moving my legs together, and then I dropped an x-acto knife, well I caught it with the inside of my thigh and when I lept out of my chair, needless to say it still did'nt drop to the floor.
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I haven't made it to A&E (Accident and Emergency) yet thanks to modelling, ....

Oh ! I HAVE ! :-) :-) :-) I can ;laugh about it now but then it wasnt too nice !Iwas very young around 7 y/o/ .and my Dad who taught me everything artistic told me "under no circumstances must you use superglue or knives while i'm not with you" which in retrospect is very sensible indeed ,of couse then i thought he was simply holding me up in the learning process i was assembling some resin parts whilst he was away on business one day ,the parts very a very tight fit and I glued them up and pushedthem together keeping a very close eye on my subject ...and Click !!!I Managed to get superglue in my eyes ! the parts sprayed it everywhere and sealed my eyes shut! after several hours in the Eye hospital they declared me good to go
and since i have nt used any glued or knives without appropiate eye wear let that be a lesson to one and all because even know my vision in myleft eye is poor durig extreme hot and cold weather and frequently mists up
:-) :-) :-)
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 04:40 AM UTC
Fair amount of stabs and slices with #11 blades.No major Red Cross action When I was about 5,had the buhjeezus whupped outta me by Mom when I used her nail polish for hull paint.Note: no way you can politically defend taking a womans make up without permission.This IS a felony..........
Rick

steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

: no way you can politically defend taking a womans make up without permission.This IS a felony..........
Rick

:-) :-) :-) ~Too True mate !
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 05:46 AM UTC
Besides the odd cut finger, or super glue on the fingers, the only real modeling mishap I have is the headaches I get when using some of the chemicals. Testors cleaning solution for the airbrush is the worst. Even though I only use the stuff outdoors I seem to be really sensitive to it. Even the smell of it will give me a headache.

Of course there is always the "mishap" my wife can cause with the duster. I never have gotten my LRDG truck back together after she "cleaned" it.

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 06:12 AM UTC
I think mostly losing a critical piece is about as bad as it gets for me.
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 07:33 AM UTC
The blade broke on my hobby knife with 1/2 left in the plastic and the other 1/2 deep in my finger ( just don't get any blood on the DIRECTIONS! ) and Future any me don't get along I seem to be spilling it all the time. A "Thousand" small peices lay on the floor somewhere. But these are all part of modelling and it just wouldn't be the same without it| .

Bruce
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 513 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 08:05 AM UTC
Dropped a whole large bottle of Liquid Poly on my DC3 dakota!! It just melted away huge areas. I still need a set of 1/72nd wheels
apfsds
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 30 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 08:11 AM UTC
I have to admit ive only been to a+e once due to modelling.I slipped with a scalpel whilst trying to separate the two halves of a wheel,the blade went in handle deep at the base off my hand/top of my left wrist. Four hours in a+e and five stitches! But whats even worse is my wife never lets me forget it, i can no longer even look at a kit without her reminding me of my little mishap!!
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 08:31 AM UTC
No major cuts or glued appendages yet. Several lost parts are living in the carpet of the family room. I almost dropped my Sd.kfz 251yesterday while painting it. Luckily I just sort of juggled it and finally got it under control.

Probably the worst incident was a Tamiya M5A1which was my first build after about 30 years. I had read about using Turpenoid combined with pigments for weathering and decided to try it. Unfortunately I hadn't read enough about it and ended using the wrong type. The result was a model that is still tacky almost three months later. That was disappointing because I was really proud of the little guy.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 09:45 AM UTC
mauser, I am not sure, but maybe a flat coat over the model will cover over it.

Jeff
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 10:04 AM UTC
my worst is one time i was cuttting something for the wife and on the way back to the modeling desk I dropped the hobby knife... it fell point first and came to a stop sticking out of the top of my foot.
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 11:32 AM UTC
My exacto knife rolled off my bench landing with the blade down of course (Murphy's law). That itself was no big deal the problems were that:

1: I use sergical blades in my knife (extremely sharp)

2: The end point of the blade landed in my leg, not the floor.

I don't know what was worse, the blade going in or me having to pull it out.
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 769 Posts
KitMaker Network: 219 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 12:16 PM UTC
I did pretty much the same thing. X-Acto knife rolled off my workbench and I tried to catch it. Ended up hitting the handle and driving the blade deep into my thigh. Strangely enough, it didn't hurt. The first thing that came to mind was the scene from "Young Frankenstein" where Gene Wilder stabs himself with a scalple. I just sat there looking at and then decided "Well, I guess I better pull it out" Now THAT hurt! Ever since then, when something drops, I just let it go and try to watch where it goes. :-)

Jesse
whodini
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 359 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 12:45 PM UTC
Well....

One time when i was cutting a piece of balsa wood i slipped and sliced a 1 inch line into my wrist while cutting an artery... I was alone, but it didn't hurt, and I had to phone my mom at work she told me to go to the neighbours and on the way there i nearly fainted :-) I was later taken to the hospital and had the cut artery sewed closed (I have 2) and was sick from school for 2 weeks and also got to go to a wrestling match

Rob :-) :-)
Leopold
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 446 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 12:55 PM UTC
my cement spilled on the boxers..the seeped into my ''you know where''...it 'burned' like crazy
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 01:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Once i discovered the effects of mineral sprits on various paint colors, types and brands when i spilled my bottle of cleaner onto a rather good size pile of finished pices, luckey this was on my 1/38 B-25, any damage instantly turns into rust or a bullet hole.

What ?
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 01:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

my cement spilled on the boxers..the seeped into my ''you know where''...it 'burned' like crazy

Rule no. 1. Wear protecive clothing...... or in this case, wear clothing.....
Puma112
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 01:38 PM UTC
OK,

You can all start laughing now...my wife still does. About 2 years ago I had a bottle of super glue explode in my face and glue my eyes shut. I did not have my glasses I ware to see on at the time and i got lucky in that somehow I got my eyelids closed milli seconds before the arrival of the glue. No I was too stupid and blind and turning redder by the munite and did not visit the ER for long hours of sitting there and the following talks on safety. Go figure if this will happen to me again?!?!? And if you all think my wife will EVER let me live this, think again.

God was watching over me and needed a great laugh that day!

_GOTOTOP