Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
WWII stratedgies
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 07:54 AM UTC
Hey fellas,

Ok I wanted to make this post to find out what got foot soldiers killed the most in WWII. First ill start off with, What type of combat usually got them killed? I know that the Waffen-SS had unique tactics, what were their tactics? I heard a story that a group of 8 men took on 700+ men of a fallschirmjaeger battalion in 3 waves? Killing hundreds of enemies but not losing 1 of their own? They eventually surrendered after running out of ammo. How would somthing like this so tragic happen? Is combat in real life what they make it in the movies? I know somewhat about hand to hand, close combat because I somtimes go paintballing and last year I attended the Ohklahoma D-Day Tournament. I would not like any opinions, only facts. If you have any good combat pictures please post them!!!

Also, id like to know what type of combat equipment they lacked that actually could have kept them alive in say close combat.
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 324 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 08:37 AM UTC
Well, I know of some tactics that got a lot of people killed... own people that is.

Underestimation: the Germans did this when they invaded Holland. They lost about 80% of their paratroopers because the Dutch Fokker XXI's and G1's, while useless against ME 109's, were quite effective against Ju52's.

Also, a mere handfull of Dutch marines were able to hold the bridges in Rotterdam for 4 days, and would have held them longer if not for the surrender and bombadment. The Germans were amazed that it took only a handfull of determined men to defend those bridges ( they expected dozens )

Bad tactic 2.. to get your people killed: bad logistics.

This has caused Germany the war in Africa and in the Russian campaign... they would stretch their supply lines too long, which could then be attacked without any problem, thus causing the people on the front to be without water, ammo and food.

The allied forces, on the other hand, definately understood the logistics, and went to great length to make sure their front soldiers were adeaquately supplied with whatever they needed. ( the red ball express )

Richard 'Snowhand' Renes