_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Where do you get your pigment powder
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 10:47 AM UTC
Hello all

I want to get some pigment powders. I have a few of the mig colors I picked up at a show, but I am having a hard time finding them. My LHS doesn't carry them. I know mission models has them and that is where I am looking to order from at this point but would like to know who else I can get them from. I am supprised that squadron doesn't carry any pigment powders. I would also like to try some of the new MMP pigments but can't find ANYONE who carries them
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 11:04 AM UTC
Well Howdy! Andrew,

Long time no see (type)

Glad to see ya around. To answer your question, I buy all of my pigments from a local art supply store called Meininger's here in Denver. You can get a jar of different coloured powders that is ten times the size of Mig's jars. Not to say Mig's stuff isn't great stuff, it's just that you get a sizable amount for the same price. The only drawback is that you might have to custom mix them to potentially get the right shade you might be looking for.
But if standard colours like Burnt Sienna, or an Umber is what you're looking for, you might want to look up a good quality art supply store in your area
hope that helped ya.

Tread.

Oh, BTW, the brand name of pigments I use are called ' Schmincke ' and come in 100ml glass jars.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 11:13 AM UTC
Andrew - I use the set made by 5-Star Tools (VLS Corp) that they marketed a couple of years ago. I really like them, but when VLS Corp began to market MIG Productions items, their own pigments went away to market solely MIG items. You can get them from VLS Corp

Gunnie
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:37 PM UTC
As Treadhead says.....check out your local art store, as most carry pigment powders and are much cheaper than Mig's, MMP, etc, etc.

Now they don't have fancy names like African Sand, or Rusty Brown, but you can get a 100ml jar for like $10.

I just stopped in for the heck of it today to see if they actually had any....and low and behold, there they were. Lots of colors to choose from.
Leopold
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 446 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:45 PM UTC
well for me i would get some dry coloured chalks and scrape the pigments off using a knife
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 03:06 PM UTC
I recently picked up a set from Bragdon Ent. through Discount Model Haven't had a chanse to try them out yet though.....
TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 206 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 05:26 AM UTC
EBAY
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 06:15 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Leopold, that is a dandy idea, and one which I use as well.
But Andrew asked about pigment powders and there is a difference. As you probably know, pigments are the pure form of colour, while scrappings from a pastel chalk are much less pure.
Again, as you probably are already aware, there are times when very deep colourizations are needed in the nooks and crannies, and other times when just light 'dusting' is the affect you're after. Pigments and chalk scrappings address these different applications in their own inherent intensity....

Tread.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 08:01 AM UTC
Micro-Mark has a set of powders called "Doc O'Brien's Weathering Powders"...a set of twelve colors sells for $19.95 plus S&H.

www.micromark.com
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 09:47 AM UTC

Please pardon the question, but, does everyone know just how large a 100ml bottleis?

Tread.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 09:54 AM UTC
Yeah, 100ml bottle of pigments you are looking at like a large bottle of cough syrop full of pigments....for like $10
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 01:59 PM UTC
thanks for all the information guys.

Quoted Text

well for me i would get some dry coloured chalks and scrape the pigments off using a knife

I have used this method as well but after getting a single bottle of pigments at a show to try out I will never go back. The chalks will work for dusting but I find the pigment easier to work with and I had better results with them. Plus, you can mix them with other paint and shoot them through an air brush which I wouldn't try with chalk dust even though it may work.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 03:04 AM UTC

".......Plus, you can mix them with other paint and shoot them through an air brush which I wouldn't try with chalk dust even though it may work........"

Better than that Andrew, if you're even the slightest bit tired of using the same ol' spritz of Tamiya 'Buff' paint to simulate road dust on the lower third of your vehicle, you can instead try mixing white spirit, linseed oil, and the pigment powder colour of your choice and airbrush it on instead of the 'Buff'.
What this accomplishes is; a slight mixture of both a flat appearance (the pigments), and a hint of satin, or semi-gloss appearance (the white spirits/linseed oil). Giving you a far more accurate depiction of the different levels of "road dust" than the simple application of a quick spritz with 'Buff'....

Tread.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Long time no see (type)

It's good to be back. I took a short break in modeling while I was in an apartment with a 3 and 5 year old. I had to do my modeling on the kitchen table which meant every time I wanted to model I had to spend 15 minutes setting up and another 15 putting everything away. On top of that I couldn't focus that well while playing "keep the younglings away from razor blades, paint, and chemicals". It got to the point were it just wasn't fun. Now I will have my own space were I can leave everything out and keep the younglingsat a safe distance (until they are old enough to model with me.)

Quoted Text

try mixing white spirit, linseed oil, and the pigment powder colour of your choice and airbrush it on instead of the 'Buff'.

I will be giving that a try for sure. Do you have a rough idea on how much of each to put in you the mixture?
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 11:42 AM UTC
Do the pigments have to be mixed with an enamel based thinner?? Or could they be mixed with acrylic thinners as well???? Like Tamiya's thinner.

I could see mixing it with Tamiya clear and some thinner....maybe a touch of flat base to give it some texture.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 02:28 PM UTC
The best feature of pigments is that you can do whatever you want. I have yet to try many different methods but it basically you can add it to any medium you want. If you just use thinner I am sure you could spray it on just fine, but it most likely won't stick real well. But then again, it will most likely look more like dust than paint also. The best thing to do is get some and try out different ideas until you get the look you want. Most people don't use any meduim at all, they just apply a coat of dust and then don't touch it.
 _GOTOTOP