_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
sanding canopies
DinggoElite
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 38 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 03:24 PM UTC
guys i need help, im currently building a sea harrier FRS1 from tamiya . i sort of ruined the canopies while sanding ..ugly scrath marks very visible ..i read an article that provides the solution but im kinda hesitant to do it .. becoz it says na i should sand the whole canopy with fine grit sandpaper..then polish till clear and smoth once again ang canopy..since im new to this idea and this is also my first aircraft model im afraid that it will not come out well...can you recommend this technique??,hav anyone tried this , pls help..suggestions and recommendations to save my harrier.. thanks
buck
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 02:28 AM UTC
Hey there.

Dont panic. Ive had this sort of problem before. The technique is okay. Of course, you may not be able to remove the scratch if its too deep.

What you need to do is get a 1200 grit sandpaper, then sand the canopy where the scratch marks are. Then use the same grit sanpaper, dip in water, then sand the canopy again. By this time, your canopy will appear translucent, but hopefully the scratch shall have disappeared. If not, repeat the process.

The next thing to do is get some Glo metal polish. Using a clean, soft cloth, apply the polish on the canopy and buff until the plastic is clear. You might find the canopy clearer than before it had a scratch.

Hope this helps.
BlackThor_06
Visit this Community
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 04:09 AM UTC
When building Academy's 1/48 F-15E Strike Eagle, I had to eliminate a mold seam running across the top of the canopy from end to end.

I dealt with it using 800-grit sandpaper, then 1000-grit. Both using the 'wet sandin' method; done ever so gently. I did not sand the entire canopy, just the offending portions.

After the 1000-grit was over, I then polished the scratched areas using Tamiya Rubbing Compound - taking care not to add excessive pressure and break the brittle clear plastic; then dipped the whole canopy parts in Johnson's Wipe And Shine. Presto, no more seams, nor scratches.

Worked fine for me.

BTW, where can I get 1200+ grit sandpaper?

BT6
buck
Visit this Community
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 03:42 AM UTC
BT6,

You can find 1200-grit sandpaper at most leading hardware stores like Ace or Handyman. Just ask the salesclerk.

DinggoElite
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 38 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 02:47 PM UTC
thanks for the help guys ,
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 02:53 PM UTC
Toothpaste (not the clear gel type) also works as a polishing agent. I tried this one out when I removed the molded-on wiper from a canopy. I heard that peanut butter will also work but since I worship peanut butter I think it works better when spread on a hot fresh Pan de Manila pandesal. Yum!
BlackThor_06
Visit this Community
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 06:42 AM UTC
Thanks.

The highest grade I found in such hardware stores os 1000-grit. Hopefully I'll b eable to find one.

BT6
 _GOTOTOP