Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Hockey fan denounces NHL from the grave
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 11:22 AM UTC
OTTAWA (AP) - An ardent hockey fan who died this week used his obituary to denounce the NHL lockout.
Archie Bennitz, 84, instructed his son to criticize NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and union leader Bob Goodenow in his death notice.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3342040

Not to be disrespectful but I'd have to say he should get a life, but of course it's too late. This is really taking being a fan a bit too far.

The devil made me do that pun.

viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 05:24 AM UTC
In reality he has a point, albeit a weird way of letting his opinion known.

All this is, is the 2 biggest greedy bullies on the playground, both with a ton to loose(or so they say) if they back down.

On one side you have the owners who say they are loosing millions of dollars, which is all BS, if you understand the way business works. A business will come out with a prediction of how much money they are going to make in a fiscal year....say a arbitrarty number of $10 million. Now if that company makes more than $10 million, then they had a great year, but if they say only make $8million....then they chaulk it up as loosing $2million. Well they didn't really loose $2million, they just only made $8million...as their original prediction was that they would make $10 million that year........thats $10 million in profit. So in only making $8million, they are still making an $8million profit.....but because they predicted making $10million.....the $8million profit, is actually a $2million loss.

So in the end, the company still made a profit of $8million.....but yet the NHL owners say they are loosing their shirt.....now I admit that yes some of them probably are....I mean look at Florida and Tampa or Carolina, buildings that hold 15000 people....and on most nights they might get 5000 if they are lucky....I can see places like these loosing money.....but the big cities like NY, Montreal, LA, Toronto, etc, etc......give me a break....to say they are loosing any money at all, is BS in my books.....for every person that decideds not to pay $50 for a nose bleed seat, there are 3 other people fighting each other to get that seat.

Now on to the players.......well......just how many millions of dollars do you need to play a game?? This could transpose over to MLB and NFL as well.

When all your transportation costs are paid for, all you equipment is paid for, and all you have to do is basically show up and do your job......how many millions of dollars do you really need to do that job??

Personally I will watch AHL and Junior hockey......no, no big names, but at $10-$20 for a ticket, and its 2 to 3 times better hockey than you will see in the NHL, barring maybe the playoffs.....I will stick with the small time.....better entertainment for the money!!!!
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 05:36 AM UTC
THere was an article in the Detroit about the Red Wings. According to the article the WIngs do not break even on salaries unless they play 7 playoff games. That was based strictly on payroll divided by ticket price. So all of the Redwing's profits come from the small portion of the TV contract, merchandising sales and concessions.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 08:58 AM UTC
I hope Bettman & Goodenow read this.
iam lost with out hockey this year.
the 2 sides have to come and get this settled.
foot ball and basket ballwork great with a salary cap.
why cant the NHL.
the teams with the most money are trying to stop it.
and the fuuny think is that the teams with the biggest pay rolls last year got knocked out in the frist and
seconds round of the play offs
red wings come to mind lol,
and the team that had the lesssalary won the cup.
the lightings whole team was about 30 million.
its geting out of hand. in other sports
like baseball. look at the yankees.
there pay roll has been over 180 million the last
4 years and they have not won a world seires lol.
and all these guys are cheaters,
like barry bonds. takeing setorids.
to get the home work record.
he should be kicked out of baseball.