_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Epoxy putty, where do you get it?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 04:40 AM UTC
I've read of using two part epoxy putty for various things in modeling. Shep Paine mentions it in his books, and Stephen Zaloga mentions Epoxie Sculpt in one of his books. I've let to find it. None of the hobby stores in town, Hobby Lobby, or Michaels carry it. I've looked in hardware stores, auto stores, etc. Any idea where you can find this in the US?

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 04:47 AM UTC
Most good hobby stores stock Milliput.
However, you should be able to get regular, though slightly more grainy, epoxy putty at any well stock hardware store. Look in the plumbing supplies or adhessives section. There are types that come in a copaxial roll, one part in a roll in the middle of a surrounding layer, amkeking mixing very simple and others in two separate sticks.
If you still can't find it, pm me and I can get either product here and mail it to you. Last time I bought a box of Milliput it was $6.95 for 4 ounces which is two sticks about 5 inches long.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 05:06 AM UTC
Rodger-
You're not the only one, believe me. I've been trying for years to find (Locally)this Magical A+B putty that Paine et. al. wax poetic about in their books, to no avail. Thanks to the web, I di find this-
http://www.sylmasta.com/MODELLING%20Catalogue%20(17-07-2003).pdf
I believe Sylmasta is the way to go for cheap & simple. As AJ says, however, it's quite a bit grainier than milliput. The best experience I've ever had was with Aves Apoxie-Sculpt-
http://www.avesstudio.com/Order_Now/order_now.html Expensive when you figure shipping but it's like heaven to work. I'm not going to claim you can think it into shape, but it stays where you put it, sticks to everything you want it to (& very little you don't), and lasts practically forever in the package.
One word of warning-not sure about Golden Retrievers, but CATS EAT IT!
Anyway, HTH
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 576 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 06:26 AM UTC
Wal-MArt has 2 part Epoxy putty. It comes in a blue stick. Just cut off a piece, knead together to a uniform color, and go to work! This stuff sets pretty fast though but it is great fopr dio work. If sculpting is what you have in mind, you can get Milliput at Micro-mark. Here is the link.

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Department&ID=64

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 09:29 AM UTC
Thanks to all. I never thought about the plumbing section, I was looking where they had glue and such. I might try that for now. It's my experience that whenever they say "model" on the package the price jumps up exponentially. If i like the grainy stuff I might try the Epoxie Sculpt.

Thanks again.

PS L.D. fortunately the Goldens only eat people food, and ice cubes. Oh, the young one also likes socks.

_GOTOTOP