Atlantikwalcheren goes English!
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 5,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 454 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 04:25 AM UTC
Hi guys,

Although I've only just started, I wanted to let you know I've started translating my website Atlantikwalcheren into English, so that those of you who are interested understand something of this site too!

I've already translated my scale model site, quite a succes I believe (click my banner). I've received a lot of nice reactions, thank you all for that! I was really happy about it!

The site is about the Atlantikwall in the Netherlands. At least, that's what I would like to let it be. Till now, I've only got pics and a story about two sites in the Netherlands, Walcheren and Hoek van Holland. Of these, only the Walcheren part is still online.

This may sound like there's nothing to see on this site. Well, I think Walcheren (of which the site has it's name... Atlantikwall + Walcheren = Atlantikwalcheren) has a very interesting story.

This island was being covered with bunkers with heavy artillery (to protect the entrance to the Antwerp harbor which the Allies needed so hard in 1944). The artillery was protected by MG and PAK bunkers, an anti-tank ditch, dragon teeth, which were supported by many personnel and ammunition bunkers. There was also a large FLAK battery on the Island.

Walcheren was also the only place in Holland were the Allies made a real beach landing. After bombing the big sea dike, which set Walcheren under water, Canadian commandos landed supported by the 79th armored brigade. Buffalo's, Weasels and Sherman crabs were used to take the island. The landing was supported by fire of the HMS Warspite and 2 other battleships.

The landing was a succes, except for the assault at a town called Westkapelle. There, the commandos met some real German resistance and many died by machine gun fire and artillery/mortar rounds. There are two memorials located there.

On my site you'll find a view of all the interesting locations, photo's (hope to make a lot of new pics this year), stories, maps etc.

Till now, only the first page is being translated. Any comments on the English are welcomed. It's not easy to translate a website!

You can find my site here:

http://www.webevolution.nl/atlantikwalcheren

Once I'm done translating the whole site (lot of work) I'll let you guys know!

Thanks for watching!

Martin
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 05:13 AM UTC
Martin,
A very nice site you have there. Good info. I suddenly got the notion that in 50-100 years those bunkers could be turned into coast-side bistros.

And on your Modelling links.... you have an error. Armorama should be at the top of this list. It does begin with "A" after all.

Cheers,
Jim
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Martin,
A very nice site you have there. Good info. I suddenly got the notion that in 50-100 years those bunkers could be turned into coast-side bistros.

And on your Modelling links.... you have an error. Armorama should be at the top of this list. It does begin with "A" after all.

Cheers,
Jim

More like because it's the best modelling site anyway...

Well, because you ask so friendly, I'll change the links page :-) Think I'll use the armorama banner...:-)

Greetings
TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 206 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 09:46 PM UTC
very nice site
zeeuwtje
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 176 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 10:18 PM UTC
Beste Martin,

Dit bedoelde ik nu dat er veel te weinig aandacht wordt besteed aan de slag om walcheren.
Jij hebt het met je link naar de web site over de bunkers die nog steeds in de duinen staan. Ik heb hier zelf in gewerkt voor de Kon Marine. Zend en radio bunkers. Dishoek en bij Cafe de Vijgeneter. Weer goed gemaakt denk ik. De mensen zijn vegeten dat hier behoorlijk is huis gehouden. door de duitse troepen. Maar om de boel hie vrij te maken voor de havens in Antwerpen ook door de geallieerde troepen.
Mijn dank dat op deze manier er iets aan doet.
Sjapo

Ad Brons ( Zeeuwtje)
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 01:19 AM UTC
Hey Ad,

Ik vind het ook zonde dat het verhaal vergeten word, het is juist zo interessant!

For all the English people: Ad mentioned that the battle for Walcheren is forgotten by most people and he thanks me for brining it to attention!

Grt
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 08:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Martin,

Cheers,
Jim

You should check it again....armorama is at the top of the list now :-) On special request (on my Scale Model site of course)

Greetings
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 09:15 PM UTC
Excellent site Martin.
 _GOTOTOP