Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Press and and the war
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 1,281 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hi ALL

I was reading the post about Harry and the mistake he made and how the press jumped on it.
My dad sent me a news paper cutting ..it was about the re deployment of the Black Watch Reg in Iraq General Jackson is furious as the press managed to find the new deployment date giving strengths vehicle movement times ..
Mad i tell you i have friends serving in that very reg out there its a bad enough job they have to do ,so why dont they report the positive stuff that is going on out there ..and there is a great deal.of that.of course dont sell news papers.
Cheers Chris
PS "its a need to know basis and they dont need to know period" and if that infringes on the freedom of the press then so be it ,our troops lives are far more important than the sales of newspapers
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 07:06 AM UTC
Chris

Doesn't England still have th "Official Secrets Act"? And what about those "D Notices" the government can impose on the press. You would think unit names, strengths, movements etc. would fall into one of those categories.

Freedom of the press is a wonderful idea, but methinks it has gone a little too far these days.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 07:10 AM UTC
I really think that the guidelines on the use of this forum should be read. This IMHO, is going into 'current affairs' something that we agreed NOT to cover in the forums...Jim
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 1,281 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 08:20 AM UTC
Sorry my mistake
I read "lestweforgets" post on the previous page first thing this morning and it sort of brought something to mind i will accept that its current affairs but it was not a politicl rant,or at least i hope you did not think so....or did you?.
Cheers Chris
BulletTooth
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 03:22 AM UTC
The American media would rather keep you fearful of everything, that way you continue to read and watch their garbage wondering "what will happen next."

It's sad, but it's the truth.

Remember those AFRICANIZED KILLER BEES that were going to wipe out the population of the southwestern US a couple of years ago?

(For those of you that never heard about it, these particularly agressive bees attacked maybe one or two people and neither of them died)

I stopped reading the non-sports related news a LONG time ago. I do however enjoy the news shown daily in The Onion