_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Support local hobby dealers....
TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 206 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 06:09 AM UTC
i always buy on ebay for 3 reasons

1. the prices are unbeatable, even if i get discount on them in my LHS

2. Have to drive about 25-30 km and thats going to be expensive if i have to drive my 7.2 Iroc every tome so far if i want to buy a single model

3. I can search for informations here in armorama or another Modelling site if i saw something in ebay and if its okay i can order straight from the point
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 09:02 AM UTC
From what I've seen of the hobby shops in my area during the last 10 years, 'hobby' means RC or trains. All of these shops are now closed except one and that shop also subscribes to this definition. They have a few models, mostly older ones and few, if any, AFV's. No figures or accessories at all. Their paint selection is great, if you want MM enamels. (I asked about acrylic paints and they referred me to the craft store at the nearby mall.) Their glue selection consists of Testors tube glue.

Suffice it to say, I buy exclusively online.
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 10:15 AM UTC
Ditto Henk and Jim, got my Skybow WC63 & WC51 from Accurate Armour at about the same time as you two!

As Vinnie said:

Quoted Text

The nearest 'good' model shop to me, living in Cheshire is in Halifax.

Halifax is also my nearest (Closer than it is to Vinnie), at ±25 miles and some of the worst traffic around, plus standard UK prices e.g. ±$27.90 for a DML Borgward IV Heavy Demolition. On the net I got DML's Borgward IV Heavy Demolition & Trumpeter's 1/72 Ferdinand incl shipping for ±$22.50.

As far as possible, I will support companies in the UK such as Accurate Armour, that are committed as much to the model builder as they are to themselves (and obviously making money).
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 02:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As far as possible, I will support companies in the UK such as Accurate Armour, that are committed as much to the model builder as they are to themselves (and obviously making money).

I think that's what it boils down to. A hobby/toyshop in a neighbouring town used to have a good selection of 1:35, with some odd things like CMK and Dragon and occasionaly AFV. Now just a few Tamiya and Revell kits. Still plenty of braille scale, planes and 1:24 cars etc. I asked why the 1:35 armour had been scaled down and was told that " we only get one or two of the likes of you ( no offence meant) who buy that stuff, but we get a lot of people buying the small kits like planes or cars. Most are people who buy for their kids, or other 'beginners' who won't spend £ 20 upwards on a kit that they can't finish... They will buy small kits that cost £ 2.99. Most shops I have been do advise you to buy your kits on the net, as they can't carry such stock.

As for my LHS, he really is going to lose me as a customer, as I'm getting a bit $$$$$ off with his lack of stock. He sells Tamiya paint. That's it, no enamels or anything else. He doesn't even sell brushes. Well he does, but I wouldn't even use those for glue application.

Cheers
Henk
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 04:04 PM UTC
I just supported mine today. Got a magazine and the Dragon E-100.
mossieramm
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
entire network: 253 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 07:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The nearest 'good' model shop to me, living in Cheshire is in Halifax.

What about the modelshop in Chester. I hear it's moved into a new larger building. When I'm in the neighborhood I usually go there. Compared to Holland they have good prices on kits. Not much aftermarket stuff though.
AndyD
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 12:29 AM UTC
The reason I purchase the bulk of my kits online is due to lack of choice (and somewhat imagination) in my city.
I live in sydney the population capital of Australia and I live 15 mins walk from the CBD. And the only model shops readily accessable to me have a very limited range. If you want a Tamiya Axis armour kit your catered for otherwise forget it. No one here stocks warriors, verlinden, jaguar or any of the better resin kits.
Hence i buy fromt he net - If my LHS had this kind of stock I would be on first name basis with them trust me!
Cvrle
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 104 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 10:09 AM UTC
I find it funny that basically we're divided into two groups: those who support the local LHS *because* it is friendly and has a good pricing policy as it can be, and those who don't because of bad service and pricing policy- and so far I haven't read any post in the middle...
I've had an interesting experience while on business in Athens (naturally I hunted for the local shops)- one shop owner was relatively cold and uninterested, while the one across the street struck up a conversation and was real friendly... (needles to say, most of my money wet to him)

Cheers
Name_1s_MUD
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 226 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 10:39 AM UTC
amen, to this topic
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:48 AM UTC
Hey Vertigo, where is there a LHS in Clare? I'm gonna be down Ennis direction some day next week....

My LHS is in Dublin city center, but I work on the outskirts and live down the country: don't get into it as much as I'd like. They have a very small branch about 15 mins away from work, but I mean "small". I'm about 66:33 Internet:LHS shopper

Cheers,
Sean
 _GOTOTOP