TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
New BSG - Amazing!!!!
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 07:05 AM UTC
If you haven't checked out the new Battlestar Galactica yet- catch it on SciFi.
It's amazing! I've never watched a TV show that kept me on the edge of my seat- this one did.
Best show on TV (although with all the CRAP on TV these days that's not saying too much...)
Sci Fi has almost made up for the mess they made with cancelling Farscape.

Now, who will produce some kits of the new battlestar and rerelease some Vipers?

Peter

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 07:12 AM UTC
That's for sure... It's gonna be interesting....... The Whole "Boomer" thing.... Like she's Fighting the Cylon inside.........Hmmmmmmm
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 07:14 AM UTC
I saw it too. I thought it was great but still takes a little getting used to a female Starbuck and Boomer. I am old enough tp watch the original BSG first run.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 07:18 AM UTC
Scifi was running alot of the old episodes Last week.... was kinda fun to see (for the first time for me anyway)
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,500 Posts
KitMaker Network: 154 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 11:56 AM UTC
I'm not sure that I like it yet. I watched the half hour lead and both episodes that I taped Friday night just before coming online.

Something is rubbing me the wrong way so far, I'm not sure what either, is it the lack of sci-fi in the show or the over-aggresive use of sex in the show?

From a modelers point of view, I agree lets see some Viper and Raider kits. The Basestars have a B5 "Shadow" feel to them that I like. I am not crazy about the look of the Galactica though.

My $0.02 worth.

Dave S.
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 12:31 PM UTC
We have got the new B.S.G over the pond as well and all i can say is wow. The female Starbuck is pretty hot too.
I agree they made a mistake in cancelling Farscape, but tonight i watched the pilot episode of The Peacekeeper Wars and it was like its never been away.
chuckster
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 06:18 PM UTC
I agree, BSG is totally amazing! I also cut my teeth on the original Battlestar Galactica, which you have to admit was a little hokey at times. The original series was more of an attempt to capatilize on the popularity of Star Wars, with all the fighter dogfights, Cylon centurions as stormtrooper look-alikes, and everything else. The new series is several jumps ahead.

What struck me the most is, you really believe you are on a military ship in the middle of a war. Also, Edward James Olmos (sp?) gives a flawless performance as Commander Adama. If this series maintains its present quality, IMHO it could equal Babylon 5 or the original Star Trek.

There's only one thing I miss about the new BSG, the Cylon centrurions' red eye. I loved on the original series how that eye would sweep left and right and then focus whenever it spotted an enemy.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 09:08 AM UTC
Now that they are back to rockets and missles how do you suppose they are going to replenish?
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 05:40 AM UTC
I'm one too who was rubbed the wrong way with the whole BSG 'reimagining' from the start. It's not just the whole female Starbuck thing but the pushing the sex angle (I'm no prude but it's supposed to be sci-fi not sex-fi lol) which to me is a cheap way to entertain and is an easy filler for episodes.

I didn't sit through the whole mini when it was on last year, was turned off in about the first hour. May give it a shot again and see if it does anything for me the second time around. I did like the gritty, dark tones of the movie as I think that's how sci-fi should look.
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 09:45 AM UTC
right, first off, no spoilers here, but i watched the last episode of the series last night, and if you havent made up your mind to watch this series, i would strongly advise you to stick with it, theres a hell of a cliffhanger, that will totally surprise you
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 04:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you haven't checked out the new Battlestar Galactica yet- catch it on SciFi.
It's amazing! I've never watched a TV show that kept me on the edge of my seat- this one did.
Best show on TV (although with all the CRAP on TV these days that's not saying too much...)
Sci Fi has almost made up for the mess the made with cancelling Farscape.

Now, who will produce some kits of the new battlestar and rerelease some Vipers?

Peter

I saw it for the first time on the sci-fi channel and I thought it sucked!!!!! Why remake a good thing? I loved the original much better!
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 09:55 AM UTC
Well, I've given it another chance (rented the mini-series on DVD) and have almost made it halfway through. I still think this is pure rubbish, Starbuck is an annoying character now and Lee Adama is such a whiny little brat I wanna smack silly. lol

It has some pieces that are neat, it's quiet in the space battles for the most part and it's very dark and I like the "old" feeling the Galactica has. Other than that I think the acting is forced, seems like they don't want to be there (and we have some good actors on board here with Olmos and McDonnell) and the plot doesn't give me any feeling of dread or urgency. Even while a nuclear holocaust is ongoing (I actually thought that was cool to do in the story) I didn't feel involved.

If not for the hot cylon chick I'd not watch the rest at this point, in fairness though I will give it a full viewing and see if the last half changes my opinion. I think if it wasn't for the series title, this series would have gotten little attention after the mini.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 10:13 AM UTC
I thought the last episode about Starbuck and her finally having to face the guilt (openly) about passing Adama's son in flight school was the best yet. If they stay on this track they will have one of the best sci-fi shows on TV.

I think some of you should remember that very few shows start off that great. The writers and actors take a while to get comfortable with the characters. And the new BG is not short on character drama. I loved the first BG as a teen, but lets face it, it was about the most 2 dimensional show out there and only somewhat above the ranks of what Glen Larson followed it up with.... BUCK ROGERS! lol...now THAT was a corny show. Be-da-be-da-beep

Jim
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 10:56 AM UTC
I really like the new show too.

I hope they stay true to the story/climate/universe they're laying the foundation for. I hope that when they run out of missiles and nukes, they either have to build something different with what they've got - or resort to throwing rocks.

I like the tension the "sex" angle creates too. I don't see a "sex-fi" (that was funny) but more of a theme built on weakness and primal urges. It think it interesting and ironic that the Cylons rose up against their creators - and turned to use what proves to be the ultimate weakness of Humanity against their foe. It is also ironic that the Cylons are becoming adept what they hate the most about Humanity. I think the "sex" angle is the way they've chosen to tell this aspect of the conflict.

I like the forced acting style - because these characters are scared and on the brink of breakdown. I loathed the happy-camper style presented in the original BG series - the entire species was nearly wiped out, yet, every week the Lords of Cobol got them through and things were hunky-dory.

Lee Adama is a whiny-whimp. He plays the part brilliantly! He hasn't chosen sides and is in constant war against his internal Id. The episode with Richard Hatch (and if you don't know how bitter and hard he fought to have his own realization of BG done - it was remarkable for him to come on to this series at all - let alone put on a performance like that) on the prison ship was great for developing Apollo's character. He could be so much in this story - saviour or ultimate enemy.

I like Starbuck too - but didn't at first. I was clinging to the old show and that character's incarnation. This one is edgy, unpredictable, and the interplay with Colonel Tigh is priceless. I like the way the writers let the characters wallow in their vices and virtues.

I hope Boomer keeps on fighting the Cylon inside - and I hope she loses! I hope things keep on track and the writers keep all the subplots fresh and intertwined.

And thank Heavens there's no comedy-relief inserted here like Daggits and flying motorcycles!

Gunnie
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 505 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 10:53 AM UTC
damn I missed it hope the show it again!!
Ron

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 11:18 AM UTC
I think that Helo being trapped on Caprica has a lot of potential. He could meet other survivors or form a Resistance group.