_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Why is artillery so unpopular?
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 10:16 PM UTC
Never mind why is German stuff so popular, why are artillery models so unpopular, particularly amongst manufacturers?
I mean let's look at it. We have every shape & model of Sherman, about a million different German tanks, including things that were never even built (!), but in 1/35th what do we have as guns? AFV Club seem to be ploughing a lonely furrow of their own.
There's a very old Tamiya 88mm & 25 Pounder, which are looking pretty crude nowadays, one 155mm, a very old US 105 & AFV Club (mainly German!) & not much else.
What about the airborne 75s, 5.5" Howitzer, a decent model of a US 105, even (horrors!) a 7.2". Airfix did a Matador & 5.5 in 1/72 years ago, a good 1/35 set would sell surely?
What about the Russian stuff, especially that one in the old film of Berlin on it's own tracks?
Rather than the 50th German model of what the Panther would have looked like in 1947 if the war had gone on, how about a 150mm or 10cm Kanone?
OK, I never thought anyone would model the railway guns or the Karl, they don't strike me as obvious subjects anyway, & Dragon & Trumpeter are to be congratulated, but aren't they being just a bit "hairy chested" with these anyway - showing what they can do ?
More soldiers served in the RA (the "large regiment") in WW2 than in any other corps (including infantry!). But you'd never know it.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 10:23 PM UTC
Ciao Steve,
You are absolutely right on with that. I have noticed that thier is an especially acute shortage of Italian artillery. :-) :-) (I had better stop before I get kicked.)
Ciao for now
Rob
DaveCox
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 10:25 PM UTC
I would welcome more models of allied artillery in plastic - at present all the most interesting pieces are in resin from AccA.

A 5.5" gun-how and Matador in plastic - drool, dribble etc.
inopia
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 120 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 10:45 PM UTC
Mornin' all, ,
Im right with you on this, i do mostly Russian/Soviet and british WW2 and unless you are planning to sell internal organs the choices are somewhat limited. Accurate Armour do a 5.5" as do Historica Models,Scale lick have a 40mm Bofors AA gun, PitRoad Models of japan do the Soviet tracked B4 howitzer in white metal but itwould make my day to see some of these in plastic...I'm not holding my breath..
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 11:34 PM UTC
I agree with your comments but during the recent incoming campaigns I was suprised at the amount of pieces made there wasnt a lot of doubling up and the rule were quite strict no anti tank pieces only indirect fire.
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 568 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 12:51 AM UTC
i to would love to have some more artillery pieces,both modern and ww2....the white metal ones from pit road are so expensive!!!
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 02:06 AM UTC
Okay when i look at artillery I see tha same basic shape or form for the last 2 or 3 hundred years

I think people have problems looking past the barrel.

There has probably been a huge change in technology in the past 100 years but unless you have something unique looking like the Karl etc. I don't think artillery will ever be given a fair shake in kit releases.

Cheers, Michael

sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 02:38 AM UTC
Hi, Like the rest, I would welcome more artillery pieces too, esp. if they are up to the quality of the AFV Club's recent kits. German, American, British, Soviet, etc. The only drawback to them are some of those SMALL parts. Wow! But once together they really look nice. In a way a nice artillery kit actually has more of a 'detailed' look about it than most AFVs. And of course we can't forget Dragon's and Trumpeter's K5s and Trumpeter's Morser Karl either. Maybe these recent kits will sort of 'show the way' for more in the future. We can hope.

Take care, Sgirty
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 02:39 AM UTC
Well its popular with me! I have been infected with the Artillery bug since I was a kid(to many years ago! ) . Italeri has always been good for giving us US Artillery. But you are correct, it is realy neglected in the main. I dont think we have much say in the matter, we can only buy what they make. So sad it is!

Keep your fingers crossed mates,

Garry
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 03:28 AM UTC
Modern: Some one out there made a decent kit of the M109A2 or A3?...I know the Paladin is out there (A6). Which brings me to this: If you'd like some walk around shots of the Paladin, PM or email me. I'm pretty sure 1st Battalion, 41st Field Artillery at Fort Carson will let me in their motorpool or 3/4 CAV for that matter (they approved my "Honorable Order of Saint Barbara").

If you'd like pics of the German Howitzer 2000, I may be able to get my buddy to take some (he's a Master Sergeant in the German Army, FA too, and may be able if he's not deployed).

All the other artillery pieces I've seen have been either too expensive or poorly made.

It'd be nice if someone would be able to post some links here of resources they've found.

Mike

kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 05:11 AM UTC
Well... the "Infantryman's Artillery" has been quite popular with me!

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 05:50 AM UTC
I would like to see more arty pieces. I've done M7 Priests and the 105mm. 25pdr too. Loved them.
Leopold
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 446 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 12:12 PM UTC
same here..i loved arties
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 07:46 PM UTC
I'd also like to see more artillery. British/Commonwealth being my obvious first (for both WWI and WWII).
I'd also like to see more pre-20th century artillery in plastic.

I think the lack of artillery is a case of the old "follow the money" bit. Manufacturers would rather release every version of 251 or Tiger (no offense to those building these vehicles ) an release something like an artillery piece that is going to sell for less.

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
entire network: 5,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 09:06 PM UTC
You're right for the towed guns.
On the contrary, I think SP guns or howitzers are well represented in the 1/35 scale. Especially as far as the modern era and the Russians pieces of ordnance are concerned. This is great for me.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 12:02 AM UTC
Perhaps the title of this thread should have been "Why is artillery so unpopular with manufacturers?"

Their have been advances in the last few years DML and AFV Club have both replaced the ageing Tamiya Pak 40, AFV Club is about to launch a Flak 37, the latter has also done some superb work on German Artillery. Regarding SPGs - not much is left to do in the German field, sadly lacking is a (modern) Priest in plastic, the M40 might appear if AFV Club so decide... What is lacking is towed Allied artillery, Allied SPGs, and as Kevin pointed out - Mortars.All of course in Plastic....

Once again, we come full circle. It's easy to pontificate on 'what is lacking' and gain some kind of mutual reassurance from threads like this. What people need to sit down and decide, is how to influence the manufacturers not sit and indulge in this increasingly tiresome 'navel-watching' in the vague hope that one day the allied kits may fall in their lap...

What is needed are contacts - solid contacts. Not some guy that is vaguely connected with the distributors. Could I be so forward as to suggest a 'direct-line' to the Mount Olympus of the manufacturers? ...Jim
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 06:33 AM UTC
I'm sorry folks , I feel like a complete idiot! The Artillery Battalion at Fort Carson is NOT 1/41, it's 3rd Battalion, 29th Field Artillery. Stooopid!!!

I will contact either the Operations Officer, Battalion Commander, or the Command Sergeant Major, and request an appointment to photograph their Paladins. I hope I won't be denied considering today's "world."

Sorry about the boo-boo

Mike
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 06:59 AM UTC
This is just a guess but I am trying to apply some of my marketing/manufacturing experience here.

A towed artillery piece is not really that large a model but contained many small parts that require a lot of work to mold. There may be a perception that one would not want to pay $30-40US for an up to date 105mm when there are plenty of the old 105mm Italeri available for $8US. A Tiger or a Sherman is a whole vehicle and has the perception of being a better kit for the value. The new Karl artillery pieces are rather large and get a nice price for those, $70-90US if I recall. The perceived value is that the larger the kit the more the price, not necessarily the amount of research and development and manufacturing costs. I too would have to think long and hard about buying a tube with a few springs and wheels for $30 yet a much larger Flak36/37 with the crew, wheels and trailer can fetch $30.

If I had to guess the price points for a good towed artillery piece don't compare to those of a good AFV or large railgun. That's just my speculative guess with a little knowledge in marketing and manufacturing.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 07:07 AM UTC
All I know is that I've been busily and happily snapping up all the Artillery I can find. I love the genre, and enjoy the finished product a great deal. I hope AFV keeps putting out more of their new guns. Maybe their success will encourage manufacturers to explore this area a bit more.

Mike

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 07:18 AM UTC
I too would have to think long and hard about buying a tube with a with a few springs and wheels for $30

Comparing the old (Italeri) artillery pieces with the new (and superb) kits from AFV Club is unrealistic. In the former case, they require a lot of work to bring them up to standard, in the latter they are true 'state of the art' kits. Personally i'd have no problem paying $30 paying for a British 5.5" inch or 17 pounder with that quality. What I have a problem with is paying for an AFV kit which requires another $25 - $50 in AM parts to bring it up to a modern standard...Jim
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 07:21 AM UTC
I think Jimbrea has the right idea on this, next time someone brings out a panther or Tiger you know that real rare one with the bent coat hanger ariel DONT BUY IT. im as guilty as everyone rushing out and buying different variants of this and that but if we hold back the dough that might make them think a bit and it will help get your stash down and put you in the ole ladys good books. maybe writing to mags you may get might help, make them work for their dough they charge enough for them.Ive made a decision not to buy any more of these rehashed armour kits Ive just got hold of the Pink Panther, and Im going for the new paks from D.M.L. and maybe the 251 thats a big maybe but thats my lot for this year unless they bring out a decent U.S. half track.thats my lot Im out of here
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 4,808 Posts
KitMaker Network: 360 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 07:27 AM UTC
Can't you make a campain of artillerie??
You will never know.
But i'm agree with you guys that there is to little ''guns'' on the market.
It's just my idea................

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 07:31 AM UTC
John is correct on this point - as I have frequently said in the forums, there is nothing more frustrating than putting together a news story on some superbly crafted new kit or conversion set then posting a story on yet another Tamiya Tiger re-pop which gets 2000+ hits whereas the former will get 250....

Frankly we as modellers, are our own worst enemies. not even a question of personal preference, we have a totally Pavlovian reaction. Start a thread with the magic words Tiger and Tamiya and we all (myself included ) rush towards the thread/news story/review like teenage girls avoiding the closing sequence of 'Titanic' (work that one out, it's true incidentally :-) )....Aaaarggghhh!..Jim
Hiram_Sedai
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 201 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 07:35 AM UTC
Since I playtest all my tanks on my kitchen floor and make the requisite engine and firing noises, I would imagine that pushing an artillery piece around wouldn't have the same effect on my 12 year old mind trapped in this hirsute, repugnant, flabby 35 year old boddy.

I could go "boom boom" but not "vroom vroom"

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 07:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can't you make a campain of artillerie??
You will never know.
But i'm agree with you guys that there is to little ''guns'' on the market.
It's just my idea................

HILBERT

I see you just joined a little while ago but we did have an artillery campaign called Incoming. It was very sucessfull but it also included self propelled artillery and excluded Anti-tank guns. Perhaps another artillery campaign of towed field pieces only would be in the makings soon.
 _GOTOTOP