History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Best Defensive German Commander WWII
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 01:33 AM UTC

Model? Kesselring?
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 01:41 AM UTC
Von Manstein ( The Eastern Front ).

- ralph
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 01:43 AM UTC
I would have to vote of Manstein as the best "counter-puncher". Model was good, but I believe he was to much the Party Member to stand up to Hitler when it came to manuever (i.e., give some ground, then counterattack). Kesslring had the best defensive turf in Europe to defend. I do not know how he would have faired in NW Europe or Russia.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 02:58 AM UTC
Model.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 10:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Von Manstein ( The Eastern Front ).

- ralph

I second this.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 11:23 AM UTC
Kesselring. I don't think we should disqualify him just becasue he had good ground to work with.
On a smaller scale, von Manteuffel made a number of very successful defensive actions against the Russians leading the Panzergrenadier Division Grossdeutschland, but I imagine there were many commanders who had similar success.

Nic
bodhi75
Visit this Community
Finland
entire network: 18 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 02:31 AM UTC
I mentioned this name on the "best offensive general"-topic, but let's say it again - Heinrici. Definitely one of the best. Organized defences from nothing like in winter of ´42 or in Hungary, and did his best trying to stop the red flood from getting Berlin. Kesselring did pretty good job at Italy too. OK, the ground there was suitable for Germans, and the troops were almost elite there, but still one name to mention.

Marko
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I mentioned this name on the "best offensive general"-topic, but let's say it again - Heinrici. Definitely one of the best. Organized defences from nothing like in winter of ´42 or in Hungary, and did his best trying to stop the red flood from getting Berlin. Kesselring did pretty good job at Italy too. OK, the ground there was suitable for Germans, and the troops were almost elite there, but still one name to mention.

Marko

Marko--I tend to agree with you given the gravity of the situation Henrici was faced with in April of 1945. I wonder whatever happen to him? Did the Russians get him?
DJ
bodhi75
Visit this Community
Finland
entire network: 18 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 06:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Marko--I tend to agree with you given the gravity of the situation Henrici was faced with in April of 1945. I wonder whatever happen to him? Did the Russians get him?
DJ

DJ Judge
COL (R), USA

No, I don't think so. I've seen few postwar pics of him, so he survived the battle. He was relieved from the duty the day Hitler died, but I don't know did he become POW.. Hitler had ordered, that Heinrici should have been killed (the same way Rommel was - choosing suicide) cause he didn't win the russians in the battle of Berlin (I wonder who would have), but was in fact saved by Rommel's ex-adjutant, Hellmuth Lang. Talking about coincidences.

Marko