2005 IPMS USA Nationals
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 09:17 AM UTC
Hi Everyone,
Well seeing as we're now into 2005 I wanted to let you know what is going on with the IPMS National Convention to be held this summer in Atlanta, Georgia, over the dates of July 20-23. A lot of people here have been working hard over the last two years to bring this convention together, and it is definitely coming together. Aside from this update and others you might see around the web, the best place to go for info is the show website:

http://www.ipmsusa2005.org

OK on to the vendors. We've received quite a rush of reservations over the new year, and as of earlier today the vendor table count was at 403. The largest room, on record, thus far is 326 tables, that was at the show in Dallas.
The flip side to that equation is that we ONLY have 28 tables left-the vendor room will support 431. So we are quickly running out of space. There are quite a few vendors that we are talking to, so we fully expect to fill this space, probably no later than mid Febuary. If you know of any vendor that you don't see on the list that's even remotely thinking about coming to the convention, or that you would like to see there, let us know who they are, so that we can get info out to them to try and get them on board.
Further more, while we have several non-US model companies attending we would love to have more, companies like: MIG Productions, Blast Models, Accurate Armour, AirDOCS, just to name a few. If you ever order from these companies or others, or are a regular customer and would like to see them at the show, put in a good word for us. For a full listing of all the vendors check the website.

Next up I want to talk about hotels. The main hotel, The Renaissance Waverly, is getting full FAST-faster than even we expected, while we booked anticipating a large show, contractually speaking we're already 73% FULL-and it's only mid January! We've already had one night exceed it's contracted allowance-Wednesday night. Since then we've been able to add a few additional rooms, such that once again, you can get rooms in the Waverly for the duration of the convention.
This is a long way to say, GET YOUR RESERVATIONS IN SOON! The contract only allows a certain number of rooms per night, and while it is somewhat open ended, the Waverly can still take in other business (they have indicated that it looks like they'll be really full around that time). Again if you go to the show site there is more info there, including a link to the hotel reservation service which will allow you to get the discount rate.
If you experience any difficulty in getting your reservation or are told there isn't any space, the first thing you should do is contact the hospitality manager, Patrick Cook ([email protected]) or the show chairman, Paul Cotcher ([email protected]) so that they can check out the situation and hopefully find a quick and easy solution. If you book another hotel away from the show venue then you get stuck having to deal with Atlanta traffic-and unless your from LA- you won't like our traffic .
This is of course really good news for the convention as like the vendor room, the hotel block appears to be going the same direction, and all current facts point to a MONSTER convention!

Next, also remember, not only are you getting The IPMS Nationals, but Dragon Expo is being held in conjunction with our convention in the same venue. If you go to the Dragon Expo website you can find more info there.

http://www.dxpo.com

Just to whet your appetite a little, some of the names listed who will be presenting programs are: Steve Zaloga, Ron Volstad, and Tom Cockle. We also have a stellar line-up of presenters for the National including Adam Wilder, Brett Green, and many others. Again for the full list so far check out the website.

All in all we could not be more excited about the way things are shaping up, again everything indicates that it's going to be a huge convention, possibly the largest ever. And that brings me to the invitation...We've worked to get the best vendors, programs, and facilities to make a great show, what is needed to complete our effort is you and your models (I really want to see a huge AFV area!)-so if you haven't made plans yet, get your schedule open for July 20-23, 2005, bring the family and prepare for a scale modeling event like you've never seen before!

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me if you like, or post them here.
Thanks for looking!
Cheers,
Mike
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 09:38 AM UTC
Mike,
Thanks for the detailed update. I'd certainly like to see a show of hands to see who is thinking about going and who is definately going. I am in the planning stages for trying to make a family trip out east at that time. And I would like to do the show while I am there.

If there was enough support from the membership of Armorama I would even love us to have a SIG table. I was planning to do this for Phoenix, but because of a job situation did not get to go.

Are there many SIG tables still available?

Thanks,
Jim
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 12:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Are there many SIG tables still available?

OK Jim, stupid question time. What do you mean by "SIG" table? I think I have an idea, but I'm not sure.

Mike
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 12:56 PM UTC
Special Interest Group.

Clubs mostly. IPMS Pheonix had about 20 of these tables I think. They display their projects, do how-to demos and the like.

Our european members can give you more examples but over there the shows have a LOT of SIG tables. Almost makes it more "convention" like and adds a third element (in addition to just kit entries and vendor tables).

Cheers,
Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 01:07 PM UTC
I checked out the site. I see a mention of SIG tables when they are talking about IPMS/UK and their push to do "Display Tables", but I see a conspicuous absense of any other mention of SIG tables. Perhaps they aren't planning on having any. I wasn't at the 2004 Nats so I don't know how the greater number went over there. I did attend the 2003 Nats in Norfolk and don't remember seeing too many tables there (display yes, SIG no). Maybe this is an idea that hasn't yet reached the east coast? If we can't get a table then it would be hard to organize and promote the show with our members.

Jim
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 01:13 PM UTC
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking, I just wasn't sure what the initials stood for. I'm not 100% sure, but I think these would be included under the "display" tables. I'll send out an e-mail to double check on this.

Mike
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 05:41 AM UTC
Jim,
I just got an e-mail concerning the SIG tables. They are included with the display tables, and there are still some left. For more info you can contact Doug Nelson, the display coordinator, at this e-mail address: [email protected] .

Mike
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 06:43 AM UTC
Jim, If you get this set up I'd like to volunteer my time to staff it. I also posted on this in the IPMS/Richmond thread...
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 254 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 07:22 AM UTC
what are the "junior" competetions? People under 18? People who have only modeled x number of years or something else completely?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 08:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim,
I just got an e-mail concerning the SIG tables. They are included with the display tables, and there are still some left. For more info you can contact Doug Nelson, the display coordinator, at this e-mail address: [email protected] .

Mike

Mike,
Thanks for that info. I just emailed Doug about this and look forward to talking to him about it further.

Thanks again,
Jim
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 08:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

what are the "junior" competetions? People under 18? People who have only modeled x number of years or something else completely?

Scunge, the Junior category is defined as follows:
Pre-Teen: through 12 years old
Teen: 13 through 17 years old

HTH,
Mike
StarTraveler
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 109 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 08:25 AM UTC
Jim,

I am definitely going to be there for all of the Nationals. All plans are finalized. I can also donate some time to help cover the SIG table if we get one. A table would be a great meeting location for many of our members to get some face to face time.
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 254 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 01:36 PM UTC
I might try to make it down, but most likely will not be able to. I think it would be a lot of fun to go though.
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 01:53 PM UTC
I am planning on going. I am looking for someone to ride with.
Recon
 _GOTOTOP