History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Best Offensive German Commander WWII
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 01:32 AM UTC

Rommel? Guderian?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rommel? Guderian?

My money is on Guderian. He was one smart dude. Very well rounded leader. Stood up to Hitler on more than one occassion with dire consequences for him. Rommel. Well I love the guy. Have his picture posted in as many spots as Patton's, however, he is like Steve Martin "a wild and crazy kinda guy." He wins battles, but other than France what campaign? He goes way over board gambling in Libya. Eventually, he gets whipped in Libya. His Normandy plan is well thought out, but - -due to a host of other events--holds the Allies up for about half a day. So, I go with Guderian....even though I fence sit on the choice.
DJ
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 05:30 AM UTC
Guderian wrote the book on armored warfare that even the US used. Is still taught in West Point is it not

What about Sepp Dietrich?
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 10:06 AM UTC
How about Student?
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 11:29 AM UTC
Here is where I put von Manstein. This was the mastermind behind the campaign in France in 1940. The Germans were so successful against so many men in such a short time due much to his plan, you must admit he was a great offensive commander.

You make a really good point about Rommel, DJ. If we look at results, his record was far from perfect. He was successful in France, but here he was only a divisional commander, not in command of an entire army.

Nic
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 09:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Guderian wrote the book on armored warfare that even the US used. Is still taught in West Point is it not

Try reading "Achtung Panzer."
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 10:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am currently reading the "Achtung Panzer" now, very very insight stuff. And Sepp Dietrich was definitely a good commander, but I think maybe it's because he leaded Waffen-SS, so the mainstream historians failed to give him credits that he deserved. Now you brought up Dietrich, it's interesting to notice that not many Waffen-SS commanders were labelled as great combat leaders by he contempolary historians...
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 04:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I am currently reading the "Achtung Panzer" now, very very insight stuff. And Sepp Dietrich was definitely a good commander, but I think maybe it's because he leaded Waffen-SS, so the mainstream historians failed to give him credits that he deserved. Now you brought up Dietrich, it's interesting to notice that not many Waffen-SS commanders were labelled as great combat leaders by he contempolary historians...

Obviously, your German to English is better than anything I read under the titles of "Achtung, Panzer" or "Panzer Leader." Too dense for my limited brain. You mention Sepp Dietrich. Certainly, the regular German Army Officer do not think highly of him. However, he does credible work in Greece, Russia, and Belgium. Apparently, well liked by his subordinates when provide a highly competent chief of staff, he did well. Also, while part of the original Munich gang, he felt no compulsion to standing up to Adolph. Read that he drank a great deal. He certainly stood trial after the war for several atrocities. He also had a hand in the Night of the Long Knives.
DJ
bodhi75
Visit this Community
Finland
entire network: 18 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 10:30 PM UTC
I'd pick v. Manstein. Indeed he was the mastermind behind the France-operation, and planned & executed the capture of Sevastopol after difficulties. He also achieved a victory in Kharkov 1943 after heavy battles.. also, I like his "attitude". I just finished his book "Verlorene Siege" - I think it's "Lost victories" - really a "must-have-book". I think he had everything that commander should have. I'd rank Fast-Heinz (Guderian) highly, too.
Pop-general Rommel.. well, as we all know, he was amazing. The battles in France, leading the 7th PzDiv. (also called as the Ghostdivision, always seemed to be in places that nobody could expect them to be) and victories (even the retreats we're usually organized well) in Africa before he got sick tell us, that he was great. But I'm not sure if he really was at his best commanding an army. With smaller units he did wonders, but in my opinion he was more of an tactic than strategist.
I've got some other name here too - as an defensive general, no-one was better than Heinrici. He had the toughest sector in 1942 during the russian winteroffensive leading the 4th Army, and they held out for 10 weeks even when they were outnumbered at least twelve to one!
Well, these were the names I came up with. I might add three important words here -
in my opinion.

Marko N.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 12:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd pick v. Manstein. Indeed he was the mastermind behind the France-operation, and planned & executed the capture of Sevastopol after difficulties. He also achieved a victory in Kharkov 1943 after heavy battles.. also, I like his "attitude". I just finished his book "Verlorene Siege" - I think it's "Lost victories" - really a "must-have-book". I think he had everything that commander should have. I'd rank Fast-Heinz (Guderian) highly, too.
Pop-general Rommel.. well, as we all know, he was amazing. The battles in France, leading the 7th PzDiv. (also called as the Ghostdivision, always seemed to be in places that nobody could expect them to be) and victories (even the retreats we're usually organized well) in Africa before he got sick tell us, that he was great. But I'm not sure if he really was at his best commanding an army. With smaller units he did wonders, but in my opinion he was more of an tactic than strategist.
I've got some other name here too - as an defensive general, no-one was better than Heinrici. He had the toughest sector in 1942 during the russian winteroffensive leading the 4th Army, and they held out for 10 weeks even when they were outnumbered at least twelve to one!
Well, these were the names I came up with. I might add three important words here -
in my opinion.

Marko N.

Marko--good call on Henrici. Everything I ever read said nothing but positive things about his abilities. Definitely, a name to be remembered.
DJ