_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
burned on ebay
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 08:43 AM UTC
as some of you know, i order the majority of my models from ebay online.

the addy i am posting is a seller there, i ordered from him, from hk and sent payment on nov 20, 2004. still no model and no answers from letters to the seller.

just a heads up, as most others have sent items promptly and with no probs with shipping.

reb

rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 08:48 AM UTC
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2589&item=5949388934&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

here is the addy

reb
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 09:16 AM UTC
I bought from this seller last November too - received the goods quickly and with no problems. Have you tried emailing him? or going through Ebay before publicly naming him?
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 09:28 AM UTC
I buy a lot of my models and stuff off e/bay as well. So far i have never been stiffed but i always check thier feedback, if its under 98% i usually don't bother with them. The closest i came was some seller telling me he was shipping from the U.K when it actually came from Malasiya, so postage took about 6 weeks.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 09:40 AM UTC
I am a multiple repeat customer with this guy. You have to note that if you do not order shipping by airmail it will take up to 3 months for you package to arrive by ship. He never sends anything to me except that You Have Won greeting letter.

Also don't be suprised if you package shows up wrapped in shipping paper rather than a box.
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 09:54 AM UTC
alans right mate i've bought of him too
and i gave him a very hard time iwas having serious family problems too at that time but he remained very professional despite my rants and the items were shipped quickly and arrived fine ,just give him a couple of chances first i'msure he'll square up with you .he seems to be a great bloke
steeldog51
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 09:57 AM UTC
Andy i think i know who you are talking about,i buy from him all the time too i must have made around 23 purchases last year from him its annoying he says hes in the u.k. but hes always been great with me ,
also mate not all sellers with damaged feedback are at fault there are some very dodgy buyers too ! just my 2 p

rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 10:08 AM UTC
yes i have emailed him several times, without any reply, and i didn't even get the you have won letter.

i know that at ground rate it takes awhile, and perhaps i am being overly optimistic here, but i felt the need to advise my compatriots in here.

great for those who have had good dealings with this seller, and i hope it continues for you, truly i do.

latest email went out today and i wanted to give him all the chances i could before posting this thread, so i fel i have given every chance i could.

thanks for the replies

reb
steeldog51
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 10:10 AM UTC
ah i see your problem Reb ,i think thatd be a bit disconcerting ,thanks for the heads up mate ,and i'm sure hell reply soon ,but it would have been nice to get that winning bid letter though! take care K
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 10:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

also mate not all sellers with damaged feedback are at fault there are some very dodgy buyers too ! just my 2 p

I nearly always backtrack neg feedbacks from the buyers of the sellers ( that makes more sense in my head than written, hope u understand it). But i would rather be safe than sorry. Its just u can't storm down the shop and get a refund when u don't know where they are!!! Call me old fashioned but i do miss the personal touch of talking to someone!!!!!!
steeldog51
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 12:01 PM UTC
yeah i understand andy its just the way i liketotreat my e-bay customers i'm comapring it too ,i'm fully aware that some sellers are in it just for the quick cash ,its sad but true ,
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 12:22 PM UTC
I just bought something off this guy on E-Bay. I was a bit nervous, but look at the responses. Most are positive. Try using the e-mail system supplied by E-Bay, and if he does not respond file a complaint with E-Bay, if enough complaints are filed they will shut him down.

It seems that either buyers love him or hate him. As a matter of fact I received an unsoliciated e-mail from a guy who has made it a life's work to badmouth this seller.

November 20th - not that long considering how long it takes for a slow boat from China to get stateside. If you ordered let see back in September then I would give your beef more weight. So hang in there your kit should arrive by month's end. (It takes about two months for container ships to make the voyage from China to the US)

bocchris
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 24 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 12:45 PM UTC
I have bought 8 items from this guy and had no problems whatsoever.I always ask for airmail cost and the longest delivery time from him to the U.K. has been two weeks.
Sometimes he takes a day to reply to e-mails but he has always answered in the end.
Yes his packaging leaves something to be desired but Tamiya boxes are pretty tough and none of my models have been damaged.
And let's be honest he is cheap as owt (anything to non Geordies out there) and if there is any old Tamiya stuff you are after you would be hard pushed to get any cheaper than this guy.
On the other hand I have had problems twice with another seller on ebay who has a score over 1000.
Maybe it's just the luck of the draw.
Target_J
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 01:23 PM UTC
Hi,

I have been very tempted to buy from this seller as his prices are truely competitive. But what has held me back is the number of negative feedbacks he has (92 neg feedbacks for past 6 months).

From personal experience, i have asked for a shipping quote for the same item from different sellers in HK, and the one who this post is talking about charged me $5 higher than the rest. I know i can't generalize, but the reason of this post is so that everyone can share their experience.

There are quite a few other sellers from HK with a slightly higher prices but feedbacks more than 99%. These are the ones i usually use. Maybe you can try the online hobby shops in HK. They usually have very good prices for the products especially the Tamiya, DML and Trumpeter.

I hope you do receive your items soon.
drlcdd
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 05:43 PM UTC
I considered buying from this guy and opted not to just because he was only a couple dollars cheaper than the rest on my item. After a review of his feedback, I opted to pay the extra cash. Nonetheless, it wasn't that I thought he was ripping people off. I just didn’t think offering surface mail to people knowing it can take up 3 months by his own admission was wise. Most buyers are unaware how long it can take and opt for it to save a buck. I'm sure this leads to additional bids for him because after people calculate the total costs they consider the bottom line price and go for it. I’d rather buy from someone who accurately identifies shipping costs and times. I do believe you’ll get your item eventually. What I would recommend is to save your ebay transaction before it expires, I think it’s 90 days. Then you can always go back after the 90 day period and input feedback if he truly did rip you off. I don’t see ebay resolving the issue until after a significant amount of time has expired to allow for the slow boat from China to arrive –especially after he replies it’s on the boat. Unfortunately, you have to keep up with their resolution deadline which is either 60 or 90 days. I would file before the expiration just to ensure you don’t eliminate your chance of a recovery of funds. Eventually, though I think you’ll get your item.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 08:13 AM UTC
thanks for all the input my friends, rest assured i have read all of your replies. thanks again...

reb
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 04:57 AM UTC
I bought from this guy as well, with no problems... although the package did arrive in a brown wrapping paper - not a shipping box. Still - had no problems... I will say that when I made the purchase I didn't realize he was in Hong Kong... by the time I paid $10 for the model, and another $12 for shipping (total of $22US), I probably could have found the same model at my local hobbyshop for about 3 dollars more, and would have saved 10 days.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 06:25 AM UTC
still no word my friends
will let ya know as soon as i recieve something......

reb
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 09:45 AM UTC
we should buy stuff on ebay from people.
over seas.
we can get taken.
and ebay cant do any thing to help us
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 09:46 AM UTC
we should buy stuff on ebay from people.
over seas.
we can get taken.
and ebay cant do any thing to help us
FiveOduece
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 159 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 10:23 AM UTC
I have not dealt with the particular seller, but I was bidding on a set of DML figures back in December and was high bidder. I received the winning bid form from ebay via email. The address was for a seller in Malaysia. I went and check the auction, and sure enough, he listed his location as the US, but where is lists "Member since...Malaysia" I did not even see that or did I ever think to check it... It took 2 weeks to get the address to send the payment then took 4 weeks to get the figures.. He had a high feedback rating, and I did not even check...wish I had...man, there were a lot of complaints on the Location being stated as the US. I was not happy about that either.. I now pay closer attention to everything on the auction page...
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 09:02 AM UTC
mornin or afternoon gang, just up from an all nighter at work.

the model arrived!!!!!!!!!! complete with instructions in chinese and english, so i am now a happy camper, parts in wrap still and hull and treads intact, as said the wrapping is unique, but it is here now.

and i reckon 2 months isn't bad for ground/sea/pony express, just wish i had had some feedback from the dealer prior to me posting in here, would have made all the difference in the world

a little communication does go a long way...

reb
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 04:22 PM UTC
Glad it worked out for you. I hate it when a seller misleads a buyer as to their true location. This not only happens on eBay, but also on some of the modeling sale/trade forums.

I get really irritated when I spend a few days trying to work out a deal with someone only to learn I have to spend $20 to mail the item overseas.

I now ask if the person is located in the US before I even try to enter into a deal. Nothing against our overseas friends, but trading off a $30 kit for a similarly priced kit then adding $15-20 for postage is not my idea of a bargin. I'd rather try to find one closer or buy one outright for the amount I spend on postage.
 _GOTOTOP