History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Stalin's remark about son's capture?
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 07:22 PM UTC
What did Stalin say after his son was captured by the Germans?

I want to say it was something to the effect of "I don't have a son" or something like that.

Thanks!

~Chip
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 03:05 AM UTC
I wan't able to find the exact quote, but I would not be surprised if he had said that. I did find the following:

July 16, 1941
Stalin's first son Jacob (by his first wife), fighting as a lieutenant in the Red Army, is captured by the Germans in the fighting around Smolensk.
Stalin treated his son, so badly that he attempted suicide. When Jacob was taken prisoner by the Germans during World War II, Stalin refused a German offer to exchange his son

Tom
Verboten
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
entire network: 202 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 08:42 AM UTC
Stalin's oldest son was maned Yakov, and when Stalin was informed that his son had been captured, Stalin replied "I have no son named Yakov" at least I believe that was the quote. Yakov died in the Sachsenhausen concentration camp in 1943.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 11:31 AM UTC
I concur, but one of the few... if ever times I will defend Stalin...this was absolutely the right thing to say and do
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 04:19 PM UTC
Steve,
How do you mean-- that he didn't put his son above other soldiers? That I agree with as well...although it seemed that Stalin didn't value his soldiers all that much to begin with
Interesting topic....

Sean
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 05:05 AM UTC
Hey Sean,

I know this thred is kinda old...last post was on the 11th?! but, I think Steve I agree with Steve on this. If Stalin said that he wasn't his son, he might get 'better' treatment than if the Germans knew for sure that he was his son.
I can only imagine the things that the Germans could/would have done to make an example or do otherwise to to him.
Anyone know if he got any "special" treatment while in captivity?

- (another) Steve
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 05:25 AM UTC
Steve,
Better late than never!
I can see where you are coming from...if the Germans knew they had Stalin's son...that could be very bad..propaganda-wise...and a blow to the Russian people.

Sean
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 254 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 12:50 PM UTC
well not just that, but there wsa also the matter of Stalins executive order that said the wives of Soviet prisoners would go to the Gulag, and the prisoners themselves would be shot as soon as they either were liberated or the war was over and they returned IIRC. Perhaps he didnt want to have to follow through and order his own son's execution.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 02:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Sean,

I know this thred is kinda old...last post was on the 11th?! but, I think Steve I agree with Steve on this. If Stalin said that he wasn't his son, he might get 'better' treatment than if the Germans knew for sure that he was his son.
I can only imagine the things that the Germans could/would have done to make an example or do otherwise to to him.
Anyone know if he got any "special" treatment while in captivity?

- (another) Steve

sure true, but this wasnt why stalin said 'i have no son yakov' (however he said it) surrender was often considered 'traiting' in the Red Army, especially by 'the officers.