_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Melting plastic for moulding?
tapto
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 04:04 AM UTC
Apparently it exists some kind of moulding plastic material which melts at about 60 degrees celsius. Anyone know what this is and perhaps have a pointer to a brand?

Thanks

Cheers
/Fredrik
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 576 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 04:17 AM UTC
Well, I surely know that it is not styrene! I use tons of styrene everyday in my work and I have lots of scrap. LOTS OF SCRAP!

I tried to think of a way to recycle this at one time and ruined one of my wifes pots trying to melt it on the stove! I was going to try to make new sheets. Stupid idea but I had to try!

I now have more than a lifetime of scrap styrene for scratch building!
Sorry I couldn't help with an answer.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 04:31 AM UTC
There used to be craft kits for kids that had these little plastic pellets. It's been many years since I've seen them, however. If you're going to be casting your own parts, wouldn't casting resin be more practical?
tapto
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 04:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you're going to be casting your own parts, wouldn't casting resin be more practical?

Couldn't agree with you more... but I'm asking on behalf of a friend since I found myself not knowing the answer. ((Which I might add was a bit annoying.. ))

Cheers
/Fredrik
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 05:47 AM UTC
Hi Fredrik. Plastics that with lower melting temperatures, are usually very soft and probably not suitable.
Two solutions that may be suitable for your needs though.
I was in Clas Olssons (Stockholm), just before christmas and they have bags of plastic pellets that melt at a low temperature and can be used for casting. I think it stated that it is suitable for most brands of the cheaper moulding silicons. They must be a new product as Ive never seen them before or heard of anybody using them. They are stored along with all the glues.
Panduro Hobby have a a two part silicone moulding putty called "siligum". It says on the package that moulds are ready in 10minutes?? The two parts are blue and white and are approx. 2 snus boxes in size. (100g). A Guy called Björn Backlund showed me this at an Stockholm IPMS meeting and he used white milliput as the casting agent.
He used the siligum to cast the 3 part transmission cover of a 1/72 sherman,and cast it with milliput.The detail was perfect .. every bolt intact. I was very impressed and bought the siligum from Panduro, but never got around to using it yet!
Check this page on IPMS Stockholms site and there is a picture of the cast transmission cover.
IPMS Stockholm ... in the works/Björn Backlund

let us know how you get on!
tapto
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 07:23 AM UTC
Frank,

Thanks, that's got to be it. If I find out what he's up to I'll sure let you know.

Many thanks!
/Fredrik
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 11:05 AM UTC
what about melitng sprues with an easy bake oven, would that work?

Frank
 _GOTOTOP