_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Digital fractals and photoshop CS?
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 03:12 PM UTC
Hmm, a technical question here. I can shoot foto's in Raw format, and then create Tif files. This is the stuff that's needed by publishers and libraries to be able to reproduce digital images for publication. I have send some photo's to a library, who liked my photo's, but can't use them because of the 'fractals'. Now I understand that these are created when the Raw file is converted to a Tif file, and there are one or two 'plug-ins' for Photoshop to reduce or even eliminate these fractals. Problem is that I have an old version of Photoshop LE, which supports neither. Now somebody told me that he thinks that Photoshop CS has this build in, but I can't find conformation of this. I could 'buy' a more recent version of Photoshop + a plug-in, or( if it does) CS. Anybody out there who could give me some low down on Photoshop CS. Purely from a Photographic point of view, as I don't really do any of the 'creative' wizardry, just Photography.

Cheers
Henk
TempExp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 106 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 06:16 PM UTC
Henk,

Hopefully I'm interpretting correctly...

Does the probelm arise when trying to enlarge the prints to the correct size/resolution for printing them? If not, then I guess I don't understand.

One of the plugins you're probably talking about is Genuine Fractals, which is used to enlarge images while still maintaining the sharp edges. I haven't used it as I've not had much problem just using the methods native to Photoshop.

Let me know if I"m on the right path and I can try to help you out some more. I do know a little bit as I shoot for publication. You can reply here or PM me.
 _GOTOTOP