_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Plasticard
procrazzy
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 359 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 10:37 AM UTC
Hi,
In several books i have, the author uses a material called 'plasticard' for scratch-building stuff. well my question is, what is it?
thanks in advance,

cheers

Philip
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 10:42 AM UTC
Ciao procrazzy,
It's like sheets of plastic that come in different thicknesses. You can cut it, bend it, heat it up and do all kinds of stuff with it.
Ciao for now
Rob
phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 629 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 10:46 AM UTC
Plasticard is plastic sheet. It comes in multiple thicknesses and styles and can be used to add details to models, from simple boxes to complicated assemblies, and can also be used to scratchbuild an entire model. The most popular brands are Evergreen and Plastistruct (sp?) and both are available in local hobby shops and online web stores.
Kyle
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 10:51 AM UTC
Procrazzy,
Although most local hobby shops do sell plasticard, for some reason here in the UK they charge an arm and a leg, which gets very expensive if you're trying to build up a stock of items. Recently I bought a lot of stuff direct from Plastruct in the states. Their range is amazing, and works out a lot cheaper, even with postage. Have a look. www.plastruct.com

Vinnie
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 04:29 PM UTC
Depending on what you want, 'cause there are sheets, strips, shapes, etc, of all sizes & types, then you probably will need to look at a mix of Evergreen and Plastruct (which comes in stryene or ABS, so be sure of what you order).

The model railroaders are heavy into this stuff and I get all mine through www.walthers.com although I am not sure how cost effective it is for the UK.

John
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 07:06 AM UTC
Hello Procrazzy, i know that this store is on the other side of the pond..but i just wanted to show you what's from Evergreen Plastics. For me Evergreen plastics is the cheapest and i use it all the time. Here's a link
http://www.dhcinc.com/evergreen.htm
AVRE165
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 181 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 10:57 AM UTC
hi

ok i have been using plastic card for as long as i have been modelling. i use a lot of it.

ok in UK there are two sources.
plastic card sold at normal modellers shops
normaly A4 size.
now go to a model train show or supplier, then look at evergreen. precut and by thickness, i bought the whole range recently from my local; shop.

you say you are in the south east. same here. ok my main source is Model World it is at the Garden center oppersite Maidstone Crem. just off the M20

the other trick is every time you go shopping or pass a model shop pop in and by a sheet.

now there is also firms in the Aircraft & truck model supplies who do the sheets 2ft x 2ft or 4x4 .

but in the long run it is not that expensive for what it is compared to Etch brass or brass sections.

hope this helps ossie
 _GOTOTOP