Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Missing Lynx
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 09:46 AM UTC
Got to get this off my chest. I've posted on Missing Lynx in the past. I also like to think I've helped a lot of people on that site in the past in the hints & tips forum. I've posted pics on the completed models forum, and what has always 'pinched' me is the way they treat people who forget or don't know to post their full e-mail address when making a contribution. Even though the form for submitting content actually says it's optional. Their completely false and franky laughable, ridiculous sense of superiority is something I find akin to the 11 to 16 year olds I teach. There are a lot of people on that site who never cease trying to tell other people how good they are. From so-called kit reviewers who think they can qualify as 'experts' because there own ego is huge, to self-important no-marks who actually take delight and make themselves feel a little more important by saying 'warning' it is a requirement that posters follow the site guidelines and display a full valid email address....etc., etc.'
I was curious enough to ask why the form for submitting content says the e-mail address is optional yesterday, and all the little inflated ego's came crawling out from under the stones to issue forth commandments. It ended with me suggesting none to politely that they either change the requirement for a full e-mail address or change the form where it says 'optional'.
They have now banned my IP address from the forums. Seems they don't like being criticized? Anyhow, since I found armorama and the guys here, missing-lynx is truly superfluous, unecessary, and a pain in the butt.
P.S. I forgive any of you guys who post there as well as at Armorama, we all learn through experience!

Vinnie
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 09:57 AM UTC
Vinnie,

I "lurked" at a couple of modeling forum sites before enlisting here. While we can have disagreements here, I have found that Armorama is not populated with big egos and definitely has the best sense of comaraderie that I have seen. I am sorry to hear that they have "shunned" you.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 10:00 AM UTC
Thats one of my major gripes with the site as well. I started out there, but soon found Armorama. I still check out the models and interesting articles and threads, but seldom post!
There are a lot of good guys there as well. Its a pity its infested by the egotistic types.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 4,342 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 10:00 AM UTC
I don't want to defend ML staff and users, as I know how unpleasent they can be sometimes enforcing their policies, but the discrepancy between their policy and the forum form is something they can't really do much to change. Unlike Armorama, ML does not have its own forum engine. They use Network54 services and Network54 provides the form to create new posts. ML are not able to change what is written on the posting form, as Network54 does not allow to do it. And in this form email address is optional, but this only means that the post will not be rejected by the forum system if the address was not provided. ML created their own policy regarding emails and it is displayed on forum pages. Also remember that ML is owned by Osprey Publishing and they sometimes prefer to "stay safe" and enforce strict policies to avoid any possible legal problems.

Here on Armorama staff_Jim created his own forum engine, so he can make any changes to it when necessary.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 10:14 AM UTC
Ciao Vinnie,
I am sorry to hear that you had such an unpleasant experience at Missing Lynx, but I am not suprised. I submitted a couple of models to them, and I guess that I was not up to their standard. Neither was ever placed on the webpage, and I was never given any info as to why.
So, here I am, and very happy!!
Ciao for now
Rob
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 10:28 AM UTC
Vodnik that's very interesting. I never knew that site was ran by Osprey.

I would have to echo some of the other comments here. I think that site has some extremely talented modelers but I really hate the forum. I have seen too many instances like what Teacher relates. I've never even tried to sign up for it to allow me to post to it for that reason. Because of that I never noticed it said that email was optional.

Personally as much as I like a lot of the people here I don't like giving out my email too much. I know I can make up some hotmail or yahoo dummy account but why bother? I really don't understand the requirement.

I'll continue to check it from time to time but I'll continue to post here on Armorama. If they want to look down their noses at us because of our callsigns, ranks, and friendliness then that's their loss.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 10:35 AM UTC
Please feel free to criticize me .... for how am I to learn where I need to improve?
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 10:35 AM UTC
I too tried a good few modelling site before i came here
i have to say a great many seem pretty hostile in fact i said that in my intro post
Armorama is THE best and most friendly modelling site around
no doubt many memebers here also post in other forums , in fact a similar thing happened recently
before i joined armorama i posted in the Forums on DD
this was in June 2003 iintroduced my self and asked a few question no one replied its like i was the only one there
then around 3 days ago someone replied ,then i said
this site is obviously not too friendly i'm settlied in else where now , the next poster was a Gentleman who also knows me rom here ,andsiad some very nice things about me (Thanks mate it means a lot )
then i was flooded with responses mostlky from the Ed
whos reply was "you posted in figures "
being the reson i didnt get a response ,i have to say here what ever the Question and where ever it is someone will reply !
and at least tell you you posted it in the wrong place! i have to stress now though the Editor of DD is a real nice chap and i hope i didnt offend him
to that nice bloke !
getting back to Missing Lynx
i found it quite hostlie there i got lots of Bad E-mails and P.M.s from members ,who said something similar to what another member here recenlty experienced
so i wouldnt go back there now ! The big A is home now
and i will happily go on paying to support it . long live ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 01:00 PM UTC
What you all say I have never experienced. I have submitted work, and was responded to in a clear, concise and prompt format. I found WW2 first, then Tracklink, ML, Planet armor and finally Armorama. I like Armorama and ML the best. While there are certainly some heated discussions on ML, they are on one level rather amussing to me, kinda like watching a cat fight. It is Osprey's forum, they pay for it, just like Jim does here, thus they are free to do with it as they please, just as any forum owner has the right to do. As a user we have little say in the forums rules, but we can choose not to visit it, or to post on it. I read the thread you are talking about Vinnie, and personally I thought you were just as much out of line as the others. This is a hobby within a hobby, your life does not depend on it, so I guess I would say life is too short to worry this, get over it and move on.

My 2 cents (American)
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 01:23 PM UTC
The only thing i dont really like about adding pictures to ML gallery is you agree not to post them on any other english language website ! or at least thats how i can see it

that sucks !
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 01:42 PM UTC
I lurked in ML for a while and in Armorama having learned about it from reading post in ML from Armorama members. I did notice that some of the ML members and I do not know if they are members here, seemed to be a little high and mighty. I really felt like chiming in and saying "Hey, we build models, it's a hobby for most of us ... the fate of the world doesn't hang in the balance." But having delt with people like that most of my life I knew it would be complete waste of time. I still read the ML site and check out their tip and tricks, but this site by far has the nicest people overall.

Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 03:08 PM UTC
Hi all...can help my self to give my 2 cents here...

before armorama, ML was my first ever modelling forum...i join them in 2000 and learn many trick and tips. However, the things like our friend Teacher said is something that i too found to be annoying.. i've been issued such warning about full email address, pseudonames etc..etc....and sometime i feel irritating when some fella issued such warning to people that posted and some issued to newly join member... to me it's isnt fair!! Once, i raised a question about this policy but unware of the flame that was created with my question... no friendly explanation was given ... all of them acting like some kind of modelling authority!! This reduced my interest at them but given the fact that at that time they;'re not so many AFV modeling forum, so i stick with them with a lot of patience...

but, they're plenty of good modeller in side ML that i can denied.. but their egoism is killing me too... i lost a few buddies down there do to some minor issued..... at i started to lost interest in ML slowly and started to search for better alternative until i found Armorama which is now has become my home. ML people are helping me too but not like in the way that been happening here at Armorama... Here i feel like family....firiend all over the world help each other regardless of the differences in believe and politics... take example the tragedy that happend to our friend Costas... all the help around the world in less then a month.. and some good fellas here a kindf enough to send me some missing part... Unlike in ML, ppl did promise to send me something but at the end none of them are actually keep their promises.......

dont be offended with my statement here...just my 2 cents... and after so many modelling community that i join, Armorama is the best!! Keep it up
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 04:17 PM UTC
Ditto, never had a problem over there after at least three years.

You just have to play by the rules. No biggie.
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 04:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The only thing i dont really like about adding pictures to ML gallery is you agree not to post them on any other english language website ! or at least thats how i can see it

that sucks !

I found the same thing irritating Steeldog.

Who the hell do they think they are that they have the right to tell me who I can give pics of my work to!! I find their site very stale and boring. Their "elititst" attitude realy turns my stomach given that this is only hobby or past time. Although they are very good, the models are from the same group of people over and over again.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 09:29 PM UTC
Vinnie, just remember the immortal words of Groucho Marx..

Quoted Text

"I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would let ME join..."

... :-) Jim
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 09:41 PM UTC
Lol, thanks Jim, cheered me up! I guess I've calmed down now. It just really peeved me that they take themselves so seriously in what is after all, supposed to be a hobby for people to enjoy.

Thanks to all (nearly) who posted here for their support.

Vinnie
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 795 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 01:10 AM UTC
I visit quite a few forums. For different reasons. Some I just read some I also participate in.
ML is one among them. Ive never had no problems to this date.

I do not complain about one site or another. If I dont like it for some reason I just stop visiting there. I especially dont like when the "we and them" arguing comes up.

We are all modellers.
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 01:35 AM UTC
I used to post there a little but replies don't come as easy as here. Same with Track link. I don't find them as friendly but they do have a great gallery of models. The Big A though kicks the hell out of them though. They can't come close to the community and friendly atmosphere that is here.

HastyP
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 06:08 AM UTC
thats somethign i found unpleasent also, i found missing lynx before armorama, and when i looked aroudn a bit and found they had standards for there reviews, that got me frustrated a bit because i think everyone has something valid to share.

Frank
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 06:35 AM UTC
Hmm... Personally I think it all boils down to 'Horses for Courses'. Not everyone likes the style that has developed here at Armorama, nor would I imagine everyone likes the style at M-L or T-L.

Surely the difference between sites is something to be encouraged? Nor, do I personally think that we should use this thread as an excuse to go against another military modelling site...

Both M-L and T-L do a really good job. There are things that we here could learn from and things that they could learn from this site.

Yes, Armorama IS a friendly site. We also have rules. We have rules for a simple reason, not to limit personal freedom, but to ensure that someone else's isn't limited by a few thoughtless words or Trolls.

Whatever policy M-L or T-L or whoever have regarding use of full names, policy of reviews etc, that is their business. I am a member of both and as such I can comment on their forums whenever the need arises. What doesn't strike me as particularly pleasant, is that Vinnie's original and thoughtful thread could rapidly turn into 'let's bash ML for the hell of it..'

Francois, EVERY DECENT SITE has standards for reviews - here everyone can submit a review, news story or feature and it will be considered on its merits. It is absolutely vital for the site to maintain a certain standard in the information it provides. That's a reason to knock M-L? ....Jim
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 10:06 AM UTC
Ciao Jim,
I think that Frank meant "abnormally high" standards. I actually agree with his assessment. I have read this entire thread, and it just proves that their is a normal human inclination to choose sides. Some are just more passionate about it than others. Yes, Armorama is a wonderful site, but certainly not the only one out there.
I think what makes Armorama so great is (Well, No. 1 is the People) that we can post our models up instantly and then get instant gratification. Other sites require/insist/demand submission for approval. That can be time-consuming and disappointing.
Let's just agree to disagree and get on with modeling. Besides, the Rams are playing the Seahawks and it's tough for me to type, read and watch TV at the same time.
Ciao for now
Rob
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 10:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmm... Personally I think it all boils down to 'Horses for Courses'. Not everyone likes the style that has developed here at Armorama, nor would I imagine everyone likes the style at M-L or T-L.

Surely the difference between sites is something to be encouraged? Nor, do I personally think that we should use this thread as an excuse to go against another military modelling site...

Both M-L and T-L do a really good job. There are things that we here could learn from and things that they could learn from this site.

Yes, Armorama IS a friendly site. We also have rules. We have rules for a simple reason, not to limit personal freedom, but to ensure that someone else's isn't limited by a few thoughtless words or Trolls.

Whatever policy M-L or T-L or whoever have regarding use of full names, policy of reviews etc, that is their business. I am a member of both and as such I can comment on their forums whenever the need arises. What doesn't strike me as particularly pleasant, is that Vinnie's original and thoughtful thread could rapidly turn into 'let's bash ML for the hell of it..'

Francois, EVERY DECENT SITE has standards for reviews - here everyone can submit a review, news story or feature and it will be considered on its merits. It is absolutely vital for the site to maintain a certain standard in the information it provides. That's a reason to knock M-L? ....Jim

Ditto!

The other Jim
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 10:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ciao Jim,
I think that Frank meant "abnormally high" standards. I actually agree with his assessment. I have read this entire thread, and it just proves that their is a normal human inclination to choose sides. Some are just more passionate about it than others. Yes, Armorama is a wonderful site, but certainly not the only one out there.
I think what makes Armorama so great is (Well, No. 1 is the People) that we can post our models up instantly and then get instant gratification. Other sites require/insist/demand submission for approval. That can be time-consuming and disappointing.
Let's just agree to disagree and get on with modeling. Besides, the Rams are playing the Seahawks and it's tough for me to type, read and watch TV at the same time.
Ciao for now
Rob

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by having to "submit" your models for display on other sites?

ML has a Constructive Comments forum set up that requires no submission, or log in to show your models to others for instant critique.

Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 12:44 PM UTC
Sorry guy's don't know how to quote.
Dave's (Grumpy) answer sayes it all
"Please feel free to criticize me .... for how am I to learn where I need to improve?

This is what makes Armorama a better place for modellers