_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Exchange rates & purchasing power
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 06:02 PM UTC
My job requires me to monitor exchange rates so I may time our procurements when it's low against our currency. Especially against the Euro. But recently the Euro's been steadily rising. It affects my company and now I am actively searching for alternative American suppliers. I wasn't surprised to learn that our local hobby shop wont be purchasing from Italeri/Humbrol/Heller until such time that the Euro goes down to a reasonable price. Well it's going to be quite sad since they'll just be finishing off their European stocks and we'll end up with just Tamiya or Academy to choose from. DML can't reach the Mid-East except through Italeri so we'll have to pay Euro to get to them too.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 06:26 PM UTC
Hi Mondo,

I'm a buyer by profession, and I'm finding at the moment that I'm buying as much as I can in US$ as the £Sterling is so strong. This is good for my employer (where we can switch to $) and for my hobby - I can import a kit from the US or HK etc. for about 1/2 of the UK cost!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 06:51 PM UTC
hey were should what should i do to save so much

Frank
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 07:03 PM UTC
I gotta say, I'm having a great time with the devalued USD. The South African Rand (ZAR) is strong against both the USD and the GBP.
Our petroleum price came down astronomically this month. This also affects our prime lending rate, currently 11%, which if it decreases leaves us with more money in the pocket - or in my case paying of my properties quicker.
More relevant to this site, all our modeling goods are imported, so this eventually leads to cheaper goods. This gives many of us the opportunity to either stockpile our usuals or buy the more expensive kits we would not normally be allowed (by SWMBO :-) ) to buy.

DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 07:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hey were should what should i do to save so much

Frank

As you're in Canada it'll be more difficult. Sterling is normally a strong currency and at present is close to $2 to the £1, so we can buy well in $ countries.
When I went to Canada last year I took an extra bag with me and filled it just with models as they are already about 1/3rd cheaper than UK prices.
We also get a lot of duty applied when goods are imported into the UK, and tax applied in the shop when we buy, so prices in the UK are artificially high anyway without the currency issue.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 08:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

we'll end up with just Tamiya or Academy to choose from. DML can't reach the Mid-East except through Italeri so we'll have to pay Euro to get to them too.

No, Italeri lost the contract to be the european supplier as the kit prices were starting to get silly up to £35 for a kit. A company in Austria now have the contract and the prices have come down by on average £12 and Austria isnt in the EU either so maybe think about ordering from there?
Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 266 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

More relevant to this site, all our modeling goods are imported, so this eventually leads to cheaper goods.

That may be true, but remember, the models on the shelves in the local hobby stores were bought when the prices were still high, so I doubt if we'll see any significant changes in the prices of kit's for a while to come

Cougar
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

present is close to $2 to the £1, so we can buy well in $ countries.

to bad were not under the british regim anymore it would make my wallet happier

Frank
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 06:58 AM UTC
Don't know what the current US$ vs CDN$ is at this time but it used to be Americans would go to Canada to buy favorable products. I know it's still a very favorable US rate because my last set of Fruils cost me less than US$32 including shipping!!!
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 568 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 09:00 AM UTC
The steady decline of the USD to the JPY is what is killing me right now!I enjoy getting my kits from HLJ but that is getting expensive now!!!!!
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 09:24 AM UTC
Noticed in the last few days that prices seem to be levelling out - either shops in the UK are noticing that they are losing business overseas and lowering their prices, or those abroad are making a buck! The last three models I've bought are from good old Hannants!
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 1,036 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 07:15 PM UTC
Not only kits. I used to buy Military Modelling magazine every month and Scale Model Magazine whenever their is something interesting. Since they jacked up the price in the bookstore by 15%, it's been 6 months since my last purchase. I get a better deal surfing the net. When I started buying MilMod it cost us here 27 Saudi riyals in 1999, Now it's 38 Saudi riyals. Scale model Magazine started out at 17riyals now it's 32 riyals. If I subscribe the censors here will take out half the magazine for improper content.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 05:21 PM UTC
hey, jsut for the fun of it
0.8118 is what our canadian dollar is worth compared to the us.

thats pretty high, i remember it being 75 cents, almost 76, guess i havnt paid much attention.

whats hte minimum wage in the states? here its 7.45, so this means 6 bucks in the states. how much is the minimum wage in the states?

Frank
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 06:13 PM UTC
I think the Canuck Buck was closer to $.63 a year ago. With it now up around $0.82, it makes it easier to buy stuff from the US. It's a good time to order stuff from all you guys down in the States. This may be a good year to stock up on some supplies.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 06:34 PM UTC
Minimum wage is set by federal, state and local law.
I believe federal is currently $5.65. States sometime impose certain minimums if, for example you don't offer health benefits, you have to add another $1. City of Detroit requires $7.37 if you do business with the city. Its almost $10 if you have a city contract and you don't offer health benefits
 _GOTOTOP