_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Mk2 hand grenade
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:17 AM UTC
Heres a question for you guys.. Did the Mk2 hand grenade ever go into service with the spoon a blue colour? Or was it all one colour??
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:21 AM UTC
i'm thinking it was all one color unless it was a training grenade of some sort.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:22 AM UTC
I've only seen them in the natural metal and in olive drab (same color as the body of the grenade)...never seen one in blue, but I imagine that would indicate it is inert (non-functional for training purposes)..hope this helps
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:29 AM UTC
thanks for the help fellas.. appericiate it..one colour it is
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 11:35 AM UTC
Guys above are correct. Blue is the color of inert training grenades. All other (live) grenades have either bare metal, parkerized, or OD Green spoons, depends on the manufacturer, either is correct.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 12:19 PM UTC
Umm, I must disagree. Different colors on US grenades had nothing to do with fuse length.
A RED band & markings on a grenade would indicate a chemical agent, such as in a CS riot control Grenade.
A BLUE band, Body, Or spoon indicates a training grenade(not to be confused with a 'Safed' Grenade. Safed grenades are totally inert, while Practice grenades such as the M-30 have a small training /smoke charge.)
A YELLOW band & markings indicate a high explosive charge, mostly used in Fragmentation Grenades such as the MK2, M-26/26a1 and the rifle trap grenades.

Mojo, you could put a yellow band around the neck of the Grenade body, & if I'm not mistaken someone with much better eyes than myself markets decals for the yellow Tac markings on the body. Of course, you can just leave the little2mm things solid OD & nobody'd notice

( I'm assuming 1:35 here. Larger scales may benefit from a bit of yellow.)
HTH!
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 04:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mojo, you could put a yellow band around the neck of the Grenade body

Mojo, just by way of confirmation for you, my police chief has a Mk2 that was emptied out (Saw it yesterday as a matter of fact)...the whole grenade was OD, spoon, fuse assembly and body...had a yellow stripe around the neck just below the fuse assembly, just like Rob mentioned.
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 07:18 AM UTC
Just out of curiosity guys...............

If one of those grenades is traveling in your direction are you really going to stick around to see what color the spoon is???
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 01:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just out of curiosity guys...............

If one of those grenades is traveling in your direction are you really going to stick around to see what color the spoon is???

By that time the spoon should be gone. Doesn't it leave the granade, flying off, after being thrown?

One would have to stop, look up, and try to see what color the band around the neck is. You might have to squint real hard.....
:-)
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 05:14 PM UTC
Thanks again for the replies everyone.. appreciate the help... so looks lke one colour it is.. Kinda looks like Im going to go with OD and perhaps a yellow band.. And the scale is 120mm.. its Verlindens 101st Airborne Easy CO thompson machine gunner.. All i gotta do now is find a decent colour for the boots.. I swore I had a bottle of russet around here...

Thanks again
Mojo
 _GOTOTOP