History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Book Discussion?
Hiram_Sedai
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 201 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 04:57 AM UTC
Not sure where to post this:

I'm currently reading "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" and am enjoying it immensely.

Anyone else read this one?

For me, its a refreshing change compared to so many S. Ambrose books I read.

Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 837 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 02:49 AM UTC
If your talking about Shirars book i have. Good read but a bit out dated in its historiagraphy and analysis of the third reich but a good first hand account of how things were at the time.

Ross
Hiram_Sedai
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 03:03 AM UTC
For me, it's a bit overwhelming to learn how much happened before that first shot was officially fired in 1939 vs the Poles.

I like the "behind the scenes" feel to it too. It's almost like reading a Heinz Guderian book. I guess I got bored by too many John Keegan books too.

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 03:38 AM UTC
Shirer was principally a print journalist, therefore his approach to the subject will read better than the average historian's. It is a brilliant introduction to an enormously complex subject which should be seen as a solid primer.

Ambrose was principally a 'Historical Commentator' although his books lack the depth of work by Keegan (again one of my favorite modern historians) his work was most notable in being able to tie-in 'personal experience' to the 'big picture' something which is academically easy to criticise, but rarely easy to emulate..

For a good mixture of the two writing styles (Journalist and Historian), Max Hastings is a superbly qualified writer. His book 'Overlord' is one of the best ever done....Jim
Hiram_Sedai
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 03:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Shirer was principally a print journalist, therefore his approach to the subject will read better than the average historian's. It is a brilliant introduction to an enormously complex subject which should be seen as a solid primer.

Ambrose was principally a 'Historical Commentator' although his books lack the depth of work by Keegan (again one of my favorite modern historians) his work was most notable in being able to tie-in 'personal experience' to the 'big picture' something which is academically easy to criticise, but rarely easy to emulate..

For a good mixture of the two writing styles (Journalist and Historian), Max Hastings is a superbly qualified writer. His book 'Overlord' is one of the best ever done....Jim

You are correct sir!! Max Hastings rocks! I thoroughly enjoyed his book on Operation Overlord. My difficulty with the Ambrose books was the mindset that the war didn't really start until 1941. The superhuman 101st et al got a bit boring after a while. I know, because of Band of Brothers, many think that the Americentric savior idea is the only one to have. I'm still looking for some good books, but I know "good" is subjective.

Anyone ever read "The Tigers are Burning" by Martin Caiden?

PS I forgot the Author's name but two good books were "The fall of Stalingrad" and "The fall of Berlin" Edit again -- Anthony Beevor (spelling may be off)
Incredible imagery!

PPS In now way do I want to seem to be Ambrose bashing. The late mister Ambrose was the director of the Eisenhow institute and did fill a much needed niche in WWII studies.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PS I forgot the Author's name but two good books were "The fall of Stalingrad" and "The fall of Berlin

'Stalingrad' was Antony Beevor, 'Fall Of Berlin' Read & Fisher..Jim
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 07:56 AM UTC
Berlin the down fall 1945 was Beevors effort I have that and Stalingrad they didnt press my buttons I hope to get Max Hastings Armageddon the fall of Germany its a huge book but Ive heard good reports.
BSPRU
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 152 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 03:49 PM UTC
Two great reads are "Gotterdammerung 1945" by Russ Schneider. "Into the Rising Sun" Byu Patrick O'Donnell. The first book intermixes first person accounts and a overview from the german perpective on the Eastern Front from January 1945 till the end of the war. The second book is all first person accounts of Marines and Paratroopers fighting the Japanese.
brian