_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hi fellas
Beginner
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 30 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 11:24 AM UTC
First off, sorry for the late introduction (I just realized this part of the forum existed). As you can see, I'm a beginner modeller (15 years old). I've pretty much only built 1:144 aircraft, but recently moved up to a more challenging project, the airfix buffalo :-)
I am constantly astounded by the level of modelling your guys do, but see that you all use airbrushes. Just one quick question from me....how can you achieve maximum potential out of your single paint brush? Also, how long should you keep paint that's not being used before it begins to change colour?

Thanks guys, nice meeting yas :-)
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 11:43 AM UTC
Hi Beginner and welcome, to try and answer your questions and you will get a lot of answers and most all of them good ones. As far as using one brush I'm assuming you're talking air brush. Use a duel action brush it will spray very narrow to very wide from low to high air flow.
As for keeping paint that kind of depends on the paint, oils will keep longer than acrylics that are water based. Depends on how you store them where you store them the temp the humidity etc etc ... a lot of factors. I've had oils and enamels which is about all I use longer than you've been around, I have some tubes of oils that are over 20 years old and still good. It's all in the quality of the paint in my opinon.
I'm sure you will get more and better answers I hope this helps to start..

Again welcome,
Dave
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 11:46 AM UTC
Welcome to you down under. If you look at my gallery all my stuff is brush painted.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 12:04 PM UTC
hi beginner, welcome abord. i havnt noticed color changing with paints sicne i jsut started using a lot of acrylics, but when i started of, when i was 7-8, until a few months ago,(iam 15) i mainly used enamels and noticed some would dry up i switched because i ab a lot and i like the results and easy cleaning of tamiya acrylics better.

paint brushes are always good, but having an ab is always handy and worth the money, so if you plan on practising this hobby for long its probly worth the investmant( and if you parents have doubts about the buy liek mine did, just say you could become a painter and paitn cars when you grow up )

Enjoy the stay and feel free to ask questions,
Frank
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 12:30 PM UTC
Hey mate welcome indeed
its nice to see so many younger modellers joining us recently
i guess the guiys have pretty much answered your question
enjoy armorama and any questions just fire away some one will know what you need
get stuck in join a campaign ( i believe AGE 2 for th youger guys?it looks fantastic too) and have fun talk soon ! k
Verboten
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
entire network: 202 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 12:59 PM UTC
Welcome Beginner! There are people from all over the world, and all are here to build models. Welcome to the family. Without a doubt you will find what you are looking for here. In fact, there is an entire forum devoted to airbrushing. You should check it out. Welcome.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 01:40 PM UTC
Welcome to Armorama Beginner Glad to see another mate from down under join us here. A lot of us here brush paint our project still. Not to worry about the airbrush. I have a couple of them but hardly use them. The majority of the models in my gallery are brushed painted also. As has been stated already there is a painting thread here and a lot of very talented people here who are eager to help you along. So jump right in and start enjoying.
Beginner
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 02:23 PM UTC
Thanks for the warm welcome guys :-) :

I just can't seem to paint as well as the models on display. Do you guys paint multiple coats? What order should I paint the coats in? I ran in to quite a bit of trouble when I tried painting the NATO colours on my M1A2. The colours mixed, and the brown became a light green What's the best way to paint the NATO colours with a brush (paint brush with bristles)?

Thanks once again
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 05:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The colours mixed, and the brown became a light green

Make sure the first coat of paint is completly dry before covering with the next coat (color). Also make sure that if you use different makes/types of paint that they are comptible.... Some paints react badly with others. I was painting with Tamiya German grey a while back and wanted to lighten the shade for shading ( stating the obvious I know, I should really go to bed ) and Ihad what I thought was a perfect color for it.. Lifecolor UA 124 Japan GreyGreenA5. mixed the two, no problem, nice shade, I added Tamiya X20 thinner, fine (I thought) spray light on the panels of my Pzr IV, and theirs like little bits in my paint.. turns out that the Lifecolor (acrylic) doesn't seem to like Tamiya (acrylic) thinner.

As for camouflage painting, there are so many ways/techniques, try a search under 'camouflage paint' or something in the google box on the left, as this site has got a wealth of info..

Cheers
Henk
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 06:14 PM UTC
dry paint and an ab do the trick here

Frank
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hello Beginner

Welcome to the big A

You are gonna like it here mate
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 07:11 PM UTC
hi Beginner,
welcome to Armorama.glad you joined us..please check AGE#2
Beginner
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 07:58 PM UTC
Ah cool I might enter.

Anyway, back to the paint. Once finished painting, do you guys completely cover the the model in a coating of some sort? Also, what do you use to paint people (they're a bit hard to paint due to their size)?
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 12:33 AM UTC
welcome aboard my friend !! in Armorama u wont be a begginer for long . All friends here we re willing to boost ur skills , ask fo any help u need. Enjoy

Costas
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:42 AM UTC
Welcome aboard,
Nice to have you here.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:44 AM UTC
Ciao Beginner,
Welcome to the 'A' and feel at home here. Now, you have to start posting your work so that we can be inspired by it.
Ciao for now
Rob
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:48 AM UTC
Hi There, and welcome. I've been modelling over 40 years and have never even owned an airbrush. For good results with a brush here are a few tips:

Always use the best brushes you an afford, nowadays there are some good artificial brushes that are nearly as good as the traditional sable
Always let one colour dry before adding another over or beside the first
Use several thin coats of paint rather than one thick one

Any more help you need, just ask!
Beginner
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 12:09 PM UTC
Thanks for the warm welcome once again :-)

Is one coat of paint enough? What's the best way to achieve the most realistic look of a 1/35 model tank in NATO colours? I just paint them in the colours, but one coat only. It doesn't seem to ever look as good as some of yours

Finally... what's the best way to keep your brush clean? I just use terpentine but does that wreak the brush?

Thanks.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 02:31 PM UTC
Howdy Beginner,

Allow me to wish you a hearty "Welcome!" to the site. You will enjoy your time here immensely.

As you can see, other's have already pointed you in the direction of the AGE Campaigns, so you've hopefully checked that out.

As to using a brush. I wouldn't worry too much about that. True, there are certain affects that are easier to accomplish with an airbrush. But by no means think for a second that they cannot be done without one.....take for example Dave Cox's Matador (have I already said how much I love your Matador Dave?..?). It is an excellent example of what one can do armed solely with a brush!

Glad to have you aboard!

Tread.
 _GOTOTOP