History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
marine corps vs navy
Robster
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
entire network: 386 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 09:13 AM UTC
I have a question, what is in the US the diference between the marine corps and the navy.
In Holland we only have the marine and they are fighting on land and water.
so i guese that in the US, the marine corps is fighting on land and the navy on water.
So please correct me if i'm wrong.

Greetz Rob!
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 09:55 AM UTC
Same as in Britain and most countries that have both Navy and Marines - the Marines are the Navy's soldiers. Hence the Royal Marines motto - 'Per Mare Per Terram' - By Land and By Sea.
Robster
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 10:01 AM UTC
thanks for explanation dave,

Greetz Rob!
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 10:04 AM UTC
the USMC (united states marine corps) is under the department of the navy. the Marines were originially the fighting force aboard old US warships (wooden warship's we're talking) and man stations aboard ships today (not as a boarding force though) .

the marines have MEUs, marine expiditionary units that are aboard ships, mainly helicopter carriers as helos are the primary vehicle for taking marines into combat by air. The MEUs are on standby all the time and ready to go at a moment's notice.

the marines are also the only U.S. force to guard our embassies in foreign countries. they are also responsible for transporting the president (by helicopter)

the navy has its ships and planes and supplies marines w/ transport by ship and supplies it with combat medics (as does the army in some cases)

the marines have their infantry, armor and other AFV's, planes and helicopters. only thing marines dont have is medics and ships. the marines are the smallest of our 4 main branches (airforce, army, navy, marines) but are considered the elite and often noted for their strong NCO (non commisioned officer) corps.

we've got a handful or so of marines on this site that would be happy to talk to you about it.

-Shain
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 10:17 AM UTC
The Marines I know like to say that they'll always need the Navy, until they can learn to walk on water.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 10:20 AM UTC
Good job Shain as that about sums it up, but you left out MAU (Marine Amphibious Units) which is kinda like what you see storming the beachs in WWII the go ashore via Amtracks and other Amphibious Equipment. They are part of the MEU (pronouced 'MOW")
As many Marines are fond of saying the Marines are the Mens Department of the Navy .... I'm sure that will stir a few squids up. (Feel the love.)
The Marine while the elite branch of the services as a rule tend to get the last of everything and again arose the saying "We have done so much for so long with so little we can now do anything with nothing.

Semper Fi
Dave
Former US Marine
SSgt 2nd Force Recon
Robster
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 10:49 AM UTC
thanks for explanation guys,
now I right know what belongs to the marine and what belongs to the navy.(sorry for wrong english)

greetz Rob
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 01:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good job Shain as that about sums it up, but you left out MAU (Marine Amphibious Units) which is kinda like what you see storming the beachs in WWII the go ashore via Amtracks and other Amphibious Equipment. They are part of the MEU (pronouced 'MOW")
As many Marines are fond of saying the Marines are the Mens Department of the Navy .... I'm sure that will stir a few squids up. (Feel the love.)
The Marine while the elite branch of the services as a rule tend to get the last of everything and again arose the saying "We have done so much for so long with so little we can now do anything with nothing.

Semper Fi
Dave
Former US Marine
SSgt 2nd Force Recon

thanks for letting me know that i summed it all up, hope it wasnt too confusing! yes i did forget the MAU, thanks for adding that in there.

and to your response rodger, my dad said a while back, the marines dont need the navy, we can swim to the battle!

Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 03:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Semper Fi
Dave
Former US Marine
SSgt 2nd Force Recon

Was going to point that out Dave, how the Marines are the men's department of the Navy. Just love bustin on those rustpickers... lol

I love the Navy though, seriously. They take us where we need to fight, they help with CAS and naval gunfire and they supply us our Devils Docs.

Semper Fi
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 09:51 AM UTC
And we still take care of our own....LOL LMAO :-) :-) :-) :-)
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,086 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 12:57 PM UTC
But the Devil Docs all know what the best part of the Corps is -- The Corpsman. Seriously though, as much as I like being a sailor, I can't see my self anywhere but on the green side. Even though it means I get called up for a second go round in Iraq next year. Semper Fi to all the Teufelhunden out there.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 02:57 AM UTC
My hat's off to you John. My son spent 6 years as an ET2 (SS), and always spoke very highly of Corpsmen. Must have made a tremendous impact.

After his enlistment was up, he went into the Army National Guard as a Medic.

What's he doing now? You may run into him some day in the future. Ensign Hathaway is at the University of Michigan Medical School and is going to be a Navy Doctor.

Tom
Splinty2001
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 84 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 01:48 PM UTC
Why do they put Marines on ships?

So the sailors ahve someone to dance with. :-)

Just a G.I. havin' some fun, I've trained with Marines and they were very Hooah.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 06:12 AM UTC
BTW Rob, to give you some idea of scale, the USMC is about the size of the entire UK Armed Forces...