_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Model contests and the 1/72nd scale modeller
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 04:57 AM UTC
I am writing to tell everyone of my complaints about model contests and how they judge the 1/72nd scale catagorys.
I have been to many shows in my time as well as you guys have also. But the one thing that I have noticed is that the judging of figures pretty much favored to the 1/35th scale and larger areas and NOT the 1/72nd scale figures.
I guess what I am trying to say is this, I entered a 2 figure small (Vinette) sorry bad spelling, in 1/72nd scale, in the figures catagory. The figures had all the detail just like their 1/35th scale buddies but smaller. When the judging was over my figures was pushed a side. I asked one of the judges who judged this catagory why I did not place and told me that even though my figures looked as good as the others, they were so small that his fellow judges could not justify that the detail was as good and noticable as the larger ones.
Now I am not complaining about not placing, I am complaining about how the judging is towards the 1/72nd scale and smaller figures.
I beleive that there should be a better way of judging figures and not just think that the 1/35th scale and larger only exsist.
Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 266 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 09:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I beleive that there should be a better way of judging figures and not just think that the 1/35th scale and larger only exsist.

Ideally they should be split into sections (72nd, 35th, 16th and other), but this doesn't always happen because most of the time you only have 35th and 16th in a figure category.

Cougar
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 09:35 AM UTC
Then there was poor judging.

A couple years ago, a 25mm Gandalf took 1st fantasy over an 18 inch tall creature at our show. I usually enter the figure classes so can't judge.

At this year's IPMS Nats, the same figure (by a different person) took second in fantasy over some serious work. In this case, I helped.

There aren't that many small scale realistic figures enterred, certainly not enough to justify a separate category. The breakdown often goes like this: 54mm and smaller (realistic), larger than 54mm realistic, fantasy, and mounted. For most contests, this gives a good spread and allows reaonably fair competition while making an award meaningful.

This is yet another case for open judging.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 01:01 PM UTC
Can't answer for figures, but for armor, I've found judging to be quite fair in regards to 1/72-1/76 scale armor.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 01:38 PM UTC
Last fall I got some nice comments on my 1/72 Sherman. The judge did comment sheets on all models (a nice idea) and I scored very high. What I was marked down on was weathering. The model wasn't weathered at all. Not a good choice for a contest entry. Just goes to show, it's all in who is doing the judging. I just try to have a good time.

Chuck
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 04:01 AM UTC
Jody, as was already mentioned above, there are usually splits in the category's. If there arent enough figures entered then there is no room for a split. At the MPAS show this year, there were absolutely zero figures entered at all. The award for best figure went to a Junior who had some very nice figures on one of his diorama's. Go figure the odds of that happening! (Bad pun, I'm sorry) What you did was correct. Find the judges, and ask what happened. I wouldnt buy off on the answer you were given though.

AL, you can judge figures if you enter them, just not your own figures. This has happened to me on occassion. When we got to mine, I politely excused myself to go and look at something else, then re-joined the group once they were finished with my piece and continued judging. I thought some would have heart ache about this, but so far I have not ran into anybody who has.
Just my .02$ worth. "Q"
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

AL, you can judge figures if you enter them, just not your own figures. This has happened to me on occassion. When we got to mine, I politely excused myself to go and look at something else, then re-joined the group once they were finished with my piece and continued judging. I thought some would have heart ache about this, but so far I have not ran into anybody who has.

Agreed, most events in the northeast are 1-2-3 contests, rather than open system. I wind up judging in other areas, usually armor or aircraft. I hate doing cars because there are usually too many worthy entries to winnow down. When I do judge figures, it's in classes I haven't entered, so I can typically judge large figures and most time fantasy. If it were open (G-S-B) I would certainly do as you do.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 11:29 PM UTC
well here in Greece this also happens , They usually overlook the 1.72 - 1/76 in favour of 1/35 . Thats sad but true
 _GOTOTOP