History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Germany and nerve gas
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 09:50 PM UTC
Here's something to think over---

With the Russians boiling like a mass of ants across the Oder River in 1945 or even earlier when they kicked off Operation Bagration in 1944, why didn't Hitler order the use of mustard or sarin? Either one would have knocked the Russians back with casualties that even they couldn't stand. With the Russians treating the German population that was being overrun exactly as the Germans had the Russians 3 1/2 years earlier, what did the Germans have to lose by not useing gas? It wouldn't be any more against the treaties and conventions of war than some of the other things that Hitler pulled.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 10:42 PM UTC
It is kinda strange. Maybe it has something to do with Hitler being gased in WWI. Didn't want the other armies to retaliate or something. In WWII, the British had a large supply of gas they were waiting to use.........

I was watching a show a while ago, that had many interviews with German veterans of WWII. One of them said his company came across a Russian battery, with all of its men dead. None of the dead Russians seemed wounded in any way though, they were just dead. Officers told the Germans not to speak of what they saw. Maybe, after all, the Germans did do some experimenting.......

Nic
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 10:56 PM UTC

There's one good reason Hitler didn't use gas. If he did use it, it would also be used against him.

I know this sounds rather simplistic, but true. Not that there wasn't thought of using it. You can look to see what accidentaly happened to the Italian city of Bari...

One more thing. Gas was not a very effective weapon. You know, the wind shifts and your screwed. As mentioned already, Hitler had first-hand experience with gas.

Steve

BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 11:30 PM UTC
Yes, but Hitler knew that the Russians wouldn't be stopped until they strung him up---dead or alive from the eves of the Kremlin. He had nothing to lose, and did he ever really care about the German Volk who had repeatedly "let him down"?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 11:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There's one good reason Hitler didn't use gas. If he did use it, it would also be used against him.

I know this sounds rather simplistic, but true. Not that there wasn't thought of using it. You can look to see what accidentaly happened to the Italian city of Bari...

One more thing. Gas was not a very effective weapon. You know, the wind shifts and your screwed. As mentioned already, Hitler had first-hand experience with gas.

Steve

Steve--I tend to agree with you. I am not a bugs and gas guy, but the use of chemical agents has a temporary battlefield effect. There are numerous indicators that you intend to fire the junk. First the logistics of getting whatever agents they intended to use to the firing units or emplacement positions would have been a true nightmare at this stage of the game. Assuming they placed a sufficient quantity of the gas forward (and that is a heck of a lot of munitions), you have to ask "are the crews/troops ready to fire this stuff? The Germans are scraping the bottom of the manpower barrel at this time. Next, you have to have the right weather conditions to hit the enemy and not yourself. (God, was hardly on the their side at this time). Who was going to do the weather work up and downwind prediction? Against whom are they going to fire it? There are a heck of a lot of Russians attacking them. Lastly, you have to protect your guys which means that you have to tell them what you are going to do which destroys secrecy. Then there is also that nasty little condition that says the gun crews (assuming you fire artillery rounds) have to be in protective gear, then the guns have to be decontaminated. All in all, even nutsy Adolph could not have pulled this one off. I'll go further out on the limb and say that even if it did work, the Russians would have been stalled not stopped. And, the eventual Russian payback! Wow!
DJ
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 08:40 AM UTC
Was he not dead set against this gas as it was used on him in WW1?

Sorry didn't read Folgores post oh well but was this not true?
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 10:50 AM UTC
DJ--I finally read your post and I think you've got a great arguement here. Even if Hitler wanted to, it would be neigh well impossible to use the gas to such effect that it would alter teh outcome of the war. It didn't change WWI did it? Both sides used gas then and both sides could use it in WWII. I already stated that the British had a large stockpile of poison gas that could be sent to the front the moment Hitler decided to use some of his own. Maybe the Russians had a similar setup.

Nic
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 11:18 AM UTC
If Hitler was completely set against gas, why did the Germans manufacture several hundred tons of tabun and were well on the way to doing the same with soman? Not too much happened without Hitler, Speer, and Himmler having a hand and a say about its happening.
Besides tube artillery, there were the nebelwurfer battalions, and remember, as long as the wind was right, a barrage would leave a persistant dead zone that would take out the follow on units as well. Personally, I can think of better ways to die though, like jumping into a tank full of Great Whites
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 07:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If Hitler was completely set against gas, why did the Germans manufacture several hundred tons of tabun and were well on the way to doing the same with soman? Not too much happened without Hitler, Speer, and Himmler having a hand and a say about its happening.
Besides tube artillery, there were the nebelwurfer battalions, and remember, as long as the wind was right, a barrage would leave a persistant dead zone that would take out the follow on units as well. Personally, I can think of better ways to die though, like jumping into a tank full of Great Whites

Blue---all the warring powers had huge stockpiles of "gas." We inadvertently used it when the Germans attacked the Italian harbor of Bari and hit the ship carrying mustard gas. Interesting story. I was in Alaska in 1991 and we had a heck of a time getting rid of the
WW II 25 pound practice chemical bombs still in ammunition bunkers in Adak. So, there was an abundance of it and everyone was ready to retaliate if it was used against them. Once again, the Germans had a very clear appreciation that the war was lost. Retribution for their past sins was fast approaching. I truly believe they said "things are bad enough, let's not make them worse by using the gas." As I indicated earlier, the sheer magnitude of the logistics involved would have been impossible for the Germans to pull off. If you ever take a course in Nuclear and Chemical Weapons employment the downwind prediction is a bear of a process to set up and use. Getting that crap to blow the right way becomes a SWAG. You limit the surprise factor because your guys have to be informed and in protective gear before you employ it. The other guy is watching you do this and unless they are terribly stupid (and the Russians were not) they can figure out what you are up to in a New York City second. I do not think that a person (namely Adolph) who murdered and brutalized millions of human beings had any compulsion any using it. I do believe those who saw it as worsening their situation hesitated from even suggesting it to him.
DJ
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 275 Posts
KitMaker Network: 95 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 12:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Blue---all the warring powers had huge stockpiles of "gas." We inadvertently used it when the Germans attacked the Italian harbor of Bari and hit the ship carrying mustard gas. Interesting story. I was in Alaska in 1991 and we had a heck of a time getting rid of the
WW II 25 pound practice chemical bombs still in ammunition bunkers in Adak. So, there was an abundance of it and everyone was ready to retaliate if it was used against them. Once again, the Germans had a very clear appreciation that the war was lost. Retribution for their past sins was fast approaching. I truly believe they said "things are bad enough, let's not make them worse by using the gas." As I indicated earlier, the sheer magnitude of the logistics involved would have been impossible for the Germans to pull off. If you ever take a course in Nuclear and Chemical Weapons employment the downwind prediction is a bear of a process to set up and use. Getting that crap to blow the right way becomes a SWAG. You limit the surprise factor because your guys have to be informed and in protective gear before you employ it. The other guy is watching you do this and unless they are terribly stupid (and the Russians were not) they can figure out what you are up to in a New York City second. I do not think that a person (namely Adolph) who murdered and brutalized millions of human beings had any compulsion any using it. I do believe those who saw it as worsening their situation hesitated from even suggesting it to him.
DJ

DJ,
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of Herr Hitler's feelings on the use of gas. Don't underestimate the fact that he served in the trenches in WWI. Even if he was never gassed, he undoubtedly knew soldiers who were. That experience could have had an influence on his decision to refrain from opening that bag of worms again. Additionally, many of his senior staff officers must have had similar experiences. Same goes for the Allied leadership. I'm more surprised that the Russians and the Japanese didn't use gas. Stalin doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would give darn if his own troops were gassed as long as a bunch of Germans died too. And the Japanese had no seminal event i. e. WWI to instill a culture of fear about gas in their military. Not my area of expertise, just some general observations about people and organizations.
v/r,
Cob
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 07:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

DJ

DJ,
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of Herr Hitler's feelings on the use of gas. Don't underestimate the fact that he served in the trenches in WWI. Even if he was never gassed, he undoubtedly knew soldiers who were. That experience could have had an influence on his decision to refrain from opening that bag of worms again. Additionally, many of his senior staff officers must have had similar experiences. Same goes for the Allied leadership. I'm more surprised that the Russians and the Japanese didn't use gas. Stalin doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would give darn if his own troops were gassed as long as a bunch of Germans died too. And the Japanese had no seminal event i. e. WWI to instill a culture of fear about gas in their military. Not my area of expertise, just some general observations about people and organizations.
v/r,
Cob

COB--I can not debate what influence the WW I experience exerted upon Hitler and the Germany military. They had a very active chemical warfare program center in Munster. They buried some much of that junk in the training areas that to this day there are miles of the place totally off limits to travel. So, they along with every other combatant Nation had some pretty potent stuff. I am reading Anthony Beevor's magnificent book "Battle for Berlin." This book makes it clear that Hitler sees the loss of the war as the literal end of the world. If correct, why doesn't he use the gas? As you so correct note Stalin and Hitler were not known for their sentimentality. Mystery to me. Yet, I find it very difficult to accept he did not employ it because of his WW I experiences.
DJ
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 10:26 PM UTC

DJ,

The thing that is a mystery to me is why not use chemicals in the last gasp when Berlin was being attacked. Certainly, hitler knew he was a dead man. Maybe it would have bought him a few days.

I mean, they had 14 year olds with panzerfaust. Why not try to gas the Russians?

Could this have something to do with the fact that there were no chemical weapons available at the time or no way to deploy them.

Maybe someone can speak to this.

Steve

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 11:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ,

The thing that is a mystery to me is why not use chemicals in the last gasp when Berlin was being attacked. Certainly, hitler knew he was a dead man. Maybe it would have bought him a few days.

I mean, they had 14 year olds with panzerfaust. Why not try to gas the Russians?

Could this have something to do with the fact that there were no chemical weapons available at the time or no way to deploy them.

Maybe someone can speak to this.

Steve

Steve--I can only re state what I said in my earlier response. Namely, the Germans at this "end of the world" phase of the war were logistically and tactically incapable of employing chemical weapons. I think also that "letting the genie" out of the bottle was an unwritten no-no among the warring powers. Combatant that you so correctly identify as having few qualms about doing some nasty things.
DJ
Ps--are you in the City (Canal Street)?
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 12:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve--I can only re state what I said in my earlier response. Namely, the Germans at this "end of the world" phase of the war were logistically and tactically incapable of employing chemical weapons. I think also that "letting the genie" out of the bottle was an unwritten no-no among the warring powers. Combatant that you so correctly identify as having few qualms about doing some nasty things.
DJ

DJ,

I asked this question of a very well respected history professor. He seemed to laugh it off and give the 'gentlemans agreement' answer.

Maybe as savage as things got, there still were some 'laws of warefare' in place.

Now, I might be very simplistic but it's hard to understand how savage the Nazis could be when it came to something like the Final Solution, yet feel that chemical weapons were a no-no. Certainly not at the start of the conflict when they were doing well, but at the bitter end when it was scorched earth and a 'let's bring them down with us' attitude.

I would think the logistic and tactical reasons are valid here. Maybe I'm completely wrong...

Steve

PS - No, I live upstate now. I try to spend as much time in the city as possible. It's changed a lot in the last 10 years. I love the Lower East Side, Little Italy, China Town area. Always something going on.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 12:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

DJ

DJ,

I asked this question of a very well respected history professor. He seemed to laugh it off and give the 'gentlemans agreement' answer.

Maybe as savage as things got, there still were some 'laws of warefare' in place.

Now, I might be very simplistic but it's hard to understand how savage the Nazis could be when it came to something like the Final Solution, yet feel that chemical weapons were a no-no. Certainly not at the start of the conflict when they were doing well, but at the bitter end when it was scorched earth and a 'let's bring them down with us' attitude.

I would think the logistic and tactical reasons are valid here. Maybe I'm completely wrong...

Steve

PS - No, I live upstate now. I try to spend as much time in the city as possible. It's changed a lot in the last 10 years. I love the Lower East Side, Little Italy, China Town area. Always something going on.

Steve--born and bred in Queens. Still root for my Giants. I am also perplexed by the lack of chemical weapons employment in the Second World War. As I recall, there was some limited use by the Japanese in China. However, in Germany you have a regime that has no scruples when it comes to destruction. Match them against the Stalin regime and you would have to chose the lesser of two evils. Taking human life is second nature to these guys. If all that is accurate them why don't they use the chemical weapons? I find it too simplistic to say "because of Hitler's experiences in WW I." I just can not buy it.
DJ
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Still root for my Giants.

DJ

Giants!! Well, I can't make fun of you too much, for some reason I'm a Bengals fan!

Don't know about you, but I'm really looking forward to this football season. Not sure why. Maybe just for the diversion... We'll see what happens Sunday.

I wish someone could chime in on our chemical discussion. It's something I've wondered about for a long time and have never found too much info about it.

Steve
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 02:45 AM UTC
Steve--you are right. It would be nice to have a chemistry pro explain the rationale here. I once again believe there was a very practical reason why the German did not revert to chemical weapons.
DJ

Ps--groan....next Giant challenger is the St Louis Rams
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 03:19 AM UTC
I think we have determined that all the major powers had access to large amounts of gas. We have to question what good would come of using gas? Both sides would use it, so you have to think similar casualties on either side, even if the Germans struck first. I don't see gas as being quite as powerful as an atom bomb. I don't think you could snatch victory from immanent defeat by using it. Of course, if it was like an atom bomb, since all the powers involved had it, it would be like the Mutually Assured Destruction of the Cold War. As controversial as that is, there was no nuclear war.

Nic
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 09:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think we have determined that all the major powers had access to large amounts of gas. We have to question what good would come of using gas? Both sides would use it, so you have to think similar casualties on either side, even if the Germans struck first. I don't see gas as being quite as powerful as an atom bomb. I don't think you could snatch victory from immanent defeat by using it. Of course, if it was like an atom bomb, since all the powers involved had it, it would be like the Mutually Assured Destruction of the Cold War. As controversial as that is, there was no nuclear war.

Nic

Nic--I think you have close as anyone to satisfying my inquiry. The warring powers were willing to use it in retaliation, but saw little strategic or tactical value to using it first. Makes sense to me.
thanks
DJ
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 02:41 AM UTC
Did anyone besides Germany have nerve gas though? Mustard, Phosgene and Chlorine are nasty things, but the combatants from the First World War had experience with them and knew how to operate in a contaminated environment. This stuff kills on contact with the droplets.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 04:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did anyone besides Germany have nerve gas though? Mustard, Phosgene and Chlorine are nasty things, but the combatants from the First World War had experience with them and knew how to operate in a contaminated environment. This stuff kills on contact with the droplets.

Blue--I seriously doubt that any of the participants with the exception of France and Italy have anything but a full complement of chemical weapons in super abundance.
DJ
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 08:00 AM UTC
From what I've read, nerve gas was a German invention
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 11:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From what I've read, nerve gas was a German invention

Blue--you got me there. Bugs and gas are not my home turf. I do recall that the German chemical experimentationn area was a location just outside Munster. Today, this training area has miles of no maneuver zones. No one has any idea what they buried out there and no one wants to find out. Surprising, since this comes from the book keeping Germnas. I hear the Russians have tons of the junk and have neither the inclination nor desire to figure out what they buried and burnt over the years.
DJ
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 02:51 PM UTC
I think a few folks here have already put most of the nails in this coffin. Would this be an accurate summary;

*Most, if not all, major powers had some type of gas agents available.
*All, at least on the surface, appear to see its use only as a retalitory weapon.
*The use of gas entails a logistic tail that makes its use a tremendous burden that may be in the long run simply not worth it.
*When the tide had well and truly turned against Germany they were, or would have been, logistically unable to employ gas in even a marginally effective manner.

Some other thoughts that I had; with no particular reference to back me up, just me rambling, Germany, and specifically Hitler, held out an unreasonable hope in "wonder weapons" that would miraculously turn the tide. We all know examples of these weapons, with that in mind wouldn't Germany have been more likely to refrain from employing gas awaiting the miracle cure that would stop the red horde without the worry of Russian gas retaliation? Remember, another hairbrained German idea was that the Western Allies would see the error of their ways and come to the aid of Germany against communist Russia. This would also seem to put a halt to any thought of using gas, after all they were in their minds now waging at least a limited PR campaign in hoping for an 11th hour reprieve from the West.

Rick Cooper
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 08:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think a few folks here have already put most of the nails in this coffin. Would this be an accurate summary;

*Most, if not all, major powers had some type of gas agents available.
*All, at least on the surface, appear to see its use only as a retalitory weapon.
*The use of gas entails a logistic tail that makes its use a tremendous burden that may be in the long run simply not worth it.
*When the tide had well and truly turned against Germany they were, or would have been, logistically unable to employ gas in even a marginally effective manner.

Some other thoughts that I had; with no particular reference to back me up, just me rambling, Germany, and specifically Hitler, held out an unreasonable hope in "wonder weapons" that would miraculously turn the tide. We all know examples of these weapons, with that in mind wouldn't Germany have been more likely to refrain from employing gas awaiting the miracle cure that would stop the red horde without the worry of Russian gas retaliation? Remember, another hairbrained German idea was that the Western Allies would see the error of their ways and come to the aid of Germany against communist Russia. This would also seem to put a halt to any thought of using gas, after all they were in their minds now waging at least a limited PR campaign in hoping for an 11th hour reprieve from the West.

Rick Cooper

Rick--nice summary of the discussion. I believe you covered all the main points. While never considering the psychological impact of the "wonder weapons," I believe you come closer to answering my question on the non-use of gas by the Germans. How do you retaliate against a V-2? The Patriot missile system and National Missile Defense are still trying to hit a SCUD which is essentially a WW II V-2.....nice point.
DJ