_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
PAINTING WITHOUT BRUSHSTROKE MARKS
SOSKOVICH
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 03:18 PM UTC
Is there anyway that I can avoid the appearance of brush strokes when painting a model? Are there any kinds of brushes that are particularly good for a smooth paint job? When painting my Tamiya Sherman Tank model, I keep getting brush strokes along with glue smudges. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 03:45 PM UTC
simple answer, THIN!! especialy with tam paints as they dry fast, thin them with htere special line of thinner, not alcohol! if you want the best results

and make sure ur brushes are clean

and when painting large area, an ab is always handy

Frank
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 254 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 04:06 PM UTC
thin them even more?! Tamiya paints are already thin i always feel like i have to rebrush the same area for them not to be semi see through.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 04:10 PM UTC
As all have said thin your paints and use GOOD soft brushs I just posted these pic of I Willis MB Jeep I did and with the exception of the dullcoat it is all brush painted ...

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/42484&page=1

Dave
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 04:18 PM UTC

There is an article in FSM that deals with the proper menthod of brush painting that would eliminate brush stroke marks...the title is "Basics of Brush Painting" you can download the file here...

Basics of Brush Painting

Hope this helps

Cheers
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 04:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

thin them even more?! Tamiya paints are already thin i always feel like i have to rebrush the same area for them not to be semi see through.

true, but not true, i have a bottle of xf-15 and it feels liek water!!! mayeb its not mixed properly also... but anyhow, for the rest, when painting figures, if i dont thin them down a little, its to thick

Frank
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 05:08 PM UTC
All of my armor and ship models are hand painted with a brush. This is the method I prefer. I know that the Tamiya acrylics are popular, but I have found that enamel paints are best for brushing. I use Model Masters enamels, I have for years with great results. I hear that WEMS color coat enamels are good to. I thin with regular thinner for enamels untill my paint is just a little thicker then milk. As far as brushes go, most use good quality soft brushes. Myself, I use the cheap testers brushes, the ones with the white plastic handle. I have two of these brushes that I have been useing for 5 or 6 years now, and there still going strong! The main thing is to be consistant. Lay down even and strait brush strokes. Keeping your brush wet and not tacky. most of the time you will have to go back and touch up, just make sure your first coat is dry first. And practise! Good brushed on paint jobs are hard to tell from an airbrushed job.

HTH,

Garry
 _GOTOTOP