History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
History of surface to air missles
gosmsgo
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 30 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 04:57 AM UTC
What would the United States been using for a surface to air missle during 1980?

Everyone knows about the russian SAM but I cannot seem to find any information about the American version.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 07:29 PM UTC
HAWK?

Patriot

Stinger

Splinty2001
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 84 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2005 - 06:38 AM UTC
Hey my first job in the Army was as a HAWK radar operator and I know a little about this subject as I was stationed in Germany at the time. The major U.S. and NATO ADA systems in use in 1980 were Nike-Hercules for long range medium to high altitude targets, Improved HAWK (Homing All the Way Killer), for medium range low to high altitude targets, and Chapparal for short ranged low altitude targets. The Chapparal was basically a quad-mounted, ground based version of the well known Sidewinder IR air to air missle. Other well-known U.S. ADA systems at the time included the 20mm Vulcan cannon and the predecessor to the Stinger; the Redeye, which were used for frontline and local air defense. The Patriot and the Stinger were known to us as replacement systems which were coming on-line but hadn't been deployed yet as of 1983 when I got out.( the first time I got out that is...)