_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Kubinka Tank Museum
Occam
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 01:45 PM UTC
I found the link to the tank museum in Kubinka in the links section, and it sure looks like a great museum. They don't seem to want visitors that much, which seems pretty strange:

Access to Military-historical Sites is necessary for all foreign and Russian visitors.

Foreigners should note that the state special authority permission is required in 2-3 weeks before visit.

They particulary don't seem to like us:

The Russian military officials DO NOT LIKE the model makers (the regular violators of the museum rules)

Russian tank museum rules let make the USUAL NON-PROFESSIONAL photo- or VIDEO camera with YOU and the VEHICLE as the background ONLY.

Camera is qualified as PROFESSIONAL with any glass (non-plastic) lens more that 10 mm diameter. Send us the model and photo of your camera to check one [email protected]

Usage the non-authorized or non-specializing travel agency for the tank museum tour could be the reason why you can not visit the military museum

Any attempt to HIDE your model maker photo- (video-) aim could be the reason of your withdraw from your current and other military museums

Less than 10mm lens on a camera, that seems really small! Reading all this makes not want to visit the museum.

Have anyone here been there? How is it? Do they charge extra for breathing, looking, etc?

Oh, yes, and happy new year everyone!
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 05:02 PM UTC
Unfortunatly I haven't been there but I've heard it's one of the biggest military museums - they have a lot of unique vehicles as well as prototypes not seen anywhere else.

The rules are a bit harsh, but I think that's understandable. First, the rules aren't that bad for Russian citizens - though I can't see that foreign visitors would film old military equipment in order to have it reverse engineered by other countries. Second - there is a proving ground in Kubinka where they test modern vehicles and hold annual expositions. Third - I've been to Aberdeen Proving Grounds in US and they don't allow you to photograph the gate - seems strange, but these are the rules...

With all that said, I agree with you completely. With all those rare tanks you would think it's a great place for modelers, but you actually have to pay the museum photographers to get walkarounds of specific vehicles.

steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 11:45 PM UTC
sounds like one long list of predjudice to me
i had planned a trip next year bit now its cancelled
i'll go somewhere else not a nice bunch !
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,998 Posts
KitMaker Network: 257 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 12:16 AM UTC
Now wasnt Kabblinka originally a military base used by the russians to test captured equipment this may expalin the reasons behind the strict rules.

keith forsyth
steeldog51
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 09:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now wasnt Kabblinka originally a military base used by the russians to test captured equipment this may expalin the reasons behind the strict rules.

keith forsyth

could be mate !? but that list seems to be not just anti foreigner but mainly anti modeller
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

they don't allow you to photograph the gate - seems strange, but these are the rules...

If you have a photo, then it is easier to plan how to get around security. Same with security in an airport........ Makes sense.

Patrick
steeldog51
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 10:06 AM UTC
yeah true but it kind of just makes it pointless going to !
unless you happen to have a really good memory :-)
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 03:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

- I've been to Aberdeen Proving Grounds in US and they don't allow you to photograph the gate - seems strange, but these are the rules...

Welcome to the Post 9/11 world on a military base.......... I was there..... and had a few strage looks while Photographing the "Mile" on the way to the museum from the gate.......
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 01:44 AM UTC
There could be other reasons, like Keith said, even we have places like that in the US. Down in Oklahoma I was going in to load bombs, and before you go in they hand you a few sheets of paper to read, of all the things you cannot have with you.

Cameras was number 1 on the list, no open lighters, or matches, firearms, emergency flares, and the list went on, well I had taken out my cigarettes, and lighters and give to the guard first thing, and said I was ready to go in.

Then one of the guards said do you mind if I search your truck, and I said knock yourself out, I got nothing to hide, well first thing right by my shifter he picked up my big pack with a strap on it, and he said, I'm in a lot of trouble. Then I said what for, he said for bringing in a camera. I started to laugh, and said if you can show me how to take pictures with a phone, then we both are in trouble.

See back then that was when cell phones first came out, and they had a big battery pack, and you needed almost a back pack to carry it. Now that thing they give me said nothing about phones, so after I showed him it was a phone, he finally decided not to shoot me.

Then he was so embarrassed, he didn't want to inspect my truck no more. Now this was one of our own storage bases.

So they might have other stuff close by that they don't want you to get near, that still might be used, and not museum pieces.
Kerry
Kar98K
entire network: 126 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 03:51 PM UTC
I think it is the biggest tank muesum in the world. But the website sucks. They show you the rows of tanks but only have a few pictures of a few tanks. The pictures are crap too. The have the only maus, and you can see where the fired at it and some other cool stuff.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 09:07 PM UTC
If you don't want to go to Kubinka (quite understandable...), go to http://www.jagdtiger.de/index2.htm instead! The site has some good photos from Kubinka.
Be quick though, the folks at the museum might start to harass the owners of jadgtiger for sharing pics from their precious museum. Their message seems to be "we have a museum packed with rare and interesting vehicles. Does it sound too good to be true? Yes, yes it does. Because we don't like you! Don't come. we don't want your dollars!"
Quite strange, I think.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 11:56 PM UTC
i think that the only T35 in one piece that is alive is there also !!!!someone must go and get 1000000 pictures !!!!! LOL
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 12:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i think that the only T35 in one piece that is alive is there also !!!!someone must go and get 1000000 pictures !!!!! LOL

It is indeed. While you're there, you could open all the hatches and see if we were right about the location of the fuel tank fillers. :-)
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,745 Posts
KitMaker Network: 221 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 05:29 AM UTC
I'm sure if you bring a couple bucks with you and some other hard to get stuff to barter with you can get around these rules

_GOTOTOP