_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Grab handler worth the $$$?
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 04:10 AM UTC
This tool sure looks like it would be useful, but it just seems a little steep ($55). If anyone here has tried it please let me know if you think it is worth it. I searched this thread back to August and didn't see anything posted so I thought I would ask. I was looking in micromark and can get a complete set of wire bending pliers for $20 less that can do much more. Thanks for your time.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 04:22 AM UTC
I don't personally have one but a lot of members of my model club have it. They swear by it. It's not just the bending but it's the fact that so many sizes and shapes are available so that you can bend practically everything. $55 is a lot but it's one of those tools you won't understand how you could have gone so long without it. That is, according to my club members, not from me personally
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 04:29 AM UTC
I picked one of these up a few months back and have been very pleased with it. It is a little expensive, but it does make bending grab handles a whole lot easier, and much more accurate and crisp. I have been very happy with my purchase.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 04:29 AM UTC
Personally I don't think the tool warrents a $55 price tag - yikees.
Here is the tool in question
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=83139
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 04:57 AM UTC
Well, it looks like I may have to pay more than I should for a good tool. I hate to do it but have had a feeling I would be happy with it in the long run, even if my back side is sore for a couple weeks after I buy it.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 06:22 AM UTC
This subject came up on ML last night also, here is what I wrote over there.
Let me start by saying I know there are people who will say that "no, it's not worth it" but I'm not one of them. I think of it this way...instead of spending the money on another kit to put on the pile, I used it to buy a tool which for me has been very helpful, and timesaving. The Grabhandler is very well made and can be used to bend even thicker brass rod. The best part is you get the size grabhandle you need EVERY time. As an example last spring when I got mine I needed to replace about 20 grabhandles on the kit I was working on. The first 10 or so I did before I had the "gadget" and I ended up actually making about double that using needle nose pliers to get the right sizes. When using the Grabhandler to finish the job I only made the amount I needed, and it was done in less than half the time than before. So, if you're really good at making them yourself you might want to spend your money elsewhere, if not...it can save you lots of time (and wire/rod )

HTH,
Mike

steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hey drewgimpy
its a lot of money i agree bu if like me you are a hopless model armour addict then get one , i use it every day practically and i'm happy with it i was so sick of making say 12 grab handles and them all being slightly different sizes ! :-) yes folks i'm ham fisted! :-)
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 4,342 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 10:17 AM UTC
Remember that there is my review of Grabhandler here on Armorama: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/411

Pawel
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 11:33 AM UTC
Why spend that kind of money on one tool, when with a few supplies and 1/4 the money, some work and elbow grease, you can have the 3 most popular tools that modelers want!!!

Check this link out. From right here on Armorama, by: Pierre Piveteau, you can have a PE bender, punch set and a handle maker for a fraction of the cost of just the Grabhandler.

Follow the directions, I am sure you can pump out identicle handles just as easily, and save the rest of the money to buy more kits!!!!

Folder Board
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 11:56 AM UTC
Frankly I think it's price gouging and WAY to high! I use wire benders that jewelry maker use and they work great and I can buy 10 pair for what they want for one Grab Handler tool.
$55 for a little piece of pre-shaped metal ... outrageous!

Here is some flat pliers on eBay for a $8 BIN not my auction and do not know the seller. These are lke the ones I use and I have no problems with them for making grab handles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4955030712&category=34085

Later
Dave
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 12:24 PM UTC
I paid $43.00 for mine when it first came out. Is that expensive? Sure it is. I look at it as an investment though. I've tried different methods for making grab handles over the years and have had mixed results. The thing that always frustrated me the most was the fact that I never got all of my handles to be uniform in size. Out of 10 handles made with other tools and techniques, I would end up with 6 or 7 that were somewhat uniform in size and the other 3 I typically couldn't use for one reason or another. So, I ended up making more until I had 10 that were uniform in size.

With the grab handler, I get a consistent, uniform bend every time. To me, that is worth the expense. Now that I have one, there is no way that I would give it back.

Everyone has a different idea of what is worth it and what isn't. A person just has to decide what works for them.
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 12:28 PM UTC
Brent spot on mate !
thats my philosophy
sound like you had the same trouble as me
worth every last penny to me !
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 02:18 PM UTC
I'm not skilled enough to make grabhandles with pliers. The Grabhandeler was a wise investment for me. I'd recommend it.
Chuck
armormike
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 106 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 02:42 AM UTC
I spent several hundred on the AA Oshkosh kit and then I had to make 4 grab handles the same. It was by far worth the $55 to have those grabs all be the same size. Why worry about the cost of a tool that will last a lifetime when so many easily drop that on the latest Tamiya kit.
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 08:12 AM UTC
I think the idea to make the 3 in one tool (folder board) is the soundest for me, but my biggest problem is not with making the things so much as with keeping hold of them, I must have 50 handles,buckles, & other odds and ends on the floor
I guess thats how you get good at making them :-)

Bruce
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 06:43 AM UTC
I use this set.... If you do alot of Wire bending it's the way to go Metal Forming Pliers
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use this set.... If you do alot of Wire bending it's the way to go Metal Forming Pliers

That is what I use Matt, works great for PE parts and grab handles to number a couple, but does so much more. The cost is far less than one tool that does one thing. The ones I have are from Euro Tools the flats come with brass faced jaws so you do don't scar parts or other soft metals.

Dave
 _GOTOTOP