_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
railroad tracks help
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 07:45 PM UTC
Hello fellas,

i'm looking for 1/35 railroad be it straight or curve. I just have an idea of my future dio.
Can someone tell me where i can find cheap rail tracks.. i manage to find one in resin at greatmodels. Unfortunately they're out of stock and to make matter worst the shipping cost was something i cant afford. I have read somewhere that a company name MPM or RPM do make plastic rail but i cant find them.
or perhap an idea on how to scratchbuild them.
Help and infos are welcome.

Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 07:49 PM UTC
I wouldnt think they would be hard to scratchbuild. They are pretty much I-beams on railroad ties. You could by some large I-beams from Evergreen and use real wood for the ties. You could even use very small nails so simulate railroad spikes for the track to tie area. Just an idea though. I would be glad to help anyway i can just let me know.

Herky
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 08:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wouldnt think they would be hard to scratchbuild. They are pretty much I-beams on railroad ties. You could by some large I-beams from Evergreen and use real wood for the ties. You could even use very small nails so simulate railroad spikes for the track to tie area. Just an idea though. I would be glad to help anyway i can just let me know.

Herky

Jeremy, thanks for your info. I would be glad to scratchbuild them.
The only problem is the lack of materials. I live in Malaysia and there is no chance for me to obtain any plastic materials locally. That's indeend the real problem for most of us in some part of the world. That's why i envy u all......

TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 09:21 AM UTC
Silantra,

Check out Jadar Hobbies ( http://www.jadarhobby.home.pl/ ). They carry a company called "5 Star" that makes 1/35th Armored Trains.....I'm thinking you may be able to order just the track system....it's 36cm in length for each piece.

Hope this'll help.

Mike
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 09:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Silantra,

Check out Jadar Hobbies ( http://www.jadarhobby.home.pl/ ). They carry a company called "5 Star" that makes 1/35th Armored Trains.....I'm thinking you may be able to order just the track system....it's 36cm in length for each piece.

Hope this'll help.

Mike

Hello Mike,

the one that u mentioned is too expensive for me. I have contacted the people at jadar and they cannot sell the track without the vehicles.
thanks anyway
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 09:52 PM UTC
I have recently made some tracks with some evergreen I- beam, balsawood and catlitter.

If you cant get I-beam, you can make it yourself, either with plasticstrips or out of very thin plywood (the one used for RC aircraft)

Its fiddly, but i should work.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 10:11 AM UTC
They are hard to scratchbuild! The rails are not I-beams. You can see the many various profiles from web info. The rail top and bottom are not symmetric. They have both different widths and different thicknesses. I had to attach strips of plastic to a basic "I"-beam shape, then scrape the corners to give the rounded edges the profile calls for. Then, I made the ties. Remember, in many places they were creosoted, so they age a different color than most wood.

I had to scratchbuild the tie-downs, no fun, as they are not flat, but stepped to touch the tie and go over the bottom flange of the rail. Then, I drilled every spike hole through the tie downs and the ties. Then, I got a special plier to hold and start the insertion of every spike before pushing them home. Yes, spikes, with the head to one side to clamp the rail bottom lip.

Then I realizied that I made a mirror image of the straight piece and curved piece I needed.

Oh yes, don't forget the different guages or track in everyplace at different times. I would have blown my cork trying to make the manual switch gear, but first I realized I didn't have accurate information as to what they looked like in the locale I was modeling. Then, I realized my (Kelley's Heroes) tank was going to cover the place where the switch would be anyway. Phew!

Sealhead

"Oh, I'm not working on the railroad, all the live long day..."
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 10:17 AM UTC
Here is another option- ebay. Dragon Railway Tracks. They are excellent
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2589&item=5946404434&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 10:57 AM UTC
I scratch built a set for my Dictator dio (in my gallery)...
I used plastruct I beams over bass wood ties. I used bent wire for the spikes. Mine was in the Civil war so all I needed were spikes, more modern ones had plates and spikes. A bit of foil or sytrene might just do it.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 11:04 PM UTC
if you can find either gunze/dragon/revell armoured train setsthen you get a peice if track and balast as part of the kit the can also be linked togther if you need to make a bigger section I found some of the revell re-boxes for £2.50 in a clearance shop so they are pretty easy to find

Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2005 - 12:30 PM UTC
Good day fellas..
i get lot of replies here...thanks guys

MrMox and Sealhead, the idea of scractbuilding them was mouthwatering...hehehe.. but like u said it i need plenty of funny plastic stock (the I H beam) etc..etc which were not available locally...

boohsammer, the ebay stuff is only on sale to the US only... if it's for international sale, it's still too expensive

anyway thanks...

i will figure it out soon...........

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 11:49 AM UTC
The kit that Boosahmer has mentioned above, is in stock at great models webstore for $12.35.
They will ship anywhere!

Great Models webstore
Click on "search" on the left hand column and type in "dragon 3825" in "Keyword(s)" box.
If postage isnt too bad, you probably wont scratch it cheaper!
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
entire network: 424 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 03:09 AM UTC
The cheapest track sections I've been able to locate are those from RPM. They're in 1/35 scale, but I can't vouch for them in any shape or form regarding their accuracy or quality.

It seems that it's a vac-form base with injection track / ties. You can get them in straight or curve.

Hope this helps,
Mika
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 12:14 PM UTC
good day fellas..

thanks for the input so far..

I agree with plasticbattle....to scratbuild are surely costly taking the fact that I'm living in a country that cannot be considered as modeller heaven...

before I write this thread, I did search in the net and managed to find 2 kit..
the first one is a resin..made by Tank Workshop

and the second one is the one mentioned by Mika from RPM.

they're both available at greatmodels...

however when I place the order, the first option was out of stock..nevertheless the shipping for this rail was USD11 which make it expensive ..it more than the price of a decent kit..

then I go for the second choice...I tried at jadar models first and they provide fast answer ... this time the shipping is USD 7...still 60% more than the kit price...I then ask the people at jadar will it be possible for them to take out the kit and ship it in a flat envelope (to cut the cost)..Unfortunately they answer me with the same answer which is "USD 7"

then I turn to greatmodels but they don't have the stock at that particular moment and ask me to wait until they got the stock... I did ask the possibility to ship it in a flat envelope but up till now I haven't heard any news from them...

this is my story so far.......

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 01:21 PM UTC
Ok - if I had no plastic stock available to me and I needed RR tracks - here is what I would do

I would first divide my RR run so that there would be at least one joint in it. That will make the individual sections (4 minimum) easier to work with. I would fins some square/rectangluar stock (wood or plastic) and cut it to length. Then work on its cross section. I would taper the top a bit so the top was narrower than the base. Then I would use the back of a hobby knife and slowly scape away an I beam shape leaving the top and bottom flange.
If wood is the only option I would sand it as smooth as possible and then paint it. If after sanding it is still a bit rough I would add a very thin layer of putty and then re-sand and paint.
Things I would look for are:
coffee stiring strips, the flanges on the plastic blister packs of toys. Doll house molding...
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 04:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok - if I had no plastic stock available to me and I needed RR tracks - here is what I would do

I would first divide my RR run so that there would be at least one joint in it. That will make the individual sections (4 minimum) easier to work with. I would fins some square/rectangluar stock (wood or plastic) and cut it to length. Then work on its cross section. I would taper the top a bit so the top was narrower than the base. Then I would use the back of a hobby knife and slowly scape away an I beam shape leaving the top and bottom flange.
If wood is the only option I would sand it as smooth as possible and then paint it. If after sanding it is still a bit rough I would add a very thin layer of putty and then re-sand and paint.
Things I would look for are:
coffee stiring strips, the flanges on the plastic blister packs of toys. Doll house molding...

slodder,

good idea and tips...

what's is the measurement of 1/35 RR i(in metric if u please..) thanks
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 05:03 PM UTC
Here is a link,

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/o.php

http://www.tttrains.com/links/mannet.htm

You need to realize that track comes in different codes, ie sizes, dependening on the use. so depending on where your using it almost any size could be correct. O or G scale wouls be about right.
koschrei
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 147 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 05:22 AM UTC
Guys - check out a model railroad store that carries
"O Guage." Caboose Hobbies in Denver, Colorado comes to mind (and they have a web site). They should should be to help you with lengths of rail in the right profile, spikes, tie plates, stripwood for ties and other bits. Although the scale is 1/48, most model railroad parts in O-Guage are made hefty and can be used in 1/35. Best part - real metal rails and wood ties.

Konrad
 _GOTOTOP