_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Community Plea for Disaster Relief
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 09:52 AM UTC
I know this is not modeling related but wanted this topic to be seen by the most members...

In case any of you have been living under a rock these past few days (or a modeling lamp), there are reports from Asia that potentially many more than 50,000 people have died in the recent earthquake and tsunami's there.

I hope we will all think seriously about donating time, relief items, or money to helping them recover from this and avoid more death.

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies is probably one of the best routes for monetary donations. Their web site is running a bit slow but is at: http://www.ifrc.org/helpnow/donate/donate_response.asp

Thanks,
Jim
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 11:04 AM UTC
Thanks for the link Jim. I will get the word out to our neighbor hood.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 11:29 AM UTC
We did a collection at work,we have a few people here,with relatives in the general area.Any amount helps.it looks like it will be very expensive to set straight.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 05:50 PM UTC
Thanks Jim , i have forwarded that already to all my adress book and set a pocket here at office to send some money .
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 06:53 PM UTC
Thanks Jim. This morning I see some offical reports and the situation is really worse than we watch on the TV news...it is so sad to hear that the loss will be over 100.000 and at least 40% of it will be the children. This is announced as the loss of a generation in southeast Asia.
The red crescent office in the province i live is working hard and i am glad to see the people are so generous to help.

Quoted Text

I know this is not modeling related but wanted this topic to be seen by the most members...

....what you wrote here and the black logo is Armorama difference. Thanks for being so sensetive.
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 07:12 PM UTC
That is a very cool thing you did with the Logo Jim. I personally get to help first hand. Being stationed here in the Pacific Brim we are getting ready for some massive airlift support. Kind of odd to see a plane used for sneaking around and dropping Spec-Ops guys use our combat specialties to help those in need. Our crews train extensively on landing on dirt strips and unapproved runways. We should be able to be a great deal of help over there distibuting much needed aid and Supplies. A bunch of us are leaving very soon. Feels good to be able to actually help, even if only a small way.

Herky
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 2,394 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 10:22 PM UTC
My prayers go out to everyone in that area of the world. This has been the biggest tragedy to happen in my life time. I think what you did here Jim is great! Thank you, Kevin
SlapHead
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 291 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 03:56 AM UTC
Well done !!....The RED CROSS needs us all now (or any of the other assistance groups)...ALL of us can help....and we should.....my feelings go to all those effected....

AJ

StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 04:11 AM UTC
Not modeling related, but an event of such staggering sadness that it must be acknowledged by all.

I cleared out my Greatmodels shopping cart this morning and used the money to donate to Red Cross disaster relief fund. What are a few more models to me?

Sure, not much but if everyone gave a dollar imagine how much money we could give!

Stuke
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 298 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 06:52 AM UTC
Cheers Jim,

I work in the Royal Netherlands Air Force, and we've allready started up a kind of a program. We asked all of our collegues to see if they have clothes, shoes, blankets and all other important goods to spare, so we can send them over!!
In a few days there might be some official help from our gouvernement, to lend a hand...how small it may be, with a dissaster so big!

My thoughts are with the victims....John.
 _GOTOTOP