_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
primer not dry?
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 05:11 PM UTC
ok i started my 1/16 pershing today, got through the first step, and sprayed a layer of model masters dark grey primer on the thing, well its now 5 or so hours later, and the primer is still tacky to the touch. i can squeeze and leave fingerprints in it, and its a little sticky. is this normal? it does not seem dry to me. and i dont know what to do with it.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 05:21 PM UTC
Depends on temperture, humidity, how thick you put it on, etc etc. but I would think from what I've seen it should have been dry by now.

Dave
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 05:24 PM UTC
it could be the temp. im in colorado so moisture around this time of the year is at a big fat 0, Its colder downstairs, maybe ill move it up into the office for a little while and see what happens. i put it on pretty thin. ill try the upstairs rout
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 05:28 PM UTC
What kind of primer did you use, also i see that your from Colorado so hows the weather, why i'm asking is, humidity plays a big part in drying paint. The higher the humidity the longer the paint will take to dry. Try placing it under a lamp for a few hours or use a blow dryer on a low setting about 8-12 inches from your model. I think that if you use at a high setting you may end up worping or melt your model.
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 05:39 PM UTC
as of about fifteen min ago, it was -8* outside, humidity is non existent. lol cold cold night
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 05:55 PM UTC
Also keep in mind the temp. is a large factor in dry times. Leave it over nite and see what happens.
It has to dry...sooner or later!
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 06:06 PM UTC
will do. not much else i can do on the thing untill the lower hull is dry. i guess i can start the wheels, gonna be the same type of thing with the primer.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 06:11 PM UTC
hmm i think that 5 hours is too much whatever the condition is . But since u think is not dry ,please dont touch, Any possible handling will leave fingerprints so ..take some time off , cut and sand other parts and give it a whole day .
If primer coats is normally thin usually it doesnt take more than 2 hours for full cure...
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 05:51 PM UTC
well, its dry. took a little longer, placed it in the heater closet. it dried hanging up, i handled only the inner hull, and no figerprints showed as i placed my basecoat on it. the wheels dried pretty fast. i think it was becasue it was cold where i was sparaying.

_GOTOTOP