_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Luckymodel.com
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 12:25 PM UTC
Hi guys

I was just over at Luckymodel.com. The prices are outstanding, and I heard the service is reaaly good. I've never ordered from a Hong Kong based e-shop before, and was wondering what the shipping and handling cost were like. I know that its a pretty hard question to answer. What I'm looking for is just a general idea.
Thanks in advance
Harry
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 01:03 PM UTC
I just checked out their site and if you look at what you want it gives you an est shipping cost and to me it seems really high. Example to ship 1/32 F-14A TOMCAT BLACK KNIGHTS for $93.99 the shipping cost is $36.44 (for Reg shipping and about $60 for speedy shipping) so after there shipping fees for final price of $130.43 So you'd be much better off to buy it here in the states. Shipping from Hong Kong is not that much, not nearly the rate they are charging. WHY DO YOU THINK THEIR PRICES ARE GOOD? Their tacking it on to the shipping. So in short you'll pay the same amount here in the states and get it much faster.

Just what I think, Dave
Ray28
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 209 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 03:56 PM UTC
Dear Dave,

As many customers from US also state the same feedback. Thinking we "tracking" the price into the shipping. However, if you check the price rate from Hong Kong Post Office, you will know that we have not taking any profit from the shipping charges.

In fact, we know the shipping charges from HK to US is pretty high. According to the response from HK Post Office, HK Post Office would take a higher price rate (profit route) to cover some remote locations such as South America (loss route). Thus making the shipping charges so expensive. And since HK Post Office has a lot of regulation to bound with, they cannot just "cut" the loss route and make the profit route rate cheaper.

We are working with a reputation transport company to target those "big route/destination" such US and Europe to see if better rate is available.

In addition, some customers feedback that our shipping is a bit higher from other e-tailer shop. In fact, we don't know how others shop's rate. But we have a more well protected material to ensure the safety delivery to the customer. So, those extra materials cost weight which may affect the overall weight. (You know the HK Post charge back on the weight break. If you parcel weight 2.01kg, you will be charged for 3kg.)

Thank you very much for your comments

Raymond Chung
LuckyModel.com
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 04:31 PM UTC
Dear Ray,

Thanks you for your reply and while I no doubt that shipping from Hong Kong is not cheap. I am mearly voicing my opinion. I do know from shipping to and from Japan and Australia which is just as far geographicly it is a faction of the cost listed on your website. I respect you comment and defence, however US$40-$60 to ship a single model is high anyway you slice it. I bought a three models from a Hong Kong seller not long ago and spent $11S/H and received the package in 8 days. I feel that if a more ecomonical method of shipping could be found you would see a surge in your US retail base and the member of this site. However, I speak only for myself.

Regards
Dave
Ray28
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 209 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 05:27 PM UTC
Dear Dave,

Thank you very much for your comments and opinion. You mention that you have get some kits from HK seller that charge only $11 for S/H. Is those are small kits like the 1/144 or 1/72 kits ?

Just a "preview" of our price rate from the new transport company where shipping a 1.3kg (small packet- e.g. 1-2 1/72 kits) to US, now from HK Post with registered mail is US$20 (the kit itself cost only $19.99!). We are having a deal which reduce to $12. Do you think it is fair enough (30% cut from now) ?

But we are only working on small packet (
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 07:42 PM UTC
Ray,
Are your current shippers either FedEx or UPS? If so then I fully understand the rates. I wanted to ship something to Europe once. It was a fairly heavy package (books) and if memory serves it was over $100 for FedEx, $80 for UPS and luckily only $28 with the United States Postal Service. Sadly they did loose one of my shipments recently though so there is a higher risk involved with using them. The package just vanished too...no tracking available either.

Nice to see you utilizing Armorama to speak directly to members.

Thanks,
Jim
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 08:17 PM UTC
I have ordered a LOT of stuff from Lucky Model, and have found that even with the shipping costs it still works out a lot cheaper than buying over here in the UK., and I can't imagine that the US is much more expensive? As Raymond says, go for the cheapest option and keep an eye on the weight break.
The new Dragon 3 in 1 kits are selling for £24 over here, from Lucky model they are just over £11, even with shipping there is a big saving to be made there!

Vinnie
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2004 - 01:34 AM UTC
Simple mathematics i'm afraid - I bought the DML M4a2 from LuckyModels last week. Total cost (in EUROS) around 30 €uros.. If I HAD bought it from a store here in Spain (even assuming they had it - which they haven't..) Cost WOULD have been 45 €uros PLUS another 12-15 €uros in postage. Total - around 60 €uros Now i'm not the brightest bulb in the pack when it comes to math, but that seems to work out at a difference of €30....

Guess who's gonna be buying more from HK?

Harry, I really don't see where you are coming from on this one - at all...
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2004 - 02:56 AM UTC
Ray
I think anything that you can do to reduce the cost in shipping would induce more people to buy from your shop. You asked what size models I ordered from HK they were 1/35 kits, complete kits not add-ons or little figures. I do not know what method of shipping you use I just know that for my pocket it seems a little high. Again, my opinion only.

Jim Rea
The kit you speak of can be had at some online shop here in the states for about US$25 (€19). So if you bought it from HK for €30 and it would cost you €60 to get it in Europe then simple mathematics would tell you that getting it in the States is cheaper. Since this is a thread for or about Luckymodels I will not go listing other vendors. That would not be fair.

The point I am trying to make and I think you folks understand it, and I can not speak for the prices in Europe. Is this ... if one can buy a kit locally for the same or a little bit more than ordering it from accross the big pond. The marginal saving is not worth the time and risk. I think anyone who has sent packages accross broarded has as Staff Jim noted lost one or two, depending on the number you send or receive.

But in the end it all come down to the bottom line and those simple mathematics that Jim Rae spoke of, WHAT IS MY FINAL COST AND IS THAT COST WORTH THE WAIT AND THE RISK? For me I have no problem ordering from HK or other countries but the first place I'm going to try and spend my money is at the local Mom & Pop Hobby Shop even if it cost a tiny bit more.

One more FAIR NOTE models shipped to the USA do not have import taxes as they are considered toys whereas I understand that taxes are paid in Europse and other countries. I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong/

Thanks Ray for coming forward and talking to us about you shipping prices, it has changed my veiws of those prices, but to be honest I'm still not going to pay US$40-$60 to ship a model.. And again I feel that any reduction in shipping will increase your business.

Just what I think and Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!!
Dave
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2004 - 03:16 AM UTC
Dave the point I was trying to make is simply that the postage is inevitably (for me at least) one of the principal factors. The postage from the states to here would have been at least that from HK - the TOTAL cost from HK was less than 30 €uro .

I do agree though, the strength (and continuing rise) of the €uro against the Dollar is making buying from the States an extremely attractive proposition - next will be some stuff from Formations and some books from VLS...

Another factor that has to be counted in is the service and delivery time. The biggest store here (I won't name it to preserve their blushes ) has caused me nothing but grief - advertising products which are out of stock, no notification of orders sent and when they do have the product in stock, 2-3 weeks to get here ....

As I DON'T have a LHS here I have to buy everything and I mean everything by mail. I would support a LHS, however until the distributors stop adding large percentages onto the cost - I'll continue to buy where it's cheaper - If that is HK or Japan, that's where my credit cards are going to be used...Jim
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2004 - 04:04 AM UTC
Jim I agree and that is the point I have made, it all comes down to the bottom line! Albeit my LHS is not that local but my job has me travelling around an area so I can go to a few town a week and have found a couple of very small LHS and I do my part to keep them in business against the big box stores.

Now Ray seems like a nice enough fella, but even he has said that the number one gripe they get is their shipping rates. So that would seems to me that maybe they are to high or need to find a cheaper way. Which he said they are addressing. As most people that order from overseas have done it time and time again and have some idea what shipping cost.

I just looked up what it would cost to send a package from the US to HK to be fair... a 4.4lbs or 2Kg would cost $37 for 3-5 day Global Express Mail with $200 in insurance added on to the package. That 3-5 DAY service about the fastest thing thay have! (FYI the slow boat rate is about $20)

Hey Ray here is an idea setup a drop ship location in the central US as you can ship container loads over via the slow boat pretty cheap considering there size. and the amount they hold ... 1000's and 1000's and models and supplies I don't know the size of your operation but that would bring shipping down and only a marginal increase to the bottom line as it could be staffed by only a couple of people and if you stay out of the metro areas property , labor, taxes and the rest are cheap compaired to places like LA or NYC.

Just another thought,
Dave
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2004 - 04:12 AM UTC
No, ship it to Northern Spain instead...Jim
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2004 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, ship it to Northern Spain instead...Jim

No Western Kentucky, I'd love to tell my company to stick it. Now that would be a Christmas Gift!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2004 - 05:12 AM UTC
Something that is worth consideration. US modelling distributors charge a flat rate. If you order $5 worth of decals you are gonna pay $7 or $8 for shipping. If you buy a 72nd scale U-boat the same. Order from Hong Kong and it will differ. I bought 4 metal gun barrels and actually paid less for shipping than if I had bought them from Utah or here in Texas,
 _GOTOTOP