Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Merry Christmas from the new snow belt!
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 01:35 AM UTC
Hi,, Just sending out a warm 'seasons greetings' to all those on Armorama who have shared their ideas, skills, talents, and photos with me throughout the year. I've learned very much from all of you.

I'm sitting here looking out at the latest in 'winter wonder-land' follies that Mother Nature has decided to share with us folks here in SW Ohio. I have 20 inches in the front yard now, and this IS NOT in the drifts. And to help to add to the festive seaon I hear that come Christmas morning we are going to be treated to something like a toasty -5, WITHOUT counting the wind chill factor. Now who said Alaskans have all the fun?!!!

And after spending the morning hours yesterday trying to keep the old Silverado pickup facing forward and not meeting, quite physically, anybody else on the roadways, I've also decided that come spring I'm selling this old too-light-in-the-butt thing and taking a real serious look at one of the new H3 Hummers! If I can fit it in the garage! Ha, ha!

Happy holidays to all and take care, Sgirty
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 02:01 AM UTC
Now is the time to take some wintershoots of your T34īs Larry, if they donīt sink too deep in the snow

Happy hollidays to you too, Im gonna spend my hollidays with my wife, 2 kids and an old russian lady :-)
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 02:50 AM UTC
Hi,, Your absolutely right on the T-34 kit. Spent some time yesterday white-washing this beast. Did quite a bit of research on just 'how' to accomplish this, and the more I read and studied about it the more confused I became. Finally I settled on the fact that if I wanted to put on a really sloppy half-a--, downright crappy white wash finish than that is how I had to go about doing it.. I just had to work up the courage to jump into it.

So I got out some Titanium white oil paint and a # 2 flat brush and had at it. After putting it on I washed out the brush and started going back over it here and there to 'tone' down any thick spots. And I must say that it came out looking pretty much as I wanted it to, I think.

It's a little over-done at the moment, but I hope that by adding a couple dark oil washes, a type of 'sponging' technique (using something called a make-up sponge) to reapply some of the base color here and there, various scratches, scrapes, and other weathering techniques that I've read about, various tools, boxes, ropes, a ditching bearm or two, that I should be able to tone this white wash down to a more accpetable level, or something more to my liking that I see in my mind's eye anyway.

Have ordered the 'fresh mud' kit of MIG's from R and J the other day, mainly to get that instruction booklet that's supposed to be a real winner. So we'll see about that too.

I'm operating on the idea that there's no such thing an an over-weathered Russian AFV vehicle, esp. in the winter.

Take care and have fun with your family this season, Larry.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 05:09 AM UTC
I honestly hope the snow stays out west this year.....
Had enough of it last year..... and the year before.... and the year before...... :-) :-) :-)
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 05:52 AM UTC
Hey, don't sell that Siverado short. I've got a '91 with 135 grand and change on it and all I do is let the snow pile up in back and it goes fine. Anyway, (:-) to all of you and thanx for a great year!

Art
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 06:11 AM UTC
We got a good pounding of about 6 inches in less than 5 hours last night. I work in one of the largest business district here in Metro Detroit and I swear we are the only office open for miles all the way around.