Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Why You Should Wear Safety Glasses - GRAPHIC
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 576 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 09:06 AM UTC
Those that know me or have read my bio are aware that I run a machine shop, specifically, I rebuild weapons and deactivate them for display pieces, machine parts and the like. Well, I have been around machinery most of my life and have always been a little lax at times about wearing my safety glasses. I have paid for it at times too with crap (metal, wood, etc.) in my eyes, and usually a few days of misery after that.

Well, I have pretty much reformed myself and wear safety glasses every time I run a machine, power tool, you name it! If it can throw material, I have them on.
Well, about an hour ago, I was NOT wearing my safety glasses. I wasn't running a power tool either. What I was doing was using a 3/4" diameter, 16" long round file to de-burr the inside of a machine gun receiver tube. Guess what! It slipped out the end and came up and hit me in of all places, the eye!!! It could have been worse though. Just 1/4" more higher and to theleft, and I would have no eye! So just a warning to those of you that still have a chance!! (I am too set in my ways! :-) ) Wear your safety glasses!!!

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 09:22 AM UTC
YIKES.
Toooo close man. I'm glad nothing worse happened.

Remember - dremels can be visious......
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 09:43 AM UTC
Ouch!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 09:57 AM UTC
Howdy bowjunkie,

Your safety reminder for 'all of us' is greatly appreciated. And even more appreciated by 'all of us' is the fact that you were not injured more than you were.....

I for one am probably the most hypocritical about this issue. I have been fortunate in that I was originally taught by true Master Carpenters when I was a young man, and learned carpentry/woodworking techniques that are just NOT taught anymore. A good thing right? Yes, you are correct. But, at the same token, these fine gentlemen that I learned the core of my trade from so many moons ago, never mentioned a word about personal safety......not a word. Hence, my personal safety practiceses are awful. And have almost always been. As an example, I have shot my left hand (in the first two fingers, palm and thumb) over half a dozen times over the years with various nailguns (I'm talking framing nailers that I run at over a hundred pounds pressure and shootin' 16-penny framing nails. Try that exercise once or twice.....as the father figure in Mel Gibson's film about William Wallace said, "That'll wake ya up in the mornin' boys!!" )).
So bowjunkie....your warning is absolutely accurate. And that warning should be swallowed by the younger buggers here so that they can properly protect themselves from this type of injury and follow the path of preserving their own personal safety.

Tread.

BTW......seeing yer mug up that close was, in a word.......frightening. I hope yer happy. Now I'm going to have to go see a ' Trauma' counseler!........... :-)
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 10:28 AM UTC
Hey Steve that's pretty nasty man Your a lucky dude that you did'nt mame or lose that eye. I know it all to well, safety glasses only a few steps away saying to yourself , "I'm almost done". Anyways heal up well. Oh..that's not your shooten eye..right? Happy Holidays.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 10:48 AM UTC
I think you should get a patdh and parrot.

Careful next time, I spent 20+ years around CNC and yes they are mean unforgiving creatures.

Dave
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 10:51 AM UTC

".....Oh..that's not your shooten eye..right?..."

Are you left-handed bowjunkie?

Tread.
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 11:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW......seeing yer mug up that close was, in a word.......frightening. I hope yer happy. Now I'm going to have to go see a ' Trauma' counseler!........... :-)

I seem to have that affect on people!! :-) :-) I know, I look pretty rough in that one!! Give me a break, I'm injured here!!

Actually, my eyes were watering so bad and my nose was running that I am surprised I even got the pic taken!

I
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 11:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

".....Oh..that's not your shooten eye..right?..."

Are you left-handed bowjunkie?

Tread.

Nope, I am right handed, it's my shootin eye alright! No matter, it won't stop me.

BTW, Thanks for the well wishes and the humor guys!

Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 11:27 AM UTC
ive never been against the wear of saftey glasses, i soon realized it was stupid not to wear them... try grinding steel without them: GOOD LUCK. even a drill press could be dangerous.

i guess its about time you learn ever if its the hard way lol, hey, lifes a learning thing aint it? :-)

heal fast
Frank
(i guess aas long as it doesnt ruin your modeling you'll be fine)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 12:51 PM UTC

{said in my best "Blazing Saddles" voice...}

"Safety Glasses?...........I don't need no stinking safety glasses"

All you have to do is 'squint'.....right?

Tread.

Alright, alright..........here's my safety glasses....
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 02:40 PM UTC
wow steve...

u should report that to OSHA...

Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 02:54 PM UTC
Steve,

After working ina machine shop for 30 years and also having a machine shop at home I have learned to NEVER run a machine without wearging safety(reading) glasses. Gotta' do it.

Be careful !

Cody
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 06:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve,

After working ina machine shop for 30 years and also having a machine shop at home I have learned to NEVER run a machine without wearging safety(reading) glasses. Gotta' do it.

Be careful !

Cody

Thanks guys, but I have gotten better at wearing my safety glasses, really I have !! I always wear them running any machine or power tool. If you check my first post, you will see that this was a freak accident with a stinkin hand file!!! Really hurt too!! (real sore now)
I use a 16 inch long file to deburr the inside of machine gun receiver tubes after they come off the mill. Well, the way I do it is holding the tube and file horizontally with upward pressure applied to the file and a fast back and forth motion, you know, FILING!! :-) So what happened was the file came free from inside the tube on the back stroke and the upward pressure naturally came up and socked me before I had the chance to even flinch! It was over and I was on the floor. Really thought I put my eye out at first! Felr like Tyson walloped me!!
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 01:06 AM UTC
G'day all,
Bowjunki, how far did you throw the job????
My first job was in a sawmill. Hearing protection had only just come in the mill and as for safety glasses,,,,never heard of them. But the old boss gave me one piece of advise about personal safety and that was " Never put your hands where you wouldnt put your d**k "

Cheers Jason