Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
collecting patches-how and where do i start?
Invader
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 02:13 AM UTC
I can see that alot of people here collect military objects such as helmets and patches.I would like to start collecting patches .The thing is....id don't know where to start! is there a site that you can order military patches world wide?or you need to search for a shop that sells those kind of things (which i think will be immposible in here)?.I'm not talking about some WWI one of a kind patches but on nice ones that could be bought for a cheap price ...

Rei
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 02:43 AM UTC
hi Rei,
I think your first step should be ;you have to decide what kind of patches you will collect..some patches for a country,period or unit..for example; i know a friend who collects arm patches of all flying units of Turkish Air Force since 1960s.
links can help you
http://www.lznam.com/
http://www.saundersinsignia.com/
http://militarybest.com/jacketpatches.html

ראש שנה שמח

best regards
Invader
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 37 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 03:16 AM UTC
thanks alot graywolf...for the sites and the tip...your control in the hebrew language is very impressive!
if any body has some more tips/sites/anything else to say that might help to start collecting..please tell me!

Cheers,Rei
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 01:29 PM UTC
Hi Rei i collect patches too , i collect Vietnam in country made ones
theyre often hard to find and also often quite nieve in production but i love them ,
so if theres any vets etc . out there who would like to sell some please tell me
p.m.me your address Rei and i'll sedn you some modern patches to get you started
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2005 - 11:08 AM UTC
o.k. or dont ? :-)
EMBLEMHUNTER
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 65 Posts
KitMaker Network: 26 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 02:54 PM UTC
Hello Invader and welcome to the site ! As to collecting patches, If you have an airbase near you that does air shows for the public, that is a good place to find some, ask pilots/crews/ if they have any old or spare ones that they could mail to you, sometimes they have "extras" brought with them and can either give/sell one to you.
Also here's a coulpe of sites you can post on that you're a collector of patches,
USAFpatches.com
US Militaria Forum
Militaria Collectors Forum
Militaria Collectors Network
F-16.net
Gentlemens Military Interest Club

These should get you some good contacts etc, happy collecting and Shalom !
Johnny
[email protected]
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 05:54 PM UTC
I would suggest first decide what you want to collect - originals or repros, third reich, vietnam, modern, general , etc.

Definitely most army surplus stores will have a habadashery style bin with a bunch of old patches, you can search online, visit army bases or armed forces shows/parades, pen pal with overseas personnel - and fulfill a valuable function at the same time, you can visit police stations too, if you want police patches.