_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
2$ Electric paint stirrer!
Grenade
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
entire network: 29 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 01:16 AM UTC
Hi! I was at my local IKEA store in the kitchen goods department when I saw the had an "Coffee Frother" - a tiny little electric whisk run by two AA batteries. This cost the enromous sum of 15 norwegian crowns which maounts to all of 2 and a half dollars!.

This looked suspicously like an an electric paint stirrer at my hobby store which I think went for the equivalent of 25 bucks.

So I got an IKEA whisk and cut off the whisk head with a cutting/grinding disk on my minidrill, rounded off the end of the rod, and hey presto - I've got an electric paint stirrer with an easy to clean tip for less than a tub of Tamiya paint!

The stirrer was very good at getting that good ole paint sediment in Humbrol Enamels going.

It might go a bit fast for some tastes and you will want to be careful when stirring so you don't redecorate your hobby room and any nearby furniture, models etc! :-)

If you put it in the paint before you start it and stop it before taking it out you should be OK.

With the thin rod It also works fine in narrow-necked bottled paint too!

Hope some of you find this useful - I'd appreciate any feedback!

Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 02:22 AM UTC
Ulrik,

thanks, sounds like a great idea. We just had an IKEA open up at the Mall of America this year. I'l have to make a trip there over Christmas.
Grenade
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 11:08 PM UTC
I suppose they may not stock the same products at all IKEA stores so I'm looking forward to hearing if they have it in the US stores also!

Regards Ulrik

BTW I've learned from experience - hang on to your wallet when at IKEA - every little thingy they sell seems quite cheap but when your'e at the checkout counter it always seems to add ap to a substantial amount

Grenade
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 11:15 PM UTC
Here is a link to the "milk frother" ?!? on IKEA's online catalog.

It seems the only charge you 99 cents in the US - so actually got ripped off - damn!

Have nice X-mas everyone (:-)
Grenade
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 11:17 PM UTC
Sh*t.... here's the link:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&langId=-1&productId=32281

The thingy is called "PRODUKT" so you can serach for it in the catalog!
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 12:00 AM UTC
badger,and MicroMark sell the exact thing,for 3 times what IKEA is listing.On the plus side,that is a low price.
However my experience was that the electric motor would eventually burn up the brush contacts onto the commutator.But,at that low a price,stock up. (++) (++)
 _GOTOTOP