Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Anniversary Presents, Cats in the House !
mrs_selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 12:31 PM UTC
Well folks, this is a first....

Tomorrow, the 16th of December, is Sel's and my 15th Anniversary, married 15 years and still going strong. We found out about the 40 percent sale at Hobby Lobby this week in another forum here on Armorama yesterday, and we went to Bloomington today to check out what they had.

A couple that models together.. sticks together.

What do our eyes behold at this bi-annual sale, but the German King Tiger Ardennes Front 1/35th scale by Tamiya. So, being the devoted modelers that we are, I bought one for Sel for our anniversary, and he bought one for me.. and we're planning on doing a group build (the Tiger Duos) together... he and I.... working on our Tigers together...

This calls for a celebration !!!!!!

Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 466 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 12:37 PM UTC
If memory serves me correctly, the 15th annaversery is the "Panzer" Annaversery.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 12:38 PM UTC
Cool deal Jean You two gonna super detail them? Or just build OOB? Can't wait to see them
mrs_selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 12:49 PM UTC
Don't know, since we haven't joined any campaign with these, who knows what we'll do. I'm currently working on a Panther, my second model, and just signed up for Seeing Red Campaign (doing a Moskva Helicopter Carrier) ... which is a couple months away, so I need to finish my panther before I can start on the tiger. Sel said he'd wait until I was ready to build the Tiger to work on his. So depending on what Sel does, I may try something new and super detail it. I've never done anything beyond OOB. And unless there's another campaign that will be coming up real soon that the Tiger meets the requirements for, the sky's the limit.

And I hear you are the authoritative word on Shermans ... I almost picked up a Sherman today at the Hobby Lobby 40 percent sale today. But I really enjoyed working together with Sel on the Barberossa Campaign, both of us made a sdkfz222 panzerphwagen (???? spelling) and that's how I was initiated into modeling. I'm looking forward to working again the same way with the King Tiger. That Sherman though, was mighty tempting. It was a Tamiya 150 mm Sherman M4, A4, something like that. It looked pretty tough.

generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 12:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And I hear you are the authoritative word on Shermans ... I almost picked up a Sherman today at the Hobby Lobby 40 percent sale today. But I really enjoyed working together with Sel on the Barberossa Campaign, both of us made a sdkfz222 panzerphwagen (???? spelling) and that's how I was initiated into modeling. I'm looking forward to working again the same way with the King Tiger. That Sherman though, was mighty tempting. It was a Tamiya 150 mm Sherman M4, A4, something like that. It looked pretty tough.

Awww shucks Actually it was an M4A3 105mm howitzer Basically used as support weapon That type wasn't good for anti-tank duels
mrs_selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 01:02 PM UTC
Well, I'll tell you... When Sel told me the size difference and the fire power of the King Tiger.. and the fact that he was getting a King Tiger... I decided to hold off with the Sherman and get a Tiger instead. I think my next tank will be that particular Sherman. It was very very nice.

Thanks for the info, I can now tuck it away in my model folder on my desktop and refer to it when we go scouting for a good deal on Shermans. We've gotten some really nice deals on models at Great Models. So unless Hobby Lobby is running another sale, it'll most probably be bought at Great Models. hehehehehe.. I'm turning into an Armor Modeler.

SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 01:08 PM UTC
Congrads on a long 15 years ... I can call it long because I hit 18 earlier this years. SO

You can blame me for the Hobby Lobby post and if you check their Internet Coupon every week ever so oftem they have a 50% off plastic model about 2 or 3 times a year. That the one not in the ad.

Keep us up to date on your build!

Dave
mrs_selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 01:17 PM UTC
Thanks for the congrats. 18 years you say? wow. Well, we're going strong in our married life. And it just seems to get better with each year. He's stuck with me til death do us part, and then he has to put up with me on the other side. hehehehehehehe.

Coupon? 50% off? Did you say 50% coupon?

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I blame you !!!! hehehehehehehe.... it was awesome... we must have spent like almost 2 hours.. looking in 1 aisle of models, 1/4th of the models were automobiles, so we bypassed that.

Ok, Sel just added Hobby Lobby website to his Open Groups on his browser. Now everytime he brings up his browser, it opens up the Hobby Lobby website as well as another site.

Looks like we'll be doing more model shopping in the future.

SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 01:26 PM UTC
Tha't's right 50% off They use to send the coupon straight to you e-mail but they stopped for some reason. So now you have to check their website, mine local HL doesn't require you have the coupon. They figure if you know about it then you have it or saw it. As there will be nothing in the store to tell you about it ... kinda like a secret sale for insiders.

Yep 18 years for ... never thought I'd make it past 1. Came close to ending it a few times I think when she looks at the debit account and ask "What did you spend $200 on at Hobby Lobby? Then I have to pull one of those, it was for some home improvement stuff for you honey. Which then means I have to do some home improvement. Tis life.

I'll be hitting HL again tomorrow, going to a different town so I'll see if they got again different there. Got mostly cars around here so it not that great on armor or planes.

Later
Dave
BulletTooth
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 02:29 PM UTC
Congrats!

Even though I couldn't get my gf to go near a model, she does some pretty elaborate bead work, so if we ever do get married, she can have her bead area of the shop (tucked way in the corner ) and I can have my model area of the shop, dominating most of the space in the room

Again, congrats and thank you for instilling in us unmarried folk that marriage is still a virtue and taken seriously

Cheers,

BT