_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Krylon Fusion
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 576 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 06:44 AM UTC
Don't know if any of you have tried fusion yet, but let me give a little testimonial for the product.

What is fusion? Fusion is a spray paint made specifically for plastics including vinyl. Vinyl is one of the toughest materials to get paint to stick to due to it's chemical makeup.

Anyway, for the AAAO campaign, I am doing a detailed vinyl figure and was having all kinds of trouble getting paint to stick without fisheyeing, no matter how much I cleaned and washed the parts.

After stripping and starting over a few times, I got frustrated and it dawned on me, FUSION!!

I ran down to True Value and purchased the color I needed. (No primer neccesary)

It worked like a dream!! I have also tested it on vac-form and resin parts and it works great. There are a few satin colors meant to be used as an undercoat before painting in the traditional methods.

Just wanted to share and if you are having similar trouble, I suggest you give it a try.

recon-19d
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 107 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 11:34 AM UTC
Can you use it as a primer (if you could not find the color you needed) and paint over it too?

Tom
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 576 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 11:44 AM UTC
Yes! They have several satin finishes in primer colors (grey, red, etc.) that will work great as an undercoat. This paint has superior bonding qualities for plastic.

SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 01:10 PM UTC
It's good stuff I've used it on a number of plastic and vinyl things in the course of other non-model projects.

Dave
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 01:59 PM UTC
This stuff just maybe the answer to those dreadful, non-paint taking and plastic eating tires and tracks..... I will have to seek some out and give it a try.
 _GOTOTOP