_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
WWII Staff Car what is it where is it?
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 01:56 PM UTC
I'll try to find a picture but if you know enlighten me. The staff cars you see in theater in WWII how knows what kind of car they are and if there is a model made of them in 1/35. Thanks in advance for you help. I figure it is a 1940 or early 41 model Ford or Chevy since no cars were made during the war.

Dave
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 01:57 PM UTC
well, you dont really give us much information. If it is german it is probobly a Kubelwagon. If it is US than it is probobly a Jeep. Sorry with your information I cant really help you out any better than that.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 02:10 PM UTC
Point taken, US Sedan not a jeep basicly a regular ol car that has been painted up OD with a star on it. Not being all that savy in old cars I could tell you if it's a Ford, Dodge, Plymouth etc.

Thanks hope this extra info helps.

Dave
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 02:44 PM UTC
You'd probably have to check eBay and look for some of the old 1/32 scale Lindberg kits or some other ancient out-of-business American model manufacturer.

I kinda made a WW2-style staff car a few years back: PT Cruiser Retro Staff Car.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 02:55 PM UTC
OK I found this with a little googling ... now I wonder if it's made in 1/35?

Thanks for you help gang.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 03:43 PM UTC
Top pic is a Chevy, bottom is a Pontiac. Best bet woiuld be to do as Rob says, Ebay for 1/32 cars. I think Lindberg and Airfix made 1930-40s car models that would probably fit the bill. Good luck.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 04:07 PM UTC
Found a Lindberg 1/32 1940 Ford actually found 3 but every stinking one is a convertible. I have yet to find a convertible staff car ... but who know there might have been one.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 05:15 PM UTC
there were no convertables but there was just about ever other major make. Ford, Chev, Dodge Plymouth Chrysler etc etc and some station wagons. None newer then 1942.

None to my knowledge in 1/35 although Wespe has this Canadian Ford one

hope this helps

Wespe web site is http://www.wespemodels.ro/
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 05:40 PM UTC
Thank you Senior Roo,

Perhaps with all the talent and connections on this site we should start our own modelling company and make that stuff that is missing. Like those end the rear with the gear cars and the many other things I've heard people looking for.

Dave
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 07:02 PM UTC
Dave,
I've kinda been wanting to do the same thing...a staff car that is...figured I have to visit the model car section of my LHS's and convert a 1/24 or 1/25...would work as long as you don't want to display it with anything in the military scales that are common...
highway70
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 09:37 PM UTC
US staff cars in WW2 were predominately 1942 models. There also many '41 models but fewer as the war progressed and also a very few older cars. '42 models were in production when the war started and no new models were introduced until after the war.

Staff cars were and are virtually all 4-door models.

Of course the most expensive brands and models (for instancr Packards and Cadiallacs) went to the top generals and admirals. Lower ranking generals would have mid-tier models (Buick Specials, Chevolet Special Delux, probably others). Bacic transportation would be base model Fords, Chevolet, etc.

Unfortunately the model companies products are mainly 2-door models and very few (if any) '41 or '42 cars. Converibles were mor common in the service in the '20's and early '30's

The book US Military Wheeled Vehicles by Fred W Crismon has a picture of a '38 Ford convertible at Fort Benning GA. (probably before the war). The caption says there were others, but the number is not known. Converibles were more common in the service in the '20's and early '30's
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 03:35 AM UTC
Yep the only cars I've seen in theater are 41-42 hardtop 4 doors, and the very few convertibles I've seen have all been located state side during the war. I'm not sure any model company ever made a 4 door hardtop, one of the guru's would have to answer that. I was wanting to put one in a diorama, but with the scale difference I'd have to do a forced perspective to make it make sense. I still keep looking.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 03:48 AM UTC
You could also make a 1/24-1/25 scale diorama. There are several 1/24 scale Jeeps by Hasegawa and Italeri that could look good posed next to a 1942 sedan.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 04:30 PM UTC
Ok since I'm having a little trouble locating the said cars, what about a 1940 Panel Truck (Sedan Delivery) were these used in WWII for anything? I can't find a photo of their use but I do know that early in the war we went with what we had. I haven't searched every web site on the net but so far all I'm finding is 2 doors and convertibles. So I figure a Sedan Delivery could have been used as a Ambulance or some in the rear with the gear means of transport.

Anybody got any ideas?
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 05:24 PM UTC
what sort of sedan delivery? Once again you will have to elaborate a little more here as to what era you are talking about and also which army?

Early war to the Commonwealth is 1939-40 to the US 1942-43. The british and Commonwealth used anything that was availiable.

The LRDG Chev that Tamiya does can be converted to US army 4X2 panel express, panel delivery, pickup in 1/2 ton and 1 ton rateings. Dodge supplied the same as I am sure Ford did as well. These were modified civilian models and this often meant they were painted OD with heavier tyres on them.

Hope this helps.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 05:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Once again you will have to elaborate a little more here as to what era you are talking about and also which army?

In all due respect with photographs posted, and the words US, WWII, Ford, Chevy, Dodge et.al. mentioned throughout this thread I would be hard pressed to clearify more.
However, I value your knowledge and am greatful for any help that you or others could provide.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 08:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In all due respect with photographs posted, and the words US, WWII, Ford, Chevy, Dodge et.al. mentioned throughout this thread I would be hard pressed to clearify more.
However, I value your knowledge and am greatful for any help that you or others could provide.

now the subject changed from cars to sedan deliveries and what was used in 1941/42 would not necessarily be used in 1944/45. So there fore my query on era! For instance Dodge models changed a lot in 2 short years with the old been sent out as lend lease or scrapped.

you have asked questions about a very complicated area of US and allied armies equipment. So if you want to be accurate you will have to give a little more detail.

My information on the Tamiya LRDG Chev in the post above is correct to about 1944 and most of these would have been used at home in the States and not with combat units near the front lines.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 09:15 PM UTC
One thing that Cliff and I discussed several months ago (and it was the subject of an article in FSM) was the conversion of a Ford 'Woody' Station Wagon..

There are several possibilities, Monogram had one in 1/25th and there is one available in 1/16th scale (diecast) - just an idea... Jim
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 01:07 PM UTC
Thanks for all your help gang.

I did find a 1940 Ford Hardtop Sedan 2 Door that I might turn into a WWII US Staff car (I sure hope that is clear enough:-) ), it will be taking a little artistic and creative license with a 2 door but I can not locate a 4 door anywhere and I'm not quite ready to scatchbuild one yet.

Thanks again Dave
highway70
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 04:20 PM UTC
During the war automobile production was severely limited and certain types were "standanized"

for general use:
5 Passenger Light Sedan (4 x 2), '42 Chevolet 1500 series, '42 Chevolet 2000 series, '42 Ford Model 2GA-73B, '41 Plymouth Model P-11

for Staff officiers:
5 Passenger Medium Sedan (4 x 2) '42 Plymouth Model 2001

I do not know whether or not any other types were "standardized", however it seems likely most other types used were from pre-war stocks.

According to Crismon Packard provide the majority of "metropolitian type (4 x 2) ambulances in the '38- '42 period. These were used in urban areas or on military posts in the US.

Other vehicles shown from that period:

'38 Chevolet Carryall shown at the San Antonio Quartemaster Depot in 1943

'41 Dodge station wagon (steel bodied 2-door) continued in limited production throughout the war

'41 International Model K1 station wagon (wooden body) used by Navy and Marines

Assorted '41 pick-up trucks, Chevolet, Ford, International

"41 International K1 Metro deliverly truck

There is a 1/43 diecast model of a '47 4-door sedan that looks like it could be converted to a '42. The main difference appears to be the grill.

http://www.diecastdirect.com/asp_modules/add_item.asp?ProductCode=IX035TN
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 05:43 PM UTC
http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_vehicle_id_misc.php3

try this site, it does show some staff cars and also a convertible type.

hope this helps

reb
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 10:41 AM UTC
Thanks for the info gang. I found one at the web site Sabot gave me but at €60 and shipping from Eastern Europe. It would be well over a $100. Don't want to make one that bad.

Dave
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 12:11 PM UTC
http://www.internetmodeler.com/2002/may/first-looks/plus_skoda_firstlook.htm, possible future reference for you.

http://www.fawcett-movie-cars.com/1940-1949cars.html........
a good pic reference for you, you may be able to find the model cars you need and then paint/scratch as a staff car, find thru local model shops........

hope this helps ya

reb
highway70
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 05:55 PM UTC
Hears a 1/32 diecast model of a '42 Plymouth

It is the correct model for a Plymouth staff car:

http://www.diecastdirect.com/asp_modules/add_item.asp?ProductCode=SM32311YW
 _GOTOTOP