_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Testors Dullcote Lacquer help needed.
AndyD
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 06:03 PM UTC
Hi,
I recently purchased a bottle of Testors Dullcote Lacquer. (Out of stock of the spray can)
I bought this to get rid of the shiny effect that can occur on models & figures.
The problem I have found however is that it removes or smudges the acrylic paints that I currently use. (Tamiya)
Does anyone have any suggestions of a fixitive I can use prior to the dullcote layer to protect the paint finish?
Thanks in advance,
Andy.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 10:24 PM UTC
Hello, Andy...Sounds like you have a major problem, son...I've used Dullcoat over acrilyc's before without a problem, though...according to Testors, Dullcoat is "safe" for all finishes...I can't really help you out too much, but I have been having better results with Tamiya's matte clear for final flat finishing...Hope this help's some...

Gunny
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 02:45 AM UTC
In order to properly apply bottle dullcoat, in any but the smallest spots, you need to use an airbrush. The laquer is chemically "hotter" than enamel or acrylics and will break down the surface.
I've sprayed this over oils, enamels and acrylics with no degradation of finish for years.
koschrei
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 147 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 02:46 AM UTC
The bottled product is not really usable with brushes - I have had the same experience when I try that trick - with enamels. Are you aribrushing it?

Try thinning it with Model Master Airbrush Thinner - it is hot enough to thin DullCote but is less agressive on the undercoats. Laquer thinner will dissolve pretty much anything. Thin to skim milk consistency, and apply a couple thin coats with an airbrush before trying a wet coat. Keep that thin too. If you are happy with the thin coats, stop there.

If this does not prove satisfactory, I don't think you can go wrong using Tamiya's flat coat product on top of Tamiya paint. I,m pretty sure they test that application to make sure it works.

Konrad
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 08:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't think you can go wrong using Tamiya's flat coat product on top of Tamiya paint. I,m pretty sure they test that application to make sure it works.

Konrad

NO! NO! NO! NEVER use tamiya flat on top of anything! It's supposed ot be mixed into paint before application. Used solo, it will turn your model ghostly white.
AndyD
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 10:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies fellas - a spray is definately the way to go. Alas being fairly new to the hobby I don't have one.
I do however have a (now ) empty aerosol hair spray pump pack. (and a angry wife ) heheh
Will thin it out and give it a try on one of the "demo" models I have around.
Thanks very much for the replies - oh and Konrad I have made that Tamiya base mistake before - You won't catch me out again!
Will update later tonight !
Thanks again all.
 _GOTOTOP