_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Cast A Coat question
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2004 - 04:38 PM UTC
Hi all,

when i read an article about KArl Morser in AFV Modeler magazine, i noticed that the author used a product called cast a coat to replicate metal casting texture on the surface of the plastic. The effect is nice.
where can i get this cast a coat system?? if there any other product that also can best replicate casting texture?

some examples photos taken from http://pmms.webace.com.au/reviews/books/avfmod/afvmod_karl.htm (without permission..)

thanks
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2004 - 06:01 PM UTC
Cast-a-coat is made by, and can be purchased from the small shop in the UK.

http://www.smallshopeu.com
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2004 - 07:48 PM UTC
It is a nice product... I used it on my models and liked it very much.

Mario.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2004 - 08:07 PM UTC
thanks Sticky and Maki for your replies. I have visited the link and the price is surely a bomb to me if the shipping cost is took into consideration. Is any cheap alternative to get this product somewhere near me??
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 12:56 AM UTC
You may want to try Rainbow 10 in Japan. I think they carry his products.
jpzr
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 316 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 05:48 AM UTC
A cheaper alternative would be Gunze Sangyo's Mr. Surfacer. While I am sure Cast-a-Coat presents several advantages, Mr. Surfacer will also allow you to build up great cast textures. You may find it more readily available on your side of the globe, and it will certainly be more economical.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 06:57 AM UTC
Our own Vodnik wrote a nice article on using Mr. Surfacer to texture model surfaces...

Texturing surfaces

Mario.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 08:27 AM UTC
Then to be really economical, or if you can't get or afford the other stuff...... good old fashion cheap liquid cement works rather well.
brush a little on what you want to get the cast effect to, then stiple with a stiff brush, the softened plastic will take on a cast effect.
Let dry several days, then give a little gentle rub down with a little fine steel wool, or green scrubby pad to remove any hanging on stringy things.
Just have a window open, since the fumes can get pretty strong doing this. I usually will have a small fan exhusting out the window.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 12:40 PM UTC
thanks for all of your answer guys...

Quoted Text

You may want to try Rainbow 10 in Japan. I think they carry his products.

i try a few search at rainbow 10 website but there is none of it on stocks. I will email them later to find out.

Quoted Text

A cheaper alternative would be Gunze Sangyo's Mr. Surfacer. While I am sure Cast-a-Coat presents several advantages, Mr. Surfacer will also allow you to build up great cast textures. You may find it more readily available on your side of the globe, and it will certainly be more economical.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Our own Vodnik wrote a nice article on using Mr. Surfacer to texture model surfaces...

Texturing surfaces

Mario.

i have heard of this method before. and i have seen it at my local friend house. i have try this also before but the effect was not convincing as what i seen on the magazine...
anyway, thanks for the answer and the link by Mr. Vodnik...i will try his method ...

Quoted Text

Then to be really economical, or if you can't get or afford the other stuff...... good old fashion cheap liquid cement works rather well.
brush a little on what you want to get the cast effect to, then stiple with a stiff brush, the softened plastic will take on a cast effect.
Let dry several days, then give a little gentle rub down with a little fine steel wool, or green scrubby pad to remove any hanging on stringy things.
Just have a window open, since the fumes can get pretty strong doing this. I usually will have a small fan exhusting out the window.

thanks old man... that's a good tip for me to try with a scrap plastic
 _GOTOTOP