_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Sandpaper?
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 03:15 AM UTC
Hi Everybody,

I'm wondering what you guys and gals do for sandpaper. It seems that I'm always running down and buying another pack of the Testors' wet-dry multi-grit packages and I'm wondering if there is another alternative. ie larger sheets of various grits.

I do wash it off and try to 'stretch it out' best I can, but it tends to wear out after awhile. It sure would be nice to find a semi-lifetime's worth somewhere.

Curious to see if there is an alternative...

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 03:21 AM UTC
WHen I need sandpaper, I use regular sand paper you get at like Home Depot or Aco
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 03:34 AM UTC
I've had good luck with 3M fine and super fine sanding sponges. Any hardware store would carry them, in the paint section. You can cut them to any shape you want. They have larger grains as well. One 6"x4" sheet is about $2.50 or so. Then I hit the beauty counter at Osco or Wal-mart, and pick up some of those sanding sticks women use on their nails. Very cheap and effective (the sticks, not the women). If they have a polishing stick, all the better. Smooths out my mistakes very neatly.

Mike

Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 03:40 AM UTC
Like the others, I just get regular sandpaper from the hardware store. I use 400 and 600 grit mostly. I would also suggest getting some 0000 steel wool. This stuff is great for really smoothing out the piece after sanding.

Nic
kkeefe
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 04:58 AM UTC
...thanks all for the pointers. I'll certainly be heading to the local HW store. I didn't think that you could get SP that fine for plastic and resin there. I'll check it out....

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 05:02 AM UTC
I would not even THINK of spending good money on specialized modeling sandpaper. It is dirt cheap in DIY stores.
For heavy duty sanding (resin parts) I use a kind of gritted sandpaper, that looks a bit like the stuff you put in your window to keep mosquitos out. It is used for sanding walls, and can be used over and over again. because it is gritted, the dust gets away between the little holes, not blocking the sandpaper grit like you would have with normal paper.
!!! Use a mask when sanding resin !!!
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 05:11 AM UTC
I´ll agree, just try some wet and dry sandpaper, I use 3M and have no complains. Chose from 320 until 2000 grit.
And I bet they´re not too expensive.
HTH
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 07:43 AM UTC
I like the stuff you use but its about the most expensive way to go. You can get a bunch of wet dry at the hardware store for probably less. I have also found stuff similar the the testor stuff that is cheaper at hobby stores, you may look for it if you are happy with the testors stuff. Also squadron and some other companies make sanding sticks that I love to use myself. They seem to hold up better than regular paper. When they start to get clogged I hit them with a wire brush and clean them out. This works several times befor they are used up. I wouldn't be affraid to spend a little extra if you find something you like to use. If your use to something and it works better for you in the long run thats whats most important to me.
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 08:09 AM UTC
I agree with nic, getting some nice finishing steel wool really helps. Especially when trying to get figure bases to be smooth after a rough paint job. I am pretty sure that steel wool won't alter the plastic too much, unless applyed directly too it for a significant amount of time.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 09:45 AM UTC
Hi Kevin..............I agree with all. I but my fine & medium grits in full
sheet's of the 3M brand, at my local hardware store. One sheet
of each grit will last a good year or two...and then some.
I ALSO MAKE MY OWN SANDING STICKS - SEE LINK
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/24

- ralph
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ralph,

Thanks for the article and your reply.... as well as all the others... I'll be off to the HW store this weekend.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature

No problemo Kevin ............ spending $10 to $12 will no doubt be money
well spent, and the supplies should last you a good long time.
Oh ....if the HW store doesn't carry the sticks........you can find them in any
of the craft's department at Wal-mart - Ames - and stores alike.
You get about 200 to 300 sticks per bag for $2.50

- ralph
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 10:53 PM UTC
Kevin, there's a reason God invented Spag's...sandpaper...bulk #1 X-acto blades...etc. :-)
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 11:35 PM UTC
You may have a hard time finding the really fine stuff at a hardware store (I do here) but you can get really fine sandpaper at stores that sale auto repair stuff (your local auto parts store perhaps).

As far as sanding sticks go, the best thing I've found that works for me is a fingernail buffing stick I found in the cosmetic section of WalMart (I only go in that section when the wife is with me so I can use her as cover...lol). It's double sided with four grades of grit. It's not actually sandpaper on the stick but rather course to very fine fabric. I use it to finish up seams after hitting them with the wet-dry sandpaper. Starting with the roughest section and progessing to the ultra-fine (buffing) section, it's a four-step process that yields a really spectacular finished joint.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 04:34 AM UTC
One thing to watch for with making your own sanding sticks is warped wood. Sometimes they warp after the glue is put on, but not that often. the glue that works best in my experience is Marine Goop. It is waterproof so you can use it wet if you want. To be honest I just by the sticks ready made now because they seem to work better for me. Sanding isn't the funnest part of modeling to me so the faster and better its done the happier I am, and the right tools have a lot to do with that.

Also, one thing is rarely the best thing in all situations. In an effert to find what works best I have aquired a lot of different sanding tools. Most of them are still in use. With all the different things you have to sand (angles, putty, flash, curved,etc. just to name a few) it seems one tools is better for each one. Sure you can use a plain sheet of sandpaper for everything and have a model turn out great, I just like to do things the easy way if it turns out better by doing so.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 06:01 AM UTC
I use 3different grits : 400, 600, 1000.
One sheet of each will last me a long time and they are so cheap at my local crafts store !
 _GOTOTOP