Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
"Jordanian-Israeli border experience"-1984
Invader
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 03:19 AM UTC
My father,who served in the Israeli infantry as a mortar gunner in the Jordanian border in the 80's told me once about this incident: The border was pretty much quiet that evening, no terrorists trying to invade,no suuden firing,no nothing.Anyway a group of Jordanian men went fishing in the Jordan river that was a closed military base in both sides,the worried and confused commander orderd to shot light shells in the air to warn those men,but they continued fishing.The commander orodered to fire bullets while aimng to the air and the to the ground. the Jordanian troops were very shocked once they noticed the shooting, and since they knew the israeli base radio channel they screamd to the Israeli soldiers in the radio "Chalas!" a word that means in both languages (hebrew and arabic) stop that!. Evantually ,no body got hurt,but this real story shows how tence the situation was in all the borders durin the Lebhanon war at all borders,even those that were calm. I also think this incident is a great idea for a diorama
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 05:20 AM UTC
I spent a few years in Lebanon in the early 80's (82-85) and spent a lot of time in Isreal and the area around there I thought of down a road a bit to do a campaign of the Lebanon War which is becoming almost forgotten here in the states.

Dave