_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Using pigments....
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 298 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 09:03 PM UTC
Hi Gang...

While surfing the net for an article on using pigments, I ran into this site.
Maybe it can be interesting for those who, like me, are going to take the plunge into pigments!!

Enjoy, John,

http://www.missing-lynx.com/rare_world/rw05.htm
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 03:53 AM UTC
Thanks for the link John

hmmm one thing i dont understand..

do you apply the 'pigment' dry or wet?

i long wanted to try out this technique but am afraid of screwing up my models...but i do not know how!
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 04:08 AM UTC
Hey Danny,

In the article both techniques of dry applying, and with turpentine, alcohol, or matt varnish, are mentioned.
When you apply dry, be advised to "seal" it, or your work will be damaged when you touch the model.

HTH, John.
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 06:09 AM UTC
Missing Lynx is a pretty good site, been reading it for awhile. I actually found it before I found Armorama.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 4,342 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 08:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When you apply dry, be advised to "seal" it, or your work will be damaged when you touch the model.

John,

I think you may be surprised to read the text below. It is a quote from an email I received from Miguel Jimenez, the master of pigment application and creator of MIG Production pigments. I asked him if I should seal pigments with flat varnish:

"NOOO, No Pawel, nooooooo no varnish, no varnish!!!!!!!!

Listen me.....I am a poor modeller also. I haven't too special display for my models, and I live near the street, near a garden, where in summer there are dust and sun!. But my models still in perfect conditions. I never has used varnish, because as you say it change the look.

Well, Marcus and my self we have adventage over others, because we can take pictures of our models, to publish it in magazines and after that, we can abandonated the model, because is not useful. But ...I use my models for entry in contest or exhibitions around the world, and I need to protect very well my models after publish it.

You can use another tips for work with pigments, for example.

If your model is a modern tank, in satin color.....if you apply the pigment directly on the satin surface, it will be removed easily. But is you apply before pigments, a soft coat of tamiya buff or earth with Airbrush, and after that you apply the pigment, it will be fixed easily on a MATT surface.

My models...you can touch with fingers after to eat a hamburger and the pigment still on the surface...and is the same pigments as yours!!!! ;-)

use the matt-satin surfaces as combination, even in IIWW vehicles.

Apply big quantity....exageratin the effects, not soft or light effects.

And of course...in the first stage of pigment coats...apply thinner. Second coats without thinner. only pigments. Try it please."

Pawel
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Apply big quantity....exageratin the effects, not soft or light effects.

I think there is a hint there. When I apply dry pigments, I go to town. I cover the required area with a large amount of pigment, and then brush the excess of with either a brush or cloth. The only time I use pigments wet is when I want a built up, for example in the tracks.

Henk
bbtoys
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 93 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 04:04 PM UTC
Here are some other useful links (no connection with MMP except that I purchased pigments from them).

Cheers, Richard

http://www.ww2modelmaker.com/articlepub/mmpatrdd.htm

http://www.ww2modelmaker.com/articlepub/MMPhowtogd.htm
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2004 - 06:30 AM UTC
Thanks Vodnik,
For the addition you made, I thought you had to seal it with hairspreay or something, so it couldn't "smear".
But when I see you got your info first hand, I must be wrong on this one!!!

Thanks again, John.
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2004 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But is you apply before pigments, a soft coat of tamiya buff or earth with Airbrush, and after that you apply the pigment, it will be fixed easily on a MATT surface.

Hi Pawel,

thanks for the info

but i still dont get it... so it means that BEFORE i use the pigments, i'll just spray my work with some BUFF or EARTH colour from Tamiya and then apply the pigment dry... and after that even if i touch it, the pigments wont be smeared around?

steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2004 - 10:39 PM UTC
i use mig pigments almost all the time now
i tried a good few other manufacturers but they look far to false actually i do like a sheen on my models it does add life to them and often without it they can look dead!
i found that mig pigments also stayed well uder a varnish applied very gently and gradually
nothing other than mig pigments were used to weather this hetzer and nothing more on my king tiger either! i cant recommend them enough!!!
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2004 - 11:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here are some other useful links (no connection with MMP except that I purchased pigments from them).

So how do you like MMP? I have used Mig and like them but wanted to know if these are as good. I sure do like the color selection MMP has.
Viking
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
entire network: 112 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 04:05 AM UTC
Hi!
If you like, I have another source of information for dealing with pigments.
The first one is on the pigments and the applying itself:
Pigments

the second is an example how I used several techniques to weather and get dirt on a Panzer III (so far only in German language, but with some in-progress pictures:

Dirtying a tank
 _GOTOTOP