_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Decal sets and solutions
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2004 - 10:14 PM UTC
In Turkorama forum,we have discussed the uses of decal sets and solutions. There are many modelers using vinegar,diluted vinegar or vinegar+drops of detergant instead of decal sets because both having asetic acid. We also figured out the MSDS(microsol) is made of only water and asetic asid.
I wanted to share this and to know what y'all thinking on that.
best regards
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2004 - 11:04 PM UTC
Well.... they do smell like vinegar :-)
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 298 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 12:58 AM UTC
Hey Engin...

Since Micro Sol and Set isn't that expensive here in Holland, I'll keep on using this product.
I'm very satisfied with the results, even zimmerit isn't a problem!!

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/40817&page=1

Grtz, your pal, John.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 02:17 AM UTC
I've used Testors brand and the Microsol and microset but I've found the best for me to be solvaset... takes some getting use to how it works and Its a bit to strong if not used carfully but it does the job... and its a good thing I dont' live in California because it contains a chemical know to the state of California to cause Cancer.........
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 05:40 PM UTC
LOL.... life causes cancer in Cali..... :-) :-) :-) :-) I should talk, living in cancer alley Jersey.... but we don't warn you.......
I use them all..... and on some decals even solvaset has no effect...... The old Monogram ones acted like they were printed on sheet metal..... Solvaset, one of the strongest would just bead up and roll off..... :-) :-) :-) :-)
I've tried the vinegar, seems to work. But since I got the others, will probably just use them up.
I think how a set works depends a lot on the printing process, and carrier film..... see note above about old monogram's.....
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 01:38 AM UTC
I'll agree with you there.. on Tamiya Decals it takes several applications to snug some of the decals down on uneven surfaces.. and on Dragon decals which seem much thinner u just have to put a drop on em or they can just fall apart..

by the way anyone ever order and use the Deluxe finishing system from the Micromark catalog.. blurb says it comes with 5 1oz bottles of solutions that set, soften, and coat decals to make the film invisible. and if anyone ever has how well did it work...

_GOTOTOP