History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Stephen Ambrose
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 12:56 AM UTC
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone else has heard that Stephen Ambrose has lung cancer?

I just read it on a wire story. Said he has known since April and is trying some experimental chemotherapy .

I have to confess, I'm not a huge fan of his writing, but he sure has done great things as far as making people aware of the sacrifices of the WWII generation. I would love to get down to the D-Day museum too.

Too bad about this, he's still a pretty young guy with a lot left to say I'm sure. Maybe it will work out OK.

Steve

PS - What's the news about the national WWII memorial in D.C.? I know it hasn't been a priority since 9/11, but I sure think they should get started on something. It would be nice if veterans were still alive by the time they get what's been too long in coming...
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 03:05 AM UTC
Sad but true.

I have read a number of his books and I like his style. I know that he's had some recent issues with not including his sources, but I must admit that I am a big fan of his, not only for his writing skills, but also for his historical knowledge and all that he's done to preserve the facts from "The Greatest Generation" to quote Tom Brokaw.

I hope that all goes well with the treatments.... hoping that only the best will happen.

A smoker too.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone else has heard that Stephen Ambrose has lung cancer?

I just read it on a wire story. Said he has known since April and is trying some experimental chemotherapy .

I have to confess, I'm not a huge fan of his writing, but he sure has done great things as far as making people aware of the sacrifices of the WWII generation. I would love to get down to the D-Day museum too.

Too bad about this, he's still a pretty young guy with a lot left to say I'm sure. Maybe it will work out OK.

Steve

PS - What's the news about the national WWII memorial in D.C.? I know it hasn't been a priority since 9/11, but I sure think they should get started on something. It would be nice if veterans were still alive by the time they get what's been too long in coming...

Steve--we will both be very old men before they finish the WW II Memorial. The location on the Mall is hotly contested by one and all. The Army is setting up an Army Museum at Fort Belvoir, but everything else is in a holding pattern...
DJ
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 09:26 AM UTC
I'm very saddened by this new's ............I hope for the best for him.
I get goose-pimples when I hear him speak - He really know's how
to spark the patriotism in an American.
I like when he said
Quote: "You know why the Atlantic Wall failed ? ...........because
of the men who went up against it "

My prayer's are with Mr. Ambrose
- ralph
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve--we will both be very old men before they finish the WW II Memorial. The location on the Mall is hotly contested by one and all. The Army is setting up an Army Museum at Fort Belvoir, but everything else is in a holding pattern...
DJ

DJ,

I don't want to debate it here, but the location is a problem issue. I do wish there was some bending on both sides so they could come up with a place for this important tribute to folks who helped to save the world. It's really a shame there is no national memorial. I think the new Korean monument is great and of course the Vietnam wall. I would like to see something classic in design for the WWII memorial when finished...

Steve
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 10:13 AM UTC
I too am a big fan of Mr. Ambrose. I also was aware of his recent condition. Hopefully he will experience a 'miracle'. For what he has done to make the average American aware of the sacrifices of the 'Greatest Generation', I feel 'spending' a miracle on him would be a worthy investment by the 'powers that be'...

As to his writing skill.....personally I don't feel his is a 'writer' per se, what he is IMHO is a good 'compiler'. He has the skill to take multiple pieces of info and compile them into a coherent, easy to read Story. Sorry, for my 'technical' critique Stephen, please forgive me...

Tread.
Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 10:32 AM UTC
Maybe all of us could say a small prayer to the "powers that be" for that miracle to come. I'm a New Orleanian, and have been able to see some of the things that Mr. Ambrose has done, such as the D-Day museum, and the Eisenhower Center at UNO. I had the privelege of going to a parade of WWII vets the day that the Pacific Wing of the museum opened. Absolutly amazing. For all that people may say about his writing, he has done a wonderful job of helping us to remember the sacrifices made by those who came before. If it hadnt been for a couple of those easier to read books, I probably would have never read any of MacDonald's or John Eisenhowers book on the Ardennes, or Ryan's book on Market-Garden. And who knows, I might still be building models of cars! (Gasp!!!) :-) :-) :-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 07:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

DJ

DJ,

I don't want to debate it here, but the location is a problem issue. I do wish there was some bending on both sides so they could come up with a place for this important tribute to folks who helped to save the world. It's really a shame there is no national memorial. I think the new Korean monument is great and of course the Vietnam wall. I would like to see something classic in design for the WWII memorial when finished...

Steve

Steve--the Korean War Memorial is one of the most impressive sights in DC. The location of the proposed WW II Memorial makes sense as it is envisoned to be between the Korean and Vietnam Memorials. However, most folks will tell you it will destroy the current symmetry created by the Lincoln Memorial, Reflecting Pond, Washington Monument. There are plenty of alternate sites that would equally serve to honor the veterans of WW II. I just do not think anyone is fired up about doing it.
DJ
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 10:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As to his writing skill.....personally I don't feel his is a 'writer' per se, what he is IMHO is a good 'compiler'. He has the skill to take multiple pieces of info and compile them into a coherent, easy to read Story. Sorry, for my 'technical' critique Stephen, please forgive me...

Tread.

I agree 100% Tread. But, I haven't read any of his Eisenhower books or his Lewis and Clark stuff either so I can't really speak with any authority. I think his real strength, as opposed to many other researchers, is to bring some passion and a voice to the subject. You know, I'd love to go and hear him speak.

Steve
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve--the Korean War Memorial is one of the most impressive sights in DC. The location of the proposed WW II Memorial makes sense as it is envisoned to be between the Korean and Vietnam Memorials. However, most folks will tell you it will destroy the current symmetry created by the Lincoln Memorial, Reflecting Pond, Washington Monument. There are plenty of alternate sites that would equally serve to honor the veterans of WW II. I just do not think anyone is fired up about doing it.
DJ

Yeah, I think that big open area you mention has a lot of significance for many Americans. A lot of important events have taken place between the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Mounument in the latter half of the 20th century.

Also, you see it used as a back-drop for so many movies and shows that it seems hard to imagine something built in that area.

Oh well, maybe after the next war the WWII folks will finally get a national tribute...

Steve
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Tread.

I agree 100% Tread. But, I haven't read any of his Eisenhower books or his Lewis and Clark stuff either so I can't really speak with any authority. I think his real strength, as opposed to many other researchers, is to bring some passion and a voice to the subject. You know, I'd love to go and hear him speak.

Steve

Steve-I read the Lewis and Clark book and his writing on Crazy Horse and Custer. They are great books. The problem I have with his WW II books are that they are as Tread points out compilations. If you read his "Band of Brothers" you will see large portions of it in "Eisenhower's Boys," "D-Day, the Climatic Battle," and "Citizen Soldiers." There is little new material. You read one you see large bits of the others. I also thought his "Nothing Like It In The World" about the transcontinental railroad was a bomb...yuck, dull! I would not argue that he is factually incorrect in his WW II works, just that they are very similiar.
DJ
Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 01:37 AM UTC
I would agree with that. I recently read "Parachute Infantry" by David Webster, (it has been re-printed), and found many passages from that book eerily (sp?) familiar with some passages of "Band of Brothers". I think they were mostly credited, but I'm not sure. And this seems to be where most of his trouble lies. As far as the monument goes, I really,really hope something is done before there are none of these man left to honor. It's a long time overdue.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would agree with that. I recently read "Parachute Infantry" by David Webster, (it has been re-printed), and found many passages from that book eerily (sp?) familiar with some passages of "Band of Brothers". I think they were mostly credited, but I'm not sure. And this seems to be where most of his trouble lies. As far as the monument goes, I really,really hope something is done before there are none of these man left to honor. It's a long time overdue.

I certainly will become better informed on the status of the WW II Memorial. It had a full head of steam before the terrorist attacks. I can envision several sites other than the Mall where the Monument would receive the appropriate level of notice and dignity. Off the top of my head the area on the Virginia side of the Memorial Bridge leading to Arlington has some very appropriate areas for placement.
DJ